Just found an Oberheim Two Voice in an antique shop

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Josh @ Resonance

Just found an Oberheim Two Voice in an antique shop

Post by Josh @ Resonance » Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:01 am

So yeah, if anyone wants to spend $1k on a dusty sequencer-less Two Voice, there's one in the basement of one of the antique shops down in Astoria, OR (River Rama on 9th). I have no idea if it works or not, but the knobs felt nice, and there didn't appear to be anything wrong with it cosmetically. They've even got the original manual, which looks like it was hand-typed.

Sorry if this reads like a For Sale ad. I was just amped about finding a rare gem amongst the junk. Not sure it's worth $1k tho.

MicroFi

Post by MicroFi » Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:27 am

This is a very nice find indeed, and worth atleast double the price you've seen it for.
Go buy it as fast as you can, before anyone else does!

wiss
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: .com, mpc, and a studio full of behringer clones.

Post by wiss » Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:28 am

i worked weekends at antique shop mall in LA for 2 years...over 200 boths...only twice did any music instruments come in. Some wierd pump organ and a broken reel to reel. The pump organ was civil war era and just too fragile to play...it was wierd becuase it was so small, smell enough to carry around...tiny keys too..I guess it was to play for funerals on sight at battle grounds or something.
"All we used was the explosion and the orchestra hit. The Fairlight was a $100,000 waste of space."

caligari

Post by caligari » Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:37 am

Yes that is a good price - a single sem module will often go for a grand or so.

And even without the sequencer these are still pretty cool, basically two free voices that you can combine with most any other cv synth for thick sounds.

Or resell here or on eBay and double your money.
Current Rig : Mac G5, MOTU 828 mkII, Moog Minimoog, Arp Axxe, Korg Poly 61m, Korg Poly-800, Korg Microkorg, Ensoniq ESQ 1, SQ-80, EPS sampler, DX-27, DX-7, Rx-5 drum machine, Alesis HR-16, Boss Dr-55, Synare, PAIA 9700 system, Roland MKS-100,

Jexus

Post by Jexus » Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:37 am

No, no.
I suggest you go there, and offer the seller 500$ and hear what he has to say.

clueless

Post by clueless » Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:25 pm

Jexus wrote:No, no.
I suggest you go there, and offer the seller 500$ and hear what he has to say.
Thats a good idea. Pays not to sound too keen. But whatever you do.... buy the bloody thing dude! You will easily make money on it. I'd say not far off 2 grand.

scntfc

Post by scntfc » Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:02 pm

if the original poster doesn't go for this, i've got a friend in astoria who could check it out for me. i couldn't find a listing on the net for the store though...

scntfc

Post by scntfc » Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:10 pm

double post.

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Post by Z » Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:26 am

Well you can say I'm the luck bastard to buy the synth. It arrived today and I took a bunch of photos before powering it up. Here's the main shot:

I plugged it in, and powered it on. The light on the power switch lit up, but the LEDs on the SEMs did not light. I raised the filter cut offs and sustains and then the LEDs lit up, but still no sound. I bent over to check the cable plugged into the amp and then I smelled something. I stood up and saw smoke coming from under the tuning/portamento control section. I immediately switched the unit off. Here's one more synth I've got to take to the tech. I think there's almost as many keyboards at my tech as there are in my studio!

Z
youtube.com/zibbybone facebook.com/ZsFlippinGear

clueless

Post by clueless » Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:52 pm

That is so unlucky dude.... I feel for you. Bought many a piece and took many a chance. Been heartbroken a few times. The worst was a defective CS30 (still have it) and 3 MS20's that went silent on me. Luckily the Korgs have been an easy fix.
Good luck fixing it. I hope it don't cost too much!

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Post by OriginalJambo » Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:40 pm

clueless wrote:Been heartbroken a few times.
Aye, but I'll bet you've had your fair share of moments when the risk is totally worth it and boy does that feel good.

As for the OP, that sucks man - but at least it's with someone who'll hopefully have it restored to its former glory eventually. Best o' luck.
Last edited by OriginalJambo on Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

xpander
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: UltraProteus, Xpander, 200e, Minimoogs, Radias, Prophet VS, PolyEvolver, Arp 2600

Post by xpander » Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:26 pm

i'm glad somebody else bought that... i've been meaning to call that Rio Rama place, but i've been too busy dealing with a problematic OB-Mx that i owned for a couple days before returning. a shame, the OB-Mx sounds amazing!! hopefully i can find a good one before turning to an Omega 8.

oh well, if you can get the 2-voice serviced locally, you will still probably save some money in the long-run. maybe i should make you an offer...

minime123
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by minime123 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:42 pm

i had a feeling there was something wrong with it.

xpander
what was wrong w the obmx?
VINTAGE SYNTH DEALER
- We Buy Sell Trade Repair Vintage Synths
- We Buy Broken Gear & Parts Too...
- Huge Selection, Dependable Service
- https://tonetweakers.com

xpander
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: UltraProteus, Xpander, 200e, Minimoogs, Radias, Prophet VS, PolyEvolver, Arp 2600

Post by xpander » Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:17 pm

minime123 wrote:xpander
what was wrong w the obmx?
voices were all over the place, either didn't match one another or didn't even sound in SINGLE mode, with all globals normal'd. i would have worked on it but since it arrived with a dead internal battery, it gave me a bad case of lemon alert so i sent it back. i'm still looking for a good 6+ voice OBMx, when i roped it in it sounded fantastic; i should've known trent reznor would be right.

minime123
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by minime123 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:58 am

the 2 i played briefly seemed to have tuning problems as well....
VINTAGE SYNTH DEALER
- We Buy Sell Trade Repair Vintage Synths
- We Buy Broken Gear & Parts Too...
- Huge Selection, Dependable Service
- https://tonetweakers.com