*NEW* Access Virus Ti Snow

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
felis

Post by felis » Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:48 pm

philbar wrote:... if its 16 part multitimbral then great....

4 part multitimbral according to the spec page.
They also say that dsp intensive patches can get you down to 10 voices from the 'up to 50 voices'.
Last edited by felis on Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

SWAN

Post by SWAN » Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:54 pm

Well I reckon it will still prob be almost double the price of the Blofeld-I cant see them selling it for less that £5-600...

Blofeld interface looks better to me on first glance....

I had a Virus TI for a while. It is an amazing synth-the plugin integration was pretty awesome IMO. However the sound is altogether too clinical, dark and aggressive for my liking...Never the less Access still build great instruments abounding with quality-if you like their sound. And Ive not played a softie yet which has outclassed a Virus...

Personally-Im routing for the Blofeld and Waldorf. I always go for the underdog ;)

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:58 am

I've heard anything from $1000 to $1600 on this around the web. Is it really in that range?
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

synapsecollapse
Gear: MS20 Mini, Eurorack stuffs, Elektron Machinedrum, Venom, iPad mini, DX7

Post by synapsecollapse » Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:21 am

JSRockit wrote:I've heard anything from $1000 to $1600 on this around the web. Is it really in that range?
it sounds high to me, considering the current desktop sells for 1799. even the cost for the smaller interface (if this is a full blown ti in a smaller box) should lead to a considerably lower price. im thinking 1k max, but i am sure we will hear soon.

btw i have never known an anwser to this: does the "softsynth" features of the TI allow for software editing of the synth? if this comes with an editor then the thing could be 10 menus deep and it wouldn't matter if you were in front of your compy.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:29 am

JSRockit wrote:I've heard anything from $1000 to $1600 on this around the web. Is it really in that range?
It's supposed to be the cheapest Virus ever, so it's gotta be cheaper than the rack was.

Stab Frenzy

Post by Stab Frenzy » Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:38 am

synapsecollapse wrote:(if this is a full blown ti in a smaller box)
Nope, it's only 1 DSP whereas the full has two, hence the lower timbrality and polyphony.
synapsecollapse wrote:btw i have never known an anwser to this: does the "softsynth" features of the TI allow for software editing of the synth? if this comes with an editor then the thing could be 10 menus deep and it wouldn't matter if you were in front of your compy.
Yes.

synapsecollapse
Gear: MS20 Mini, Eurorack stuffs, Elektron Machinedrum, Venom, iPad mini, DX7

Post by synapsecollapse » Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:43 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:
Nope, it's only 1 DSP whereas the full has two, hence the lower timbrality and polyphony.
synapsecollapse wrote:btw i have never known an anwser to this: does the "softsynth" features of the TI allow for software editing of the synth? if this comes with an editor then the thing could be 10 menus deep and it wouldn't matter if you were in front of your compy.
Yes.
the IF was a "worst case scenario" in terms of cost, but i didn't know about the dsp copunt. was that on the flash ad?

and thanks stabbers.

this looks more exciting than the blofield to me. maybe just because of the grainular synthesis and a different wavetable engine. im not sure that this will take away from waldorf's biz, as i still want a stromberg when they come out.

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:12 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:
It's supposed to be the cheapest Virus ever, so it's gotta be cheaper than the rack was.
I guess you can't complain if it rolls out under $800 list.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

Stab Frenzy

Post by Stab Frenzy » Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:27 am

synapsecollapse wrote:
Stab Frenzy wrote:
Yes.
the IF was a "worst case scenario" in terms of cost, but i didn't know about the dsp copunt. was that on the flash ad?

and thanks stabbers.

this looks more exciting than the blofield to me. maybe just because of the grainular synthesis and a different wavetable engine. im not sure that this will take away from waldorf's biz, as i still want a stromberg when they come out.
I don't remember where the 1 DSP thing came from, it's early in the morning and I need another coffee. Makes sense though.

After thinking about this I think at the moment the Blofeld looks like a better buy for me. I'm after something to use live with my MEK so I don't have to take the V-Synth with me for polyphony, and the Blofeld's tweakability and interface might just push it over the line. Also depends on how much cheaper it is.

I would like to have the Virus sound too, but if the Snow is around US$1000 I'd probably be willing to pony up the extra little bit for a desktop Ti. Not that the extra polyphony or multitimbrality matter much to me, but the interface is quite nice.

actuel

Post by actuel » Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:54 am

ya know, i think folks who have had both waldorf's and virus can attest that they sound WAAAAYYYYY different. i loved my Ti polar but the OSC are dark and you can muddy up a mix crazy quick. now before the Access parade stampedes me, i'm aware of how EQ'ing can really help...just sayin' & obviously just my experience. nonetheless, if you dig that sound the Ti is a powerful beast. the wavetables implementation since 2.0 is stunning...dark still, but stunning.

i'm relatively new to the waldorf synths, the blofeld will be my second but it's sonic character is far more unique and befitting to my needs. it's sound is very distinct, sits well in (my) mixes, and can go from traditional to weird very quick. which is a good thing imo.

sound differences aside, they both bring many attributes to the table. (pun intended). i just wanted to remind folks that will you may be to stare at spec sheets and price, these little white dudes sonically sound way different. imo > now shoot me :wink:
Last edited by actuel on Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: 18u Eurorack, Octatrack, Pro2
Band: BLUSH_RESPONSE

Post by Joey » Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:18 am

actuel wrote:ya know, i think folks who have had both waldorf's and virus can attest that they sound WAAAAYYYYY different. i loved my Ti polar but the OSC are dark and you can muddy up a mix crazy quick. now before the Access parade stampedes me, i'm aware of how EQ'ing can really help...just sayin' & obviously just my experience. nonetheless, if you dig that sound the Ti is a powerful beast. the wavetables implementation since 2.0 is stunning...dark still, but stunning.

i'm relatively new to the waldorf synths, the blofeld will be my second but it's sonic character is far more unique and befitting to my needs. it's sound is very distinct, sits well in (my) mixes, and can go from traditional to weird very quick. which is a good thing imo.

sound aside differences aside, they both bring many attributes to the table. (pun intended). i just wanted to remind folks that will you may be to stare at spec sheets and price, these little white dudes sonically sound way different. imo > now shoot me :wink:
I guess I'm the only one who really really likes the fact that the Virus sounds so dark, that was one of my main reasons for buying it.

With that said though, the blofeld is something I could see myself picking up in the future.
No one cares, no one sympathizes,
so you just stay home and play synthesizers.

http://wearereplicants.com

Andy_X69
Gear: Alesis A6 Andromeda, Access Virus TI, Arturia Minibrute, DSI Mono Evolver Keyboard, Waldorf Micro-Q, Waldorf Pulse 2

Post by Andy_X69 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:04 am

Joey wrote: I guess I'm the only one who really really likes the fact that the Virus sounds so dark, that was one of my main reasons for buying it.
No, you aren't alone. Lots of people love the Virus's dark, evil sonic character. I certainly adore it.

Although, to the person that stated they dislike the Virus for the same reason, I can totally understand why. The Virus sound is not for everyone or everything. Personally I love it, but I agree that too much Virus can make something sound too muddy (although the TI is less muddy than the Virus C and earlier... I think the internal mixer doesn't clip as easily now). I like to use a mix of synths, I would counter the Virus's dark VA and Wavetables with a shreddingly distorted sync-FM-mixed lead synth from the Nord 3 (or a Q or Blofeld!).
http://www.myspace.com/studiodekadent, Cubase 4/TC Powercore X8/MOTU PCIe424 with 24io/MOTU MIDI Express 128

actuel

Post by actuel » Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:14 am

i should add. i like the Ti's sound...a lot, but definitely in moderation. i was just trying to address the inescapable blofeld vs. ti snow spec breakdown, and refocus on sonic differences. both engines sound great...just different

Andy_X69
Gear: Alesis A6 Andromeda, Access Virus TI, Arturia Minibrute, DSI Mono Evolver Keyboard, Waldorf Micro-Q, Waldorf Pulse 2

Post by Andy_X69 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:21 am

actuel wrote:i should add. i like the Ti's sound...a lot, but definitely in moderation. i was just trying to address the inescapable blofeld vs. ti snow spec breakdown, and refocus on sonic differences. both engines sound great...just different
Completely understand. I think that the TI Snow and Blofeld are more or less sonic opposites... one dark and growly, the other metallic and cutting. The Blofeld would do FM/Sync better though, I find that the Virus aliases too much with FM/Sync sounds. The TI has more synthesis modes however... more diversity with wavetable/wave PW and granular, etc.

Overall I think they would compliment eachother perfectly.
http://www.myspace.com/studiodekadent, Cubase 4/TC Powercore X8/MOTU PCIe424 with 24io/MOTU MIDI Express 128

GeneralBigbag

Post by GeneralBigbag » Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:58 am

Does anyone have any good demos of the graintable and formant oscillators? I'm very curious and there seems to be a lack of information online.
virb.com/ookpikk