Comments about the juno106

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Spaceheater184

Post by Spaceheater184 » Mon Dec 24, 2007 6:42 am

Wow, lots of good responses. Yeah, I've been asking around about that unison thing. It was really bugging me for a bit. I don't use the unison at all...it just sounds weird and kinda useless to me. I had been wondering about the ax60...is there a way you can detune the ax60's voices and get a stacked unison?
Gear: Korg EMX, Yamaha CS1x.

memo

Post by memo » Mon Dec 24, 2007 1:55 pm

Spaceheater184 wrote:I had been wondering about the ax60...is there a way you can detune the ax60's voices and get a stacked unison?
The AX-60 is a VCO synth, so it's not prone to the nasty phasing problems of DCO unison. I think it might have a small amount of detuning built-in to its unison button (at least it sounds like it does). But you can't turn up the detune.

Synthaholic
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Motif XS6, TX802, D-550, A6

Post by Synthaholic » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:52 pm

I was playing with one of the 106es I got on eBay the other night, including the infamous unison mode. I discovered if you use portamento (even a small amount, but more than 0) in unison mode, you'll get a much fatter sound. It's as if the voices glide at slightly different rates, so they end up more detuned/out of phase, and much fatter sounding.

Here's another neat effect you can get on the 106. Start in poly mode, and play 6 different notes, preferably in different octaves. Then switch to unison, turn on portamento, and set the portamento dial up high (to get a slow glide). Strike a note and hold it, and the 6 voices will individually glide from their original pitches and "merge" into the note you're playing.

I know people say the 6 or 60 are fatter or warmer sounding, but I would find the lack of portamento more of a limitation. Sure, the 106 lacks the arpeggiator, but with MIDI that's a non-issue.
Two VCO: thanks to the push rods, one can choose several forms of waves at the same time!
(from a Babelfish translation of a Jupiter-6 site)

Yamaha: Motif XS6, TX802 Roland: D-550 Alesis: A6 Andromeda

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:40 pm

Regarding Junos and unison, I'll instead go for an Alpha Juno playing three octaves in chord mode every time. Half its presets just make me grin like an idiot for no apparent reason. Mad inspiration? Perhaps.
The 106's I have played sounded nice and seemed versatile enough if that's any endorsement. Whether one will inspire you or not requires some time with the instrument.
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

ramos

Post by ramos » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:25 pm

I would get a Juno-6 or 60 instead.

Midi kits are pretty cheap if you need it.

veer chasm

Post by veer chasm » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:27 pm

I love the way you can layer the 106 in with other instrument without taking up a lot of bandwith. The AX60 is a very different beast, tonally it's a bit edgier. The Unison mode is far more useable then the 106's, to my ears.
Past&Present: Moog LP2 SE, Akai AX60, Nord Lead 2X/Rack, Roland Juno 106/JX8P/JX3P/Jupiter 6/Juno 60/HS60/D50, Alesis Ion/MMT8/SR18, Korg DS10
Oberheim Matrix 6R/OB8, Yamaha TG33/PF10, Ensoniq ASR10, Waldorf MicroQ, Peavey DPM SP/SX, Kurzweil k2000S

Neonlights84
Gear: Moog Minimoog Model D
Behringer DeepMind12
Novation UltraNova
Korg MS20 mini
Korg EMX-1
Band: Winter's Glow

Post by Neonlights84 » Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:48 pm

Bitexion wrote:Oh the Juno is completely lovely, the entire synth is one massive sweet spot. I've found it quite impossible to make BAD sounds on it. And I've done my share of programming :) But the unison mode is a waste without any way of detuning the voices.

Sure, on something like the Prophet-5, you don't need a unison detune function because the 5 voices are never EXACTLY the same pitch so it will sound wide, fat and awesome. Not the case here. Lovely synth otherwise, with an amazing range of sounds. I'm guessing the Unison mode was just something they threw in there as an afterthought because other synths have it.

My 106 never had either a battery failure nor any faulty voices. I guess I was lucky with my specimen. It now belongs to the great Norwegian band Monomen anyways. Ran out of space in my small apartment eventually.
I just purchased this synth from the thread starter...and man now i get why everyone makes such a big deal about the juno 6/60/106...I can honestly say that i have no desire for a jupiter 6/8 anymore...and I know it can't do as much and its DCO vs VCO and so on. But i refuse to pay that kind of money when the 106 can fill that niche quite easily. They don't make them like this anymore.
Gear: Novation Ultranova, Korg Monotribe, Korg Electribe EMX-1, Electro-Harmonix Memory Boy, Lexicon MX200.

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Post by OriginalJambo » Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:00 am

Neonlights84 wrote:They don't make them like this anymore.
What, with dodgy voice chips?

Only kiddin'. ;)

Sealed

Post by Sealed » Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:13 am

JUGEL wrote:I prefer my AX60 to both.. It's like a little dumbed down 1 OSC Jupiter 6.
A very interesting metaphor.
xpander wrote:but i love the alpha Juno 2: dark pads + velocity sensitivity = win. biggest gripe is its limited sonic palette.
Ditto. I like my compact Alpha-1. Though limited, every sound is useful when created with Alpha.

OT: Does anyone know why the name 106?
JUNO-6 = 6 Voice, JUNO-60 = extended version .... very understandable.
Why not, for example, JUNO-606?

elsongs

Post by elsongs » Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:56 am

Tip: If you ever harvest a Juno 106 for its 80017A chips, leave one good chip installed and try to rig the Unison switch that it defaults to ON. Voila - A Monophonic Juno with no weird unison phasing!

Synthaholic
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Motif XS6, TX802, D-550, A6

Post by Synthaholic » Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:05 am

elsongs wrote:Tip: If you ever harvest a Juno 106 for its 80017A chips, leave one good chip installed and try to rig the Unison switch that it defaults to ON. Voila - A Monophonic Juno with no weird unison phasing!
I bet a creative hacker could reverse-engineer the 106's firmware and burn a new EPROM with unison detune added.
Two VCO: thanks to the push rods, one can choose several forms of waves at the same time!
(from a Babelfish translation of a Jupiter-6 site)

Yamaha: Motif XS6, TX802 Roland: D-550 Alesis: A6 Andromeda

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Post by OriginalJambo » Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:43 am

Sealed wrote:OT: Does anyone know why the name 106?
JUNO-6 = 6 Voice, JUNO-60 = extended version .... very understandable.
Why not, for example, JUNO-606?
The SH-101 is a bit like a more up-to-date, redesigned SH-1 so calling the more modern, redesigned Juno-6 a 106 kinda makes sense to me.