So I tried out a TB-303 yesterday

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Syn303
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Quite a bit...
Band: Syn303

Post by Syn303 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:10 am

Dirk wrote:
michael stein wrote: IMO the best use of the TB-303 was by kraftwerk and I never even realized it was one for about 2 years.
I didn't know kraftwerk had ever used a 303, what tunes did they use it on?

Kraftwerk never used a TB-303 in any of their recordings from 82 onwards, and certainly not on Electric Cafe. However they used an 808 and the Linn LM-1 on it.

Kraftwerk did use the Friendchip Mr. Lab unit on their 1981 album Computerworld. As it offered 808 style rhythm programming and also had a TB-303 style miniature keyboard so they could program their sequencer patterns.
| syn303.bandcamp.com | soundcloud.com/syn303 |

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus C, Super Bass Station, M1r, TX81z, S760, Nord Rack 2, Nord Lead 3, JP-8000, JV-2080, SY99, Trinity Plus, EMX1, TB-03. Live 9, iMac MC309XX/A

Post by Alex E » Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:14 am

filtermod wrote:
Yoozer wrote:It also did the bassline in Newcleus - Jam On It which is not like that one sound ;).
really? I had always heard that was a minimoog. regardless, that's one of the coolest tracks of all time!
I think the background sequence is the 303.
soundcloud.com/vectron

killedaway
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Electribes x 6
Revolution
Monomachine MKII
microKORG
CS01
& more!
Band: killedaway/allyourblood

Post by killedaway » Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:20 am

Yoozer wrote:
Syn303 wrote:because they think it just does that one sound.
It also did the bassline in Newcleus - Jam On It which is not like that one sound ;).
woah. that was pretty much my favorite song when i was 8.

Syn303
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Quite a bit...
Band: Syn303

Post by Syn303 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:23 am

Alex E wrote:
filtermod wrote:
Yoozer wrote:It also did the bassline in Newcleus - Jam On It which is not like that one sound ;).
really? I had always heard that was a minimoog. regardless, that's one of the coolest tracks of all time!
I think the background sequence is the 303.
Yep the squiggly sequence is the TB-303 in the background, track appears on the Streetsounds Electro-3 LP. Another track where you can thear the 303 is by Chris 'the glove' Taylor called 'Itchiban Scratch' the bassline is loud and bright. It's on the Streetsounds Electro-7 LP.

Also Heaven-17 used it on LET ME GO!
| syn303.bandcamp.com | soundcloud.com/syn303 |

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:44 am

Syn303 wrote:Also Heaven-17 used it on LET ME GO!
(Slaps head) Aaah, that was the one I was thinking of!

Actually I kind of wish I'd kept the 303, just to sell it now and make a small mint. What I like about the 202 is that it retains something of the sequencer's functioning, including accent and programmable glide, while using the bulk of the 101's synth section. A pretty good combination, I think. And some useful interfacing too.

RE: plugging a DIN Sync cable half-way in - yep, the 303 uses a switched DIN socket, so when the cable is fully seated it swaps the clock from internal source to external. Plugging a cable part-way so as not to engage the switch will make the 303's internal clock supply both the 303 and whatever's plugged into it.

Shleed
Gear: Doepfer A100
MFB Synth II
Waldorf Blofeld
Korg MS20 Mini
Ensoniq EPS-16+
TT303
TX81Z
Band: Shledge

Post by Shleed » Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:32 am

Acid Mitch wrote:What is it with all these people complaining about the price of 303's anyway ?
Are ya'll just jelous because you can't afford one or what ?
I'm far from jealous. ;)

I don't hate the TB-303 (tried one myself, was confusing but I love the sound), I just think anyone who buys one these days for the price they go is out of their minds, because even though they sound nice and all, they are definitely not worth the price. If you bought one (or two) when they were cheap and kept them, then fair enough, hats down to you etc.

If I wanted hardware acid lines, I'd either get a 202, a 303 clone or a FR Mobius for my modular, all more flexible and cheaper options.

wvcttr
Gear: Dem blinkin' lights sure look pur-dee.

Post by wvcttr » Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:31 am

Solderman wrote:I'd love to try sequencing modular gear with it, but what I have done is send it's CV out to a Moogerfooger MF-102 ringmod to modulate its carrier. I've got a recording of it somewhere, and it's just unbelievably wacky.
Cool tip... Thanks... I just picked up a MF-102 in a trade. Can't wait to try this out.

Hey... anyone know where I can pick up cheap 3.5mm to 3.5mm mono cables? I've got too much darn tiny 1/8" ins and outs and the music stores around me suck. Anywhere in North America would be cool... Canada better.

I can't soder to save my life... so... making my own is out of the equation.

thank you... Happy New Year, BTW.
+-wvCttr]

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:55 am

The elusive ringmodded 303 recording: http://rogerroger.panicnow.net/music/dl/ringmod303.mp3

Pretty basic, just the 303's CV out modulating the MF102's carrier, which is modulating the 303 audio output signal. Very wacky.
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

ygg

Re: So I tried out a TB-303 yesterday

Post by ygg » Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:29 am

johans121 wrote:
But for what it's worth, nothing does 303 better than a 303 :!:

There is something that does it better.

The Devilfish!
Everything the TB should have been.
To describe it with the fantastic modders own words:

Dark, destructive, delicate, languid, undulating, exquisitely detailed, throbbing, luscious and lurid..

Oh man, can't wait to get home from work :D

Edit: missed I have a devil buddy here, pelican... cheers mate!
Acid Generators: Mg-1, Tb-Devilfish, Fizmo, Minimoog, JP6europa, JP4 I/O, S-100m, Maplin 5600s, Prophet 5, NordWave, Concorde 502, Tr-77, Tr-808midi, Machinedrum, Vermona drmmk2, Re-201, Vt-1, Fireworx, Scrotum, other FX , pedals and hardware.

Dirk

Re: So I tried out a TB-303 yesterday

Post by Dirk » Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:42 pm

ygg wrote:
johans121 wrote:
But for what it's worth, nothing does 303 better than a 303 :!:

There is something that does it better.

The Devilfish!
Everything the TB should have been.
To describe it with the fantastic modders own words:

Dark, destructive, delicate, languid, undulating, exquisitely detailed, throbbing, luscious and lurid..

Oh man, can't wait to get home from work :D

Edit: missed I have a devil buddy here, pelican... cheers mate!
I have tried all the mods on the x0xboxwiki and I think most of them are not an upgrade. I now only have accent out, vco out, vcf in and vcf cutoff so I can integrate the 303 in my modulair system.
All Animals Are Created Equal But Some Are More Equal Than Others.

Soundwave

Post by Soundwave » Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:01 pm

Alex E wrote:
Is there really a big difference if you use a very good clone (say, a FR Revolution) and a real 303? Are subtle differences really that important though? And what musical needs absolutely must have the real thing?
The Revolution falls short with that 303 growl which you get at full resonance, accent and no envelope.
Its the VCA slightly overdriving the mixer section on a 303 that gives it that dirty punchy subtle clipped sound at high accent levels which both the x0xb0x and Revolution don't really compensate for in their design hence they sound a little polite in this area however like I said before shoving it thu a bass limiter pedal at the right settings seems to do the trick enough well enough to convince my 303 owning mate.

Sure there are many ways of getting a 303 sound from emulators or other synths but it's getting the way the 303's sound warps when twisting the knobs in all areas thats still tricky to archive. The magic of the 303's sound isn't in a static tone like most people (i.e those who aren't really into 303 music) don't get, its the way the sound reacts to those six knobs that has captured a vibe thats still as popular as ever.

PitchBender
Gear: 4 electribes and a case of beer.
Band: Pigslice

Post by PitchBender » Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:17 pm

Shleed wrote: I don't hate the TB-303 (tried one myself, was confusing but I love the sound), I just think anyone who buys one these days for the price they go is out of their minds, because even though they sound nice and all, they are definitely not worth the price.
Obviously, they are worth the price or the market for them would drive the price down. The 303 is not just about functionality. Just like any other "classic" item. The fact that it can still serve a purpose is almost like an added bonus.

Acid Mitch

Post by Acid Mitch » Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:32 pm

Alex E wrote: Is there really a big difference if you use a very good clone (say, a FR Revolution) and a real 303?
In some respects the difference between 303's and Revolutions are not subtle.
Alex E wrote: Are subtle differences really that important though?
Yes, in my opinion.
Alex E wrote: And what musical needs absolutely must have the real thing?
The 303 does a few things the Revolution can not do and the Revolution does a lot the 303 can't.If you start of writing a pattern on one machine you may not get it sounding the same if you switch to the other.
This also effects collaborations where people have equipment that is supposed to sound the same but is a bit different.
.Sometimes these differences are not at all subtle.
Alex E wrote:
If you're going for authenticity, that's another matter though.
Why?
Shouldn't something sold as being a "clone" be able to sound authentic ?

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:49 pm

Acid Mitch wrote:Shouldn't something sold as being a "clone" be able to sound authentic ?
I'd think it would have to at least give you a similar sound, never mind the approach to composing it. Still, it's more logical to think each will have its own unique character. Whether you like it or not is the question.

I'd agree that the extremes of the 303 is where it's hard to duplicate, but if tweaking it is your thang, it won't be left in any extreme setting long.
I'd go with Acid Mitch and say the relative quirkiness and impracticality of the 303's sequencer for making lots of "happy accidents" is one reason you'd want the original, but again I don't see this justifying the going prices. I know Audiorealism and Rebirth can replicate this quirkiness, maybe more precise in timing, although I always thought Rebirth sounded a bit more sterile when dry and less dynamic without the PCF. Audiorealism to me has its own character and is great sounding but different than my 303.

Unless you just absolutely want to recreate Phuture or early Hardfloor tracks to a fine point, there's lots and lots of synths that will give you acid, and much simpler ones to use to give you punchy,gliding single-oscillator bass.
That said, a Devilfish mod looks like it would be alot of fun. :)
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

Dirk

Post by Dirk » Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:33 pm

Soundwave wrote:
Alex E wrote:
Is there really a big difference if you use a very good clone (say, a FR Revolution) and a real 303? Are subtle differences really that important though? And what musical needs absolutely must have the real thing?
The Revolution falls short with that 303 growl which you get at full resonance, accent and no envelope.
Its the VCA slightly overdriving the mixer section on a 303 that gives it that dirty punchy subtle clipped sound at high accent levels which both the x0xb0x and Revolution don't really compensate for in their design hence they sound a little polite in this area however like I said before shoving it thu a bass limiter pedal at the right settings seems to do the trick enough well enough to convince my 303 owning mate.
The x0xb0x has the same layout and can have the same components, hence it will sound exactly like the real thing. So only if the components are different the x0xb0x will sound different.
All Animals Are Created Equal But Some Are More Equal Than Others.