Sound of Prophet5 rev2

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Paolo Di Nicolantonio

Post by Paolo Di Nicolantonio » Mon Dec 31, 2007 3:34 am

Very good job, Clusterchord :thumbup:

One of the true classic synths... any Rev... I would gladly take any version, even a 3.. even though your Rev 2 sounds really nice.
Visit my synthesizer/music website
www.synthmania.com

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Post by shaft9000 » Mon Dec 31, 2007 6:14 pm

thanks for the demo, cluster

i can see why ppl say the p5 was a bit like having 5 Minimoogs...the SSM filter doing fm in particular sounds close to the Moog sound, but more chirpy and sharp in the high freqs.
spacy!
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Mon Dec 31, 2007 6:18 pm

You realise that most of his sounds were made using polymod, that is audio rate modification to filter or oscillators..that is the reason why they are very sharp and almost metallic in nature.

You wouldn't get that kind of warping, sharp sound with just a plain 2VCO analog I think.

sensorium

Post by sensorium » Mon Dec 31, 2007 7:34 pm

Paolo Di Nicolantonio wrote:Very good job, Clusterchord :thumbup:

One of the true classic synths... any Rev... I would gladly take any version, even a 3.. even though your Rev 2 sounds really nice.

The whole "which rev. sounds better" argument it totally unfounded IMO. I have a fairly lengthy conversation with one of the guys at Wine Country about this, and he said they did A, B, C comparisons with several Prophet ehthusiasts, and there were no clear preferences.

devious

Post by devious » Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:06 pm

sensorium wrote:
Paolo Di Nicolantonio wrote:Very good job, Clusterchord :thumbup:

The whole "which rev. sounds better" argument it totally unfounded IMO. I have a fairly lengthy conversation with one of the guys at Wine Country about this, and he said they did A, B, C comparisons with several Prophet ehthusiasts, and there were no clear preferences.
Perhaps, but for most, i don't think it matters as long as they have A Prophet! :) Truth is, those who have both revision 2 and 3s clearly prefer the 2 over the 3. Either that, or their ears are accepting the misplaced placebo effect of "2 sounds better" on the Internet...heehee! :)

I am just happy I have one [or the other] in general! Was trying to sell it recently on here, but .... there just wasn't any real interest which might have been a good thing ha ha.

Aaron
prophet 5 3.3:minimoog d:sk50d:ax80:2x sh101:MOCHIKA:ms2000:cz101:tr909:stage echo

Jazzpunk

Post by Jazzpunk » Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:49 pm

devious wrote:Perhaps, but for most, i don't think it matters as long as they have A Prophet! :) Truth is, those who have both revision 2 and 3s clearly prefer the 2 over the 3. Either that, or their ears are accepting the misplaced placebo effect of "2 sounds better" on the Internet...heehee! :)
Hey D,
I'd love to hear some clips from your rev 3 for comparision if you have the time. Thanks!

sensorium

Post by sensorium » Mon Dec 31, 2007 10:45 pm

I do not own both a 2 and a 3, but I was in a situation where both were present. I could hear no real difference. But we must also keep in mind the nature of analog circuitry....My rev. 3 may sound better than the one produced right after it. And to someone else, a casio cz-101 sounds better than a Prophet, so what's the point, right? :wink:

baschyn
Gear: EIII, EII, P5 rev2, Prophet VS,VP-330, OB-8, TR808,606, MPC 3000. PolyEvolver.

Post by baschyn » Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:56 am

I have a REV2 as well, kill the effects if you want to give them the real idea.

devious

Post by devious » Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:40 am

Jazzpunk wrote:
devious wrote:Perhaps, but for most, i don't think it matters as long as they have A Prophet! :) Truth is, those who have both revision 2 and 3s clearly prefer the 2 over the 3. Either that, or their ears are accepting the misplaced placebo effect of "2 sounds better" on the Internet...heehee! :)
Hey D,
I'd love to hear some clips from your rev 3 for comparision if you have the time. Thanks!
I'll get to it in about a week. I'll post them to GS for you. :]

-d
prophet 5 3.3:minimoog d:sk50d:ax80:2x sh101:MOCHIKA:ms2000:cz101:tr909:stage echo

Jazzpunk

Post by Jazzpunk » Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:43 am

devious wrote:I'll get to it in about a week. I'll post them to GS for you. :]

-d
Thanks D, that would be awesome. :D

CTB

Post by CTB » Tue Jan 01, 2008 4:29 pm

Cluster, thanks for those great clips. Always nice to add to my library of Rev2 sounds.
CTB

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by shaft9000 » Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:07 pm

Bitexion wrote:You realise that most of his sounds were made using polymod, that is audio rate modification to filter or oscillators..that is the reason why they are very sharp and almost metallic in nature.

You wouldn't get that kind of warping, sharp sound with just a plain 2VCO analog I think.
:roll:
whatever did i do to deserve your condescension? sheesh.
i've already refered to fm in my post, sherlock.

if people would look (and perhaps think) before posting we wouldn't have half the problems around here that we do. this is becoming a real drag instead of the pleasure it should be. in other words, MODERATE YOURSELF for f*cksake.

back On Topic!
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.

Martin P268
No Longer Registered

Post by Martin P268 » Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:00 pm

The two posts were submitted just four minutes apart from each other. I wouldn't think, Bitexion answered particularly to your post or had seen it before posting his own. Am I wrong?

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:24 pm

What crawled up your a*s suddenly, shaft? I wasn't directing it at anyone in particular. The world is already a better place. h**l, it's 2008! :)
No need to get all protective and bitchy just because I gave the same answer as you. Noone is entitled to the one, right answer in threads like these.

And btw, there is no problem with anything, until someone starts bitching about there being a problem all the sudden and the thread goes off-topic.

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by shaft9000 » Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:03 pm

Bitexion wrote:What crawled up your a*s suddenly, shaft? I wasn't directing it at anyone in particular. The world is already a better place. h**l, it's 2008! :)
No need to get all protective and bitchy just because I gave the same answer as you. Noone is entitled to the one, right answer in threads like these.

And btw, there is no problem with anything, until someone starts bitching about there being a problem all the sudden and the thread goes off-topic.
enough already. it's turned into "the passive/aggressive twilight zone" around here.
some simple consideration before posting is all i'm talking about.