Sound of Prophet5 rev2

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
User avatar
Paolo Di Nicolantonio
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2006 2:08 am
Contact:

Post by Paolo Di Nicolantonio » Mon Dec 31, 2007 3:34 am

Very good job, Clusterchord :thumbup:

One of the true classic synths... any Rev... I would gladly take any version, even a 3.. even though your Rev 2 sounds really nice.
Visit my synthesizer/music website
www.synthmania.com

User avatar
shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Posts: 2042
Joined: Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:13 am
Real name: Dave
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney
Location: VanNuys, CA USA
Contact:

Post by shaft9000 » Mon Dec 31, 2007 6:14 pm

thanks for the demo, cluster

i can see why ppl say the p5 was a bit like having 5 Minimoogs...the SSM filter doing fm in particular sounds close to the Moog sound, but more chirpy and sharp in the high freqs.
spacy!
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

User avatar
Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 4230
Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2005 7:43 pm
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld
Location: Drammen, Norway

Post by Bitexion » Mon Dec 31, 2007 6:18 pm

You realise that most of his sounds were made using polymod, that is audio rate modification to filter or oscillators..that is the reason why they are very sharp and almost metallic in nature.

You wouldn't get that kind of warping, sharp sound with just a plain 2VCO analog I think.

User avatar
sensorium
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 233
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2004 2:17 pm
Location: Columbus, Ohio

Post by sensorium » Mon Dec 31, 2007 7:34 pm

Paolo Di Nicolantonio wrote:Very good job, Clusterchord :thumbup:

One of the true classic synths... any Rev... I would gladly take any version, even a 3.. even though your Rev 2 sounds really nice.

The whole "which rev. sounds better" argument it totally unfounded IMO. I have a fairly lengthy conversation with one of the guys at Wine Country about this, and he said they did A, B, C comparisons with several Prophet ehthusiasts, and there were no clear preferences.

devious
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 105
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:15 pm
Location: Winona, MN USA

Post by devious » Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:06 pm

sensorium wrote:
Paolo Di Nicolantonio wrote:Very good job, Clusterchord :thumbup:

One of the true classic synths... any Rev... I would gladly take any version, even a 3.. even though your Rev 2 sounds really nice.

The whole "which rev. sounds better" argument it totally unfounded IMO. I have a fairly lengthy conversation with one of the guys at Wine Country about this, and he said they did A, B, C comparisons with several Prophet ehthusiasts, and there were no clear preferences.
Perhaps, but for most, i don't think it matters as long as they have A Prophet! :) Truth is, those who have both revision 2 and 3s clearly prefer the 2 over the 3. Either that, or their ears are accepting the misplaced placebo effect of "2 sounds better" on the Internet...heehee! :)

I am just happy I have one [or the other] in general! Was trying to sell it recently on here, but .... there just wasn't any real interest which might have been a good thing ha ha.

Aaron
prophet 5 3.3:minimoog d:sk50d:ax80:2x sh101:MOCHIKA:ms2000:cz101:tr909:stage echo

Jazzpunk
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 193
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:48 pm

Post by Jazzpunk » Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:49 pm

devious wrote:Perhaps, but for most, i don't think it matters as long as they have A Prophet! :) Truth is, those who have both revision 2 and 3s clearly prefer the 2 over the 3. Either that, or their ears are accepting the misplaced placebo effect of "2 sounds better" on the Internet...heehee! :)
Hey D,
I'd love to hear some clips from your rev 3 for comparision if you have the time. Thanks!

User avatar
sensorium
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 233
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2004 2:17 pm
Location: Columbus, Ohio

Post by sensorium » Mon Dec 31, 2007 10:45 pm

I do not own both a 2 and a 3, but I was in a situation where both were present. I could hear no real difference. But we must also keep in mind the nature of analog circuitry....My rev. 3 may sound better than the one produced right after it. And to someone else, a casio cz-101 sounds better than a Prophet, so what's the point, right? :wink:

User avatar
baschyn
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 54
Joined: Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:55 am
Gear: EIII, EII, P5 rev2, Prophet VS,VP-330, OB-8, TR808,606, MPC 3000. PolyEvolver.
Location: Minneapolis
Contact:

Post by baschyn » Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:56 am

I have a REV2 as well, kill the effects if you want to give them the real idea.

devious
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 105
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:15 pm
Location: Winona, MN USA

Post by devious » Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:40 am

Jazzpunk wrote:
devious wrote:Perhaps, but for most, i don't think it matters as long as they have A Prophet! :) Truth is, those who have both revision 2 and 3s clearly prefer the 2 over the 3. Either that, or their ears are accepting the misplaced placebo effect of "2 sounds better" on the Internet...heehee! :)
Hey D,
I'd love to hear some clips from your rev 3 for comparision if you have the time. Thanks!
I'll get to it in about a week. I'll post them to GS for you. :]

-d
prophet 5 3.3:minimoog d:sk50d:ax80:2x sh101:MOCHIKA:ms2000:cz101:tr909:stage echo

Jazzpunk
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 193
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:48 pm

Post by Jazzpunk » Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:43 am

devious wrote:I'll get to it in about a week. I'll post them to GS for you. :]

-d
Thanks D, that would be awesome. :D

CTB
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 168
Joined: Sat Sep 18, 2004 1:52 pm
Location: Michigan, USA
Contact:

Post by CTB » Tue Jan 01, 2008 4:29 pm

Cluster, thanks for those great clips. Always nice to add to my library of Rev2 sounds.
CTB

User avatar
shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Posts: 2042
Joined: Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:13 am
Real name: Dave
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney
Location: VanNuys, CA USA
Contact:

Post by shaft9000 » Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:07 pm

Bitexion wrote:You realise that most of his sounds were made using polymod, that is audio rate modification to filter or oscillators..that is the reason why they are very sharp and almost metallic in nature.

You wouldn't get that kind of warping, sharp sound with just a plain 2VCO analog I think.
:roll:
whatever did i do to deserve your condescension? sheesh.
i've already refered to fm in my post, sherlock.

if people would look (and perhaps think) before posting we wouldn't have half the problems around here that we do. this is becoming a real drag instead of the pleasure it should be. in other words, MODERATE YOURSELF for f*cksake.


back On Topic!
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

Martin P268
No Longer Registered

Post by Martin P268 » Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:00 pm

The two posts were submitted just four minutes apart from each other. I wouldn't think, Bitexion answered particularly to your post or had seen it before posting his own. Am I wrong?

User avatar
Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 4230
Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2005 7:43 pm
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld
Location: Drammen, Norway

Post by Bitexion » Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:24 pm

What crawled up your a*s suddenly, shaft? I wasn't directing it at anyone in particular. The world is already a better place. h**l, it's 2008! :)
No need to get all protective and bitchy just because I gave the same answer as you. Noone is entitled to the one, right answer in threads like these.

And btw, there is no problem with anything, until someone starts bitching about there being a problem all the sudden and the thread goes off-topic.

User avatar
shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Posts: 2042
Joined: Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:13 am
Real name: Dave
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney
Location: VanNuys, CA USA
Contact:

Post by shaft9000 » Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:03 pm

Bitexion wrote:What crawled up your a*s suddenly, shaft? I wasn't directing it at anyone in particular. The world is already a better place. h**l, it's 2008! :)
No need to get all protective and bitchy just because I gave the same answer as you. Noone is entitled to the one, right answer in threads like these.

And btw, there is no problem with anything, until someone starts bitching about there being a problem all the sudden and the thread goes off-topic.
enough already. it's turned into "the passive/aggressive twilight zone" around here.
some simple consideration before posting is all i'm talking about.
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

Post Reply