Front 242 synths?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
calyx93
Gear: PPG Wave 2.2, μWave (x2), Roland JP6+V-Synth+S-220, SCI P5+600, Ensoniq SQ-80, Kawai K-3+K-3m, ARP Odyssey+Omni2, Emulator II+HD, Ensoniq Mirage.

Post by calyx93 » Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:18 pm

There was a really good gearlist and interview with Patrick Codenys about the making of Geography in an old Future Music. I'll see if I can dig up the scans - they were posted on another synth webpage years ago. It was a great article since the he reminisced about the recording track by track and stated which synths were used on which - mentioning those synths Micke listed above, plus the use of a PPG Wave 2.2. It certainly can be heard (the bells) on 'Kampfbereit.'

You can also hear its use on the singles 'Sample D.' and 'Controversy Between' - lots of classic envelope and LFO wavetable sweeping atmospheres, especially on the former.
“I have stretched ropes from steeple to steeple; garlands from window to window; golden chains from star to star, and I dance.” - Rimbaud

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:25 pm

I'd love to have a copy (scan) of that article, calyx93 :)
"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979

calyx93
Gear: PPG Wave 2.2, μWave (x2), Roland JP6+V-Synth+S-220, SCI P5+600, Ensoniq SQ-80, Kawai K-3+K-3m, ARP Odyssey+Omni2, Emulator II+HD, Ensoniq Mirage.

Post by calyx93 » Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:55 pm

I'm searching... get back to you when I find it.
“I have stretched ropes from steeple to steeple; garlands from window to window; golden chains from star to star, and I dance.” - Rimbaud

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:38 pm

Thanks man!
"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979

lovedroid
Gear: MEK, LP, uQ, P6, BS, SQ80, UF8, WS, Omen6, Sonar
Band: New Modern Angels

Post by lovedroid » Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:47 pm

calyx93 wrote:I'm searching... get back to you when I find it.
Post it here then, I'd also like to see that! :)

I'm also a rather huge fan of 242, ever since I first discovered them in the early 90's. I can't choose a favourite album, they're all great in there own way.

gfriden

Post by gfriden » Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:02 pm

For me, Politics of Pressure was their defining moment. I think that's the single most influencial Front 242 record.
Art is not a copy of the real world. One of the damn things is enough.

killedaway
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Electribes x 6
Revolution
Monomachine MKII
microKORG
CS01
& more!
Band: killedaway/allyourblood

Post by killedaway » Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:56 pm

factual35 wrote:...but I still think Tyranny is one of the best industrial/ebm albums of all time.
agreed. it's an amazing album with some really unique stuff going on.

i know for sure they were sponsored by Roland, sometime in the mid-nineties. i have an article lying around somewhere in which they discuss the convenience in having Roland ship them new gear when they need it.

Pinky Marvin

Post by Pinky Marvin » Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:26 pm

Does anyone have any idea which instrument provides the 'airy' melody from the start in Quite Unusual ? That sound used to shivers down my s(p)ine at the time and although it doesn't have quite the same effect today, it still sounds fantastic :)

Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Hugo76 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:28 pm

According to the Access website, Front 242 are also Virus users.
http://www.access-music.de/community/hall_of_fame.php4
Regarding their music, I'm a huge fan, but from 1993 onwards. I think their '93 albums are killer, especially Evil Off. Also, their album Pulse is top notch. Tracks like "Together" and "One (With the Fire)" are mindblowing :D

Blue Monster 65
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Blue Monster 65 » Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:46 am

I saw the live back in '88 or so and they were using an Emulator III for playback, along with a set of Simmons pads on a rack. The coolest part of the show, though, was the fact that all three of them wore helmets with spotlights on them! It was loads of fun.

Woof! - Scott
Muhahahahahahahahaha!

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:27 pm

Ooh look! Another lost soul who likes the post-93 Front242 more than the old stuff, just like me! According to the others, there must be something wrong with us, I think :P
We should like them more in the olden days because they used more cool and classic synths back then, you see. Instead of these fancy new digital things. So we're wrong.

But live is another thing. I bought a fairly new 242 DVD, and it's kind of sad. There's two middle-aged guys in glittering blue "trance gear" trying to look 20 years younger, and the vocalist is bouncing about as if he had the duracell bunny up his buttcrack, with bleached spiky hair, doing his very own spastic trance-dance thing ALL THE TIME. And the keyboardist has 1 or 2 boards, the rest is sequenced or taped. Even the 303 sound in Welcome to Paradise. I think his main board is a Korg M1, but he doesn't seem to play it that often. I saw through it once, been sitting in the shelf ever since.

I much prefer Re:boot live or the studio albums. Re:boot because it has some very different versions of the studio songs, particularly that insane TB303 running through many tracks. No matter if it's "only" Rebirth 1.0, it still sounds bloody cool. Plus some totally crushing bassline sounds.

Welcome to Paradise is my fave track from Reboot.
Soul Manager also sounds bloody good in that era.

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:43 pm

Your posts make me want to check out the stuff after "Tyranny", as I've never heard any of it. Mostly I listen to the Geography album for the dirty synth sounds and Official Version. The latter I like alot because it was their first in-depth use of samplers, and with their previous use of tape, it was an interesting crossover, to me. Sure they were trying to make more approachable material, and it's not really their matured sound, but something about the transitory nature of it I like.
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

metrosonus

Post by metrosonus » Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:47 pm

But live is another thing. I bought a fairly new 242 DVD, and it's kind of sad. There's two middle-aged guys in glittering blue "trance gear" trying to look 20 years younger, and the vocalist is bouncing about as if he had the duracell bunny up his buttcrack, with bleached spiky hair, doing his very own spastic trance-dance thing ALL THE TIME. And the keyboardist has 1 or 2 boards, the rest is sequenced or taped. Even the 303 sound in Welcome to Paradise. I think his main board is a Korg M1, but he doesn't seem to play it that often. I saw through it once, been sitting in the shelf ever since.

I much prefer Re:boot live or the studio albums. Re:boot because it has some very different versions of the studio songs, particularly that insane TB303 running through many tracks. No matter if it's "only" Rebirth 1.0, it still sounds bloody cool. Plus some totally crushing bassline sounds.
That sounds like you were watching the re:boot tour. While it was great to see them live for my fourth time, I think the show was quite weak. It was just like you were describing ... except the only lyrics were chanting the name of the song and ha ha ho ho ha ha ha over and over :( I wasn't really too impressed, but alblum wise I like it alot.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:56 pm

No, it is Catch The Men that was released in 2005. It's a show from 2004.
If it was anything like Reboot the album, I'd be perfectly happy since I like most of that (except for the second vocalist just yelling HAHAHAHAHAHA most of the time). The sounds are good, lots of distorted fat basslines.

This is even newer and the songs have been revamped yet again.
And they still look too old to be dressed in skinny trance clothes with spikey bleached hair. The only cool thing is the huge cross made up of lights that lights up in Welcome to Paradise.

So I guess their actual performance hasn't changed much the last 10 years then.

gfriden

Post by gfriden » Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:58 pm

Bitexion wrote:Ooh look! Another lost soul who likes the post-93 Front242 more than the old stuff, just like me! According to the others, there must be something wrong with us, I think :P
We should like them more in the olden days because they used more cool and classic synths back then, you see. Instead of these fancy new digital things. So we're wrong.
Well, this is a Front 242 gear tread, not a 'which period in their history do you like best thread'. Not strange then, given that a majority of us here appear to be Front sentimentalists, if their old equipment is mentioned more often than their more recent gear. I don't think its implied that you are wrong about prefering their later stuff just because they don't use all this vintage stuff any longer... (You're wrong about it for purely aesthetic reasons :wink: )
Art is not a copy of the real world. One of the damn things is enough.