yamaha DX7

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:28 pm

Hehe, it really isn't as bad as some think. I prefer programming on the synth instead of DX manager. It's just the way I'm wired. I don't like looking at the computer screen when I'm working with my synths. It distracts me, and I end up playing Solitaire.

Synthaholic
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Motif XS6, TX802, D-550, A6

Post by Synthaholic » Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:32 pm

I tried using a trial version of DX Manager and it worked well for loading/saving dumps but the editor was prone to freezing or crashing. Anyone successfully using the DX Manager editor? Any tips/tricks?
Two VCO: thanks to the push rods, one can choose several forms of waves at the same time!
(from a Babelfish translation of a Jupiter-6 site)

Yamaha: Motif XS6, TX802 Roland: D-550 Alesis: A6 Andromeda

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Post by OriginalJambo » Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:37 pm

Synthaholic wrote:I tried using a trial version of DX Manager and it worked well for loading/saving dumps but the editor was prone to freezing or crashing. Anyone successfully using the DX Manager editor? Any tips/tricks?
DX Manager crashed with me with such regularity that it didn't take me long decide I couldn't be arsed putting up with it...no matter how much easier it may have made programming the DX7.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:39 pm

Yeah same for me, it's very unstable. So I only use it to try out new soundbanks usually.

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Jupiter-6, Juno-60, Polysix, Emulator II, DX7, QX1, Arp Odyssey MKII, ESQ-1, Miami, M1r, Live 9, iMac MC309XX/A

Post by Alex E » Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:14 pm

OriginalJambo wrote:
Synthaholic wrote:I tried using a trial version of DX Manager and it worked well for loading/saving dumps but the editor was prone to freezing or crashing. Anyone successfully using the DX Manager editor? Any tips/tricks?
DX Manager crashed with me with such regularity that it didn't take me long decide I couldn't be arsed putting up with it...no matter how much easier it may have made programming the DX7.
It crashed sometimes, but was generally stable for me.
soundcloud.com/vectron

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Post by OriginalJambo » Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:20 pm

Funnily enough today I figured out that by using cross mod and hard sync at the same time you can get a good approximation of a crude DX7 sound.

Synthazaiser
Gear: B3, CP-30, DX7, Casiotone MT-210, Axxe 1, EPS-1, Promars, MC-202, TR-606

Post by Synthazaiser » Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:26 pm

Speaking of DX7, does anyone know how I would go about backing up the original patches before I change them? Any help would be very much appriciated.
Currently have: Baby Grand Piano, B3, CP-30, DX7, Casiotone MT-210, Axxe 1, EPS-1, Promars, MC-202, TR-606
Used to have: POLY-800, TR-505, Techstar TS-306, DX7, ESI-32, Juno-106, DX27, Synthcart, JX-3P, ESQ-M, Mono/Poly, MS2000BR, VX90

xpander
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: UltraProteus, Xpander, 200e, Minimoogs, Radias, Prophet VS, PolyEvolver, Arp 2600

Post by xpander » Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:05 am

Synthazaiser wrote:Speaking of DX7, does anyone know how I would go about backing up the original patches before I change them? Any help would be very much appriciated.
there is a whole world of software known as editor/librarians, they are for this.

Martin P268
No Longer Registered

Post by Martin P268 » Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:35 am

Or get the RAM cartridge, but this is a rather hardcore solution ;-)

Dividedbyzero

Post by Dividedbyzero » Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:14 pm

I used DX Manager as a librarian for a while too, but binned it as it just crashed out on me all the time.

I tried programming with it once and decided using the synth was much easier.

Martin P268
No Longer Registered

Post by Martin P268 » Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:01 pm

Try Midilib librarian for Windows. (Scroll down a bit to find it)
http://www.stcroixstudios.com/wilder/mu ... urces.html

It's already configured for the DX7, just select this synth when launching the app. I can't imagine an easier programme to exchange MIDI sysex files with the DX7. It's also rock solid, at least on my computer.

wilsontherocker

Post by wilsontherocker » Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:28 pm

I just started reading This Is Your Brain on Music by Daniel Levitin, and it's turning out to a real good read so far. The author was apparently a student of John Chowning. With that in mind, here's a somewhat amusing quote from the first chapter:
This Is Your Brain on Music wrote:FM synthesis democratized music synthesis. Before FM, synthesizers were expensive, clunky, and hard to control. Creating new sounds took a great deal of time, experimentation, and know-how. But with FM, any musician could obtain a convincing instrumental sound at the touch of a button. Songwriters and composers who could not afford to hire a horn section or an orchestra could now play around with these textures and sounds. Composers and orchestrators could test out arrangements before taking the time of an entire orchestra to see what worked and what didn't. [...] A lot of what we think of as "the eighties sound" in popular music owes its distinctiveness to the particular sound of FM synthesis.
I guess that's one way of looking at it. :wink: Anyhow, I'd definitely recommend the book. So far, it's got a lot more to do with synthesis and electronic music than I expected it to.

Martin P268
No Longer Registered

Post by Martin P268 » Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:00 pm

But with FM, any musician could obtain a convincing instrumental sound at the touch of a button.
The touch of a button - the divide of two worlds - programming and performance. Everything that you do before assigning the result to a button means nothing until it sees the other side of the FM universe - the other side of the button :book: . Only by pressing the preset button you can reveal and give meaning to the data that you have painstakingly dialled in to the synthesizer :pottytrain5:

gcoudert
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Roland Fantom X7 with Ultimate Keys expansion, Yamaha TX802, Roland JP-8080, Tascam DP-24SD.

Post by gcoudert » Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:31 pm

I used to use DXHeaven running on my Win98SE PC under Steem (atari Emulator). Worked fine every time. DXHeaven can be downloaded from the Dave Benson pages and Steem can be found in various places online. DXHeaven is now in the public domain and Steem is freeware.

Gilles
GC

Martin P268
No Longer Registered

Post by Martin P268 » Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:38 pm

Personally, I've grown very fond of the synth's front panel interface, but from all available software to program the DX7, I would definitely choose DXHeaven. I like its "vintage" look. I think, unlike modern software, this one would go very well with such vintage synthesizer as the DX7.

The importance of the look of an application might be arguable, but I think, it is very important particularly in music production environment.