What misconceptions about your synths drive you nuts?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Post by OriginalJambo » Tue Dec 25, 2007 12:33 pm

neandrewthal wrote:What do you think 90% of the sounds in the mainstream pop and rap garbage you listen to was made with?(if we count samplers and romplers)
Decks. ;)

Analogue Crazy
Gear: Alesis Andromeda
Korg MS20 Mini
Korg Micro Preset
Korg DS-8
Yamaha Motif 7
Yamaha DX11

Post by Analogue Crazy » Tue Dec 25, 2007 12:44 pm

"The CS-20M and CS-40M are beaten by the CS-15".

I totally disagree. The CS-20M and CS-40M are hard to compare to the CS-15 because they have a different sound character and have different features. I hate it when people compare the M series to the 5/10/15/30. They may be CS synths but they have a different character and personallity.

Merry Chrismas in the UK! :D
A6 Andromeda, MS20 Mini, M500SP, DS-8, Motif 7, DX11,

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Tue Dec 25, 2007 12:50 pm

pricklyrobot wrote:
JSRockit wrote:I was just joking...I actually have no problem with someone saying I make beats...because that is basically what I do... it's not jazz or anything... it's pretty basic.
I'm more annoyed by the inaccurate word choice (for instance, there's no way playing a synth lead line or a guitar solo can fit into the phrase "making beats" in my mind) than I am by people not being impressed by the complexity of what I do or whatever. Because nothing I do is too awful complex either; it's all just rock-n-roll.

So I guess this gripe actually belongs in my ever-expanding grammatical annoyances folder.
True...but who cares if the average joe gets what you do. I don't.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

pricklyrobot
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pricklyrobot » Tue Dec 25, 2007 5:08 pm

JSRockit wrote:
pricklyrobot wrote:
JSRockit wrote:I was just joking...I actually have no problem with someone saying I make beats...because that is basically what I do... it's not jazz or anything... it's pretty basic.
I'm more annoyed by the inaccurate word choice (for instance, there's no way playing a synth lead line or a guitar solo can fit into the phrase "making beats" in my mind) than I am by people not being impressed by the complexity of what I do or whatever. Because nothing I do is too awful complex either; it's all just rock-n-roll.

So I guess this gripe actually belongs in my ever-expanding grammatical annoyances folder.
True...but who cares if the average joe gets what you do. I don't.
Because nitpicking is my other, less popular, hobby. :wink:
Arturia MiniBrute -- bits o' Euro -- Sammich SID -- E-mu MP-7 -- Korg ER-1 -- Thingamagoop

Entropy Farmer

Post by Entropy Farmer » Tue Dec 25, 2007 10:14 pm

JSRockit wrote:True...but who cares if the average joe gets what you do. I don't.
The logical disconnect makes me froth at the mouth.

PPG_HOSHII!

Post by PPG_HOSHII! » Wed Dec 26, 2007 12:14 pm

Interesting topic!

This is all reading like a giant synth review on Sonic State.

To contribute, I really hate it when people describe a synth as:

"The poor mans _____(insert 'better' synth here)"

[/i]

Martin P268
No Longer Registered

Post by Martin P268 » Wed Dec 26, 2007 2:30 pm

It doesn't exactly annoy me, but I feel sort of pity for people who say "why bother with old limited DX synths, while you can get FM7/FM8 software" - they sound different, feel different and are everything the DX series is not, minus some sonic overlap in certain patches.

PitchBender
Gear: 4 electribes and a case of beer.
Band: Pigslice

Post by PitchBender » Wed Dec 26, 2007 4:19 pm

atom wrote:"wow that's some nice 'organs'" (when looking at my synth stand)

"this thing has no keys, how do you play it" (when looking at my desktop/rack gear
I hate it when the non-music person assumes a synth is an "electronic piano".

me: "wow I got a killer new synth"
lamer: "oh, i didn't know you could play the keyboard"
me: *head assplodes*

stephen
Gear: Laptop
House Brick
Renoise
Loomer Aspect
FM8

Post by stephen » Wed Dec 26, 2007 5:35 pm

PitchBender wrote:
atom wrote:"wow that's some nice 'organs'" (when looking at my synth stand)

"this thing has no keys, how do you play it" (when looking at my desktop/rack gear
I hate it when the non-music person assumes a synth is an "electronic piano".

me: "wow I got a killer new synth"
lamer: "oh, i didn't know you could play the keyboard"
me: *head assplodes*
Hmm, I get "what's a synthesiser?", but that thread was done ages ago! But I've also heard "Oh, you're a DJ then?"

Another one:
"<insert consumer keyboard> is better because its got built in speakers" -- :roll:

One for softsynth users:
"I use Dance eJay - that's a bit like your <insert_major_league_DAW>"
Stephen(2)

michael stein
Band: S U R V I V E

Post by michael stein » Wed Dec 26, 2007 10:25 pm

"I dont want a 12+ bit sampler, I want an 8-bit sampler for that early 80s sound"

Correct me if im wrong but dont all higher bit samplers have the ability to lower the bit rate for storage reasons, and if its about the analog filters in some early samplers like the emulator II. why not just run your samples via your analog mono synth that more than likely has an external input to the filter?

bsh

Emulation, grrrr

Post by bsh » Wed Dec 26, 2007 11:20 pm

I hate it when companies say that their software synth "emulates" a classic analog synth (since they should know better).

Emulation (when a computer scientist says it) is when you put two things in a black box and the SAME THING comes out of both- you can't tell the difference because there is none. One real minimoog does not even emulate the one to roll out of the factory right before it, strictly speaking.

You can emulate any digital system with a sufficiently powerful computer but in the strictest sense you can't even emulate a digital synth unless it has a complete digital signal path down to the outputs (but do I think digital software synths are cooler since you model far less)

So I only ask for honesty, it's a really good imitation/model of an existing analog synth (some better than others). Just admit it.

Certain people would hate software a lot less if people didn't try to claim it did the exact same thing. Saying something sounds good and saying something sounds exactly the same are two different things, and companies hurt themselves in the end by confusing the debate because people ultimately care whether or not it sounds good.
MidiMini, MacBeth M5, Synthesizers.com 44 space, MV-8000, VP-9000, RE-201. Arp Solina, Rhodes Chroma Polaris, Prophet 600, ARP 2600, Prophet 5.

Paradox

Post by Paradox » Thu Dec 27, 2007 2:25 pm

GeneralBigbag wrote:"The Sherman is a brutal sound mangler"
Sorry but i dont get that one :?

I own a FB2 and would agree with the above statment.

It mangles sound and it is rather brutal, of course it can be subtle too if used correctly.

Or is that what you meant? that some people dont think it can be tamed?

anyway here are mine

"Hardware samplers are useless now soft samplers are around"

"More features = better sounding synth" than one with less features but stronger oscillators and filter) :roll:

"marketing bullshit buzzwords like warm :twisted: "

"people who say they make beats"
what about the rest of the track??
do you not bother with anything else?
Maybe i should start making basses and we can get together! :lol: :roll:

ADVENTURE101

Post by ADVENTURE101 » Thu Dec 27, 2007 3:10 pm

"All circuit-benders are nerds with too much time on their hands"
Dang I hate it when people say that.
Gear: Korg MicroKORG

salwa

Post by salwa » Thu Dec 27, 2007 3:47 pm

Fascinating thread... Looks like we are one of the less understanded communities... But that is, of course, truth :D
Casio CZ-1, Elektronika EM-25, Yamaha TX81Z, Roland JV-2080, Novation KS-rack, Korg Poly 800, Casio SK-1, Casio SK-8, Vermona E-piano, Akai S2000, Roland SP 404, Roland TR 505, Yamaha MR 10, Yamaha RX 5 and more
https://www.facebook.com/DOMmusicpl

factual35
Gear: Korg EA-1,Korg ES-1, Korg Monotron, Alesis Micron, DSI Evolver Desktop
Band: Mike Rochip

Post by factual35 » Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:10 pm

I get the "you make beats" thing too, usually when people see my cheap never used Yamaha DD-9.

But I hate hearing the EA-1 described as a "poor man's 303" The Ea-1 far surpasses the 303 in every way, in my opinion, so I hate this comparision.