Gear regret?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
BlackGnosis
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: See signature image.
Band: Eridani V

Gear regret?

Post by BlackGnosis » Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:04 am

after finally getting my MC-808 I figured I'd be all over the thing. for the first few days I was, learning its workings and getting it to do things I wanted it to do... but every time I spend some time on it I keep remember all the fuss and problems I went through getting it and it ultimately winds up on my rack on touched while everything else gets use..

Should I take it back and put my money into something else [like a virus B off ebay]? or should I wait out my frustrations? I got a week left to decide based on guitar centers 30 day satisfaction guarantee thingy. =/
Ashe37 wrote:I find it funny that you're a guitar pedal snob and yet don't own a single analog synth.

caligari

Post by caligari » Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:13 am

Thats a tough call. Does it do what you need it to do or is it not what you thought it was going to be?

It is new gear so you can take it back and always buy on again later on if you decide you need it.

I don't ever see these units as becoming rare and hard to find, so maybe the money would be better spent somewhere else.

But you do have a week left so dig in and see if you can find a use for it before you decide.
Current Rig : Mac G5, MOTU 828 mkII, Moog Minimoog, Arp Axxe, Korg Poly 61m, Korg Poly-800, Korg Microkorg, Ensoniq ESQ 1, SQ-80, EPS sampler, DX-27, DX-7, Rx-5 drum machine, Alesis HR-16, Boss Dr-55, Synare, PAIA 9700 system, Roland MKS-100,

BlackGnosis
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by BlackGnosis » Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:27 am

caligari wrote:Thats a tough call. Does it do what you need it to do or is it not what you thought it was going to be?

It is new gear so you can take it back and always buy on again later on if you decide you need it.

I don't ever see these units as becoming rare and hard to find, so maybe the money would be better spent somewhere else.

But you do have a week left so dig in and see if you can find a use for it before you decide.
Well I kinda did a pro an con deal with it, and nothing outweighs it, its a nice box, responsive, hasn't crashe don me no matter what I've put it through [which moves it way up compared to the 909] Originally I bought it to be a FL stuios replacement, I like having hardware to play with, but forsome reason its a royal pain to program and run it for me.

I love its sounds, especially all the drum kits!. But I really dont see much of a use for it in my studio, which has gotten me to rethink what I really want to add in my studio cause I have help butn wonder if I want to use things in music making.
Ashe37 wrote:I find it funny that you're a guitar pedal snob and yet don't own a single analog synth.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:48 am

I bought a V-Synth a couple of years ago for a really good deal (65% off retail) and played with it for a bit but didn't like it. I put it back in the box and intended to put it on ebay but never did, eventually I got it back out and played with it a bit more and now I love it.

I think sometimes when you get something new you have unrealistic expectations of what it'll do for you, if you get rid of those expectations and just use it for what it's good at you'll be much happier.

I reckon keep it, learn its strong points and don't expect it to completely replace FL and you'll enjoy it.

GeneralBigbag

Post by GeneralBigbag » Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:58 am

It always amazes me the number of people who sell gear within a week or month of getting it.
virb.com/ookpikk

killedaway
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Electribes x 6
Revolution
Monomachine MKII
microKORG
CS01
& more!
Band: killedaway/allyourblood

Post by killedaway » Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:04 am

GeneralBigbag wrote:It always amazes me the number of people who sell gear within a week or month of getting it.
i go the other way. i get something, spend a month or two learning it, realize it's not working out, spend the next 6 months trying to like it and using it occasionally, decide i was right all along and renew my original complaints, sit on it for another 2 years until it has lost a nice chunk of value, and finally... sell it.

and i never learn.

MissionBrown

Post by MissionBrown » Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:13 am

I regret selling almost every bit of gear I've owned.
Not just that each bit was cool in its own way but the amount of money I've chucked away.

One bit of gear I have an ambivalent relationship with is the Juno 60.
On one hand its great sounding synth and easy to use, on the other hand I find it severely limiting and that grates.

Now if I hadn't sold the Prophet 600 and Also had the Juno 60 I'd be in hogs heaven. But since the P600 went to another country I find myself pining for its dirty dirty sync sound :(

I sold a lot of gear to buy an Andromeda which never showed up.
I regret that action though it did all go onto my creditcard and hence helped me get out of debt.

I used to have a Juno 6 and sold it because I wanted something "better" then found myself missing it quite badly so i got the 60 and even though it sometimes bugs me with its lack of "stuff" I'm not going to get into regret debt by parting with it....

tom Cadillac
Gear: FS1R, EPS, JP8000, Kaos pad, Ineko, SP606, Mopho, MP7 and so on....
Band: Bipolarbass

Post by tom Cadillac » Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:03 am

I think one of the benefits from making music is to come to terms with the way my mind backtracks and regrets. Second guesses the life that I'v already lived. like music is very much a momentary thing, particularly in the making. Quick intuitive decisions.

I play a lot of improvized music and this is a good learning for just doing and accepting the consequences. Though I did once drop a totally inappropiate steel drum sample into the middle of two vocalists doing a thing. A happy accident? Or another random disaster? its all in the state of mind I guess.
Last edited by tom Cadillac on Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
"On the following day , the sorcery undespairingly continued: I changed my series, chose other sequences, cut other lengths, spliced different progressions, and hoped afresh for a miracle in sound." (Stockhausen)

tom Cadillac

Sorry - too much coffee, slow computer and quick finger!
Last edited by tom Cadillac on Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
"On the following day , the sorcery undespairingly continued: I changed my series, chose other sequences, cut other lengths, spliced different progressions, and hoped afresh for a miracle in sound." (Stockhausen)

tom Cadillac

I recently passed on a sp808 - at a very good price. I think I found its advertized wonders off putting. I don't trust Roland corp either. Their gear looks so beautiful, what with the flashy lights and all. not sure this is an aid to making worthwhile music though.

Though I did recently buy an ef303 - because I needed what it had - as a midi controller and i wanted to try its vocal effects.

Anyway I think you kind of know quite quickly with gear if you're going to bond with it or not. I regret the time i'v put into trying to make stuff come alive for me.

But having regrets is just one of the dumb things our overcomplicated minds do. Regrets are useless. Unless you are learning from your mistakes.

I find it best to be philosphical and understand that the synths etc I need come to me easily. Like my beloved Ensoniq EPS. A brilliant deal with a sweet buy now and from a really nice guy just a kilometer away.
And really its a lot more sensible for me to use this primitive but brilliantly designed instrument to its full extent - like more sampling of percussion sounds, which it seems to warp delightfully. Rather than hanker after the bright lights that Roland corp dangles in my face.
Best to keep it simple.

And really regrets are just a state of mind. Only sound is real.

BlackGnosis
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by BlackGnosis » Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:15 pm

A part of me doesn't want to let it go, I went through so much to get i t an its got great sounds in it!, however, I don't like its filters and its on board sample memory has a tendency not to save anything I load on it, and oddly enough it wont work with just USB, I've got to MIDI in and out with USB to do anything on it, this is a tad annoying but I guess Roland wanted redundancy in this. I'm very reliant on FL, but I've more or less made a bit of an effort to go to hardware, at least the 808 has some value to it and has a lot of features worth hanging on to [in my opinion] should I not take it back...

On the other hand I am going for more gear I can run/integrate with FL studios [virus TI an d the SH-201 for example] and later run using the Roland as a control center which was another big reason I wanted the MC-808..

All in all I think I'll keep it and upgrade it. and if things dont work out I'll trade it for something on C.L.

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:31 pm

Well, I see you have the EMX-1 as well... I'd say you should at least keep one of the two. Why don't you like the EMX-1? What is it that ultimately makes you not use the MC-808? what other hardware are you thinkinf about? Perhaps you should buy more software... something like Reaktor or Reason...

I buy and sell constantly...but I also have a core set-up that I always create music on. The danger comes when you are always buying and selling so much that you don't make music. It doesn't sound like you are there. That's good. The good thing about the MC-808 and the EMX-1 is they are readily available...so you can always buy them again. If you buy and sell used...you don't have to lose money at all...just time...that is something most people forget.

Myself, I only regret a few sales... the Elektron Sidstation, Roland MC-202, and that's about it...
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

BlackGnosis
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by BlackGnosis » Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:35 pm

JSRockit wrote:Well, I see you have the EMX-1 as well... I'd say you should at least keep one of the two. Why don't you like the EMX-1?
Honestly I adore teh EMX, but the only three things I nuse out of it normally as the Formant, the Wave shaper and the monophonic osc's for that badass 303 emulation, otherwise its dust on my 3 tier, hence why its for sale. I'm currently holding it to trade some one I know for a korg X-50, something I've wanted for a while.
JSRockit wrote:What is it that ultimately makes you not use the MC-808?
I think its just the memory of how much stress I went through to get it, that and I am almost 100% reliant on my E-mu X-board to control it.
JSRockit wrote: what other hardware are you thinkinf about? Perhaps you should buy more software... something like Reaktor or Reason...
To be honest I bought a legit license to FL Studio after I got my 808, its kinda fun running both the 808 and fl studio together. A lot of hardware I am looking to get is hybrid software/hardware so I can use it on my computer and in my studio, which Is why I mentioned the SH-201 and the AV:TI previously.
JSRockit wrote:I buy and sell constantly...but I also have a core set-up that I always create music on. The danger comes when you are always buying and selling so much that you don't make music. It doesn't sound like you are there. That's good. The good thing about the MC-808 and the EMX-1 is they are readily available...so you can always buy them again. If you buy and sell used...you don't have to lose money at all...just time...that is something most people forget.

Myself, I only regret a few sales... the Elektron Sidstation, Roland MC-202, and that's about it...
JSRockit wrote:
Wow, I wouldn't be able to part with a MC-202. that things too awesome!

The only around my studio that I want to sell without regret is my TR-707, I never use it and so far people only come by to see the relic and not buy it, its annoying but I think its about time to Ebay it, I've already sampled it a bunch an d I like using 808 and 909 sounds more then the 707, Maybe I should toss it on ebay.

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:47 pm

I'd stear clear of the SH-201 unless you've tried it first... alot of people who buy that blind don't like it...

EMX-1 for an X-50? Are you sure? Are you more of a player than a sequence user?

So, you're not using the EMX-1 as a groovebox... yeah, neither did I when I had it...I only liked the regular waveforms on that box... and loved the sequencer and arp...but ultimately...I just couldn't get what I wanted from it. Hated the drums. I tend to like my drums unaffected...and on the EMX, you have to effect them to make them sound usable IMHO. The Ti is very nice...one of the synths I'd love to have but won't spend for. However, it is very complicated...try it before you buy it if you can. The only groove style boxes I've been able to just keep and use are the Elektrons. They just work right and offer seemingly infinite possibilities.

The MC-202 is a pain in the a*s to use compared to other more modern gear... but it is cool. Small, battery powered, and raw. I miss that. I'm eventually going to get another one.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

teknosmoker

Post by teknosmoker » Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:08 pm

I had the same experience when I bought the Virus upon its initial release. I'd read glowing magazine reviews (having any faith in them was my first major ignorant mistake) and special-ordered one from my local music store, as they were not stocked by any retailers in my area (and therefore I could not demo one).

After learning the Virus inside-out and spending a year with it, I found it to be very dull and thin to me.

P.S. - I haven't heard a new piece of Roland gear that sounds decent since the JD-800/990. While at a Roland training seminar at their headquarters in LA, I was able to purchase the newly released XV-5080 for $800. I kept it for a a month, hated the thin, brittle sound of its converters, and sold it for a few hundred more than I paid for it.

-T
TR-909, SH-101, Jupiter-6, Juno 106, ATC-Xi, Microwave 1, FS1R, TX81Z, Odyssey, K2000, Wavestation A/D, E6400 Ultra, MPC 2000XL, Mutator, MF-101, MF-103, Frostwave Resonator, DSP7000, PCM-91, Fireworx, D-Two, DP/4+, MacPro Quad, Logic Pro.