So I tried out a TB-303 yesterday

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:48 pm

By that logic, you would need the same NEC microcontroller with the same burned in program, the same diode matched(and unmatched) pairs of the same generation, and the same BA662 VCA IC's, which haven't been made by rohm for over 20 years. No they are not the same component by component.
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

elmacaco

Post by elmacaco » Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:13 pm

the x0xb0x and 303 don't sound the same. Very close, but in the stereo eamples on the ladyada site and the forums there were several people who could flawlessly tell the difference. Some couldn't, but it was undeniable that there was a difference.

I might compare mine with a friend's 303 sometime soon.

Good enough for rock and roll in most cases. I think most people given the option would still want the original 303 if proce was no factor, I'd still want a x0xb0x for it's programing and sound, but that silver box is the magic, and the rest are approximations. it's like redoing a tune you accidentally lost, you can get it close, but part of the spark is missing.

JUGEL
No Longer Registered

Post by JUGEL » Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:17 pm

2 of my friends made the XOX box. 1 sounded very very close to a 303.. the other sounding EXACTLY like a 303. go figure.

Me .. I prefer the MC-202 in every way. Sound, interface, workflow,.. looks, feel.. etc..

wvcttr
Gear: Dem blinkin' lights sure look pur-dee.

Re: So I tried out a TB-303 yesterday

Post by wvcttr » Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:49 am

ygg wrote: Edit: missed I have a devil buddy here, pelican... cheers mate!
Hey ygg, you have two devil buddies here.

Anyone else own a Devil Fish ?
+-wvCttr]

Dirk

Post by Dirk » Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:56 am

Solderman wrote:By that logic, you would need the same NEC microcontroller with the same burned in program, the same diode matched(and unmatched) pairs of the same generation, and the same BA662 VCA IC's, which haven't been made by rohm for over 20 years. No they are not the same component by component.
You can still get the BA662, not eazy but they can be purchased.
Info here:http://www.huskyintl.com/partlist/part_ ... /BA662.htm
And more info here: http://www.1sourcecomponents.com/partinfo/ba662.htm

But I don't get it why you should get the microcontroler or the diodes. Its the DA converter that converts the digital info into CV/gate signals and the clock of that converter is the DINsync VCO (from the 303 itself or from an other device). The microcontroler or diodes can therefore be replaced by other things without any change in sound.
elmacaco wrote:the x0xb0x and 303 don't sound the same. Very close, but in the stereo eamples on the ladyada site and the forums there were several people who could flawlessly tell the difference. Some couldn't, but it was undeniable that there was a difference.
Did the x0xb0x have the BA662?
All Animals Are Created Equal But Some Are More Equal Than Others.

ygg

Re: So I tried out a TB-303 yesterday

Post by ygg » Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:43 pm

wvcttr wrote:
Hey ygg, you have two devil buddies here.

Anyone else own a Devil Fish ?
:twisted: Hail!
Acid Generators: Mg-1, Tb-Devilfish, Fizmo, Minimoog, JP6europa, JP4 I/O, S-100m, Maplin 5600s, Prophet 5, NordWave, Concorde 502, Tr-77, Tr-808midi, Machinedrum, Vermona drmmk2, Re-201, Vt-1, Fireworx, Scrotum, other FX , pedals and hardware.

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:31 pm

Dirk, I was referring to the way the CPU lags/jitters to give it little quirks in timing and the diodes I meant to reference as the filter construction. Interesting about the rohm chips. Good news if any early 80's Rolands need replacements, although I hear they're pretty resilient.
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

Amos

Post by Amos » Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:32 am

Dirk wrote:Did the x0xb0x have the BA662?
the x0x has two sets of pads on the mainboard depending on whether you want to use a BA6110 or source your own BA662. The x0x I am building now will use a BA662, so I'll be able to do a side by side comparison to my own which uses the BA6110.
"The tb-303 sounds like poo and I think I could sell it for way more if I need some gas money, but no other poo sounds as pooey as it, plus it has a sequencer..." - Zamise

Dirk

Post by Dirk » Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:20 am

Solderman wrote:Dirk, I was referring to the way the CPU lags/jitters to give it little quirks in timing and the diodes I meant to reference as the filter construction.
The jitter of a DA converter is only dependant on the clock that feeds the DA converter. In the case of a 303 that will be the DIN sync signal. And it will be +-1msec, just as good as the most rock solid drummers out there, or just as good as midi. So feeding an x0xb0x with midi should give the same timing quirkyness as an original 303.

The diodes in the filter are actualy transistors that act as diodes, and it should not be a problem to get them the same as an original 303.

P.S. The next synth I'll buy will be an original 303. 2 303's is sooo boring. :D
All Animals Are Created Equal But Some Are More Equal Than Others.