Wiimote controlling your gear.

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
haricots
Gear: 5U modular, Tetra MAPS, MD UW, XS, 777, Pro One, JX-3P, Wavestation, Pulse+, Drumstation, S-760

Wiimote controlling your gear.

Post by haricots » Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:55 am

If any of you own a Wii you should seriously try this out ...

I've been meaning to try this out for sometime so today I went out and bought a USB Bluetooth adapter for my PC and much to my surprise it actually discovered my Wiimote (for those who don't know this is the bluetooth game controller for the Nintendo Wii). I installed GlovePIE and downloaded a ready made script to convert Wiimote data to MIDI. Using MidiYoke in Cubase SX3 I was able to send CC's and note data using the Nintendo controller. So far I've found that all the controller buttons can be assigned MIDI notes and the x/y/z axis movements can be assigned to whatever CC you like. So for example, moving the controller up an down could control volume, rotating either left or right can control the filter, etc. Applying vertical or horizontal g force is also a method of control!

Anyway, it's lots of fun. I haven't delved that deep into the scripting but it really looks promising.

So for any interested, first figure out if your bluetooth stack will communicate properly with the Wiimote, download GlovePIE and Midiyoke and play away. This is PC only obviously but I'm sure there's Linux and Mac setups as well. Everything can be found here > http://crustea.vjfrance.com/article-130714.html
Last edited by haricots on Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:03 am

I did a bit of stuff at work using Wiimotes to control stuff in Max/MSP, I even cut one down in the hope that we could make the board smaller to fit in even smaller things but had not success, the board is multi-layered with traces going everywhere.

caligari

Post by caligari » Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:18 am

I have not tried this but I know people have set them up for use as a sort of super-theremin similar to what you have described.

I wonder if it would be viable as a real-time performance controller for stage use?

I know nothing about the range of the wii motes and if they are susceptible to interference from other blue tooth devices near them. That would suck if you were using them and some phone in the audience started modulating your filters an lfos!!!!

There are videos on youtube of people using these as theremin controllers also.

Sounds cool. I always love an excuse to play with my technology, sounds bad, rather than multi-tracking a new song.
Current Rig : Mac G5, MOTU 828 mkII, Moog Minimoog, Arp Axxe, Korg Poly 61m, Korg Poly-800, Korg Microkorg, Ensoniq ESQ 1, SQ-80, EPS sampler, DX-27, DX-7, Rx-5 drum machine, Alesis HR-16, Boss Dr-55, Synare, PAIA 9700 system, Roland MKS-100,

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:44 am

caligari wrote:I wonder if it would be viable as a real-time performance controller for stage use?
A guy I know has played live with a laptop running Max/MSP, a Microwave II and two Wiimotes, so yes it is viable.
I know nothing about the range of the wii motes and if they are susceptible to interference from other blue tooth devices near them. That would suck if you were using them and some phone in the audience started modulating your filters an lfos!!!
The bluetooth device needs to be paired to your computer and set up to control whatever it is you're using, so no, this wouldn't be a problem.

haricots
Gear: 5U modular, Tetra MAPS, MD UW, XS, 777, Pro One, JX-3P, Wavestation, Pulse+, Drumstation, S-760

Post by haricots » Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:49 am

If anyone has any GlovePIE scripts (Wiimote to MIDI related of course), post them here. I've been watching a few Youtube vids and some of the programming involved is really cool.

killedaway
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Electribes x 6
Revolution
Monomachine MKII
microKORG
CS01
& more!
Band: killedaway/allyourblood

Post by killedaway » Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:11 am

i ought to check this stuff out considering i'm not getting any use out of our Wii remotes. SMG's the only game i've played in the last year.