Alesis nanobass?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

Alesis nanobass?

Postby fuckrapsputin » Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:14 am

I'm currently looking for a new little synth for basslines, I'm mainly lookiong for something that can do deep and warm basslines along the lines of dub, hip hop and jazz (something capable of really deep subby bass as well as kinda smooth light bass.) I'm not that interested in analogue for this as I currently has an mc202 which can do really nice analogue bass and a x0xb0x on the way, I'm basically wanting something to do a wide variety of my bass needs.

I'd run this through my mooger low pass so it can sound digital and I can warm it up, that's cool.

Originally I was looking at picking up a cheap microkorg so do some all round bass and other stuff, but on ebay at the moment is a nanobass $250 no bids...

Anyone out there used this and can fill me in? I've read the sound on sound review and some sonic state reviews which both said it is awesome, except editing the sounds is a b***h -- this isn't such a hassle for me because if the presets are good i don't really mind using it mostly for its preset sounds (as long as they are varied and there are plenty of good ones.)

So for instrumental hip hop looking for some cheap and easy all round bass will this fit the bill? Or should i go with something like the microkorg (of which i have extensive use of and know plenty about and would be fine for my needs) or other cheapish VA for this allround bass need?

Cheers
gear: Barry Manilow's Greatest Hits
fuckrapsputin

Postby sacredcow » Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:31 am

Please don't buy it. A nanobass is worth around $50 and there's so much else you could buy for that money. Look into a juno or something.
PowerMac G4 dual, DSI MoPho, E-MU XL-7, Korg ES-1mkii, Korg EA-1, Novation Nova, Kawai K4, Casio vz10m, Casio ht700, Yamaha PSS-480

(5 good trader references and counting)
sacredcow

Postby space6oy » Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:32 am

i just bought a nanobass and just ordered a power supply for my peavey spectrum bass, so i'll be able to give you a comparison once those have arrived...and i'll be selling one or the other after that!
space6oy

Gear: vimpat, citalopram & vitamin D.

Postby fuckrapsputin » Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:51 am

sacred cow, thanks for the advice, although I'm not that interested in a juno. I wasn't sure what the general going price was but I'll be sure to look into that if you'd say $50 is a better price.

space6oy if it isn't too much trouble I would be interested in hearing your thoughts.

From the reviews I've read online people seem to like them, but then again you can never tell what kind of musician/producer is posting the reviews on sonicstate anyway, so good to get some thoughts first hand.

Cheers guys, I'll have a think about it.
fuckrapsputin

Postby hageir » Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:54 am

here's one for $120:
http://charlotte.craigslist.org/msg/533878561.html

it's a little too much, a nanocompressor is worth $50
so is the nanobass ;)
Elektron MnM & MD UW, DSI MEK & Prophet REV2 16 Voices baby!, Ensoniq VFX & ESQ-1, SE-1X, Korg MS-20mini, Polysix, SH-101 (red), 707, CR-8000, KPR-77, PO-12, Yamaha C1 Music Computer, Synare PS-1, FX, mixers, some more stuff..
hageir
Expert Member
Expert Member

Gear: http://www.geirhelgi.com/
https://soundcloud.com/geir-helgi
Band: Geir Helgi

Postby Tyler2000 » Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:41 am

sacredcow wrote:Please don't buy it. A nanobass is worth around $50 and there's so much else you could buy for that money. Look into a juno or something.

A Juno is never a bass synth. I got my MG-1 for around $250. It does some great bass. Maybe a sampler would be your bag?
so what do I put down here now?
Tyler2000

Gear: HS-60, MG-1, CS-5, ESQ-1, CZ-101, DR-110, MR-10, MDP-40, EA-1, ER-1, ES-1, Trixer, SDS-9, Califorian 365, toys, guitars, ukes, etc.

Re: Alesis nanobass?

Postby crystalmsc » Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:57 am

f**k wrote:I'm not that interested in analogue for this, I'm basically wanting something to do a wide variety of my bass needs.

I would suggest the Roland M-BD1 over the Nano for this task. Even that can be had for lower than $149. I use the SR-JV80-10 card in my JV1080 and it really rock big time. I like how the fx are being used in there and for $250 I'd definitely go with that combo instead.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums
crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt
Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom
NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080
MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex
Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Postby fuckrapsputin » Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:47 am

thanks for all of the suggestions, I'll figure it out. I was not sure what the going price for a nanobass was but it certainly seems cheaper than $250.

tyler I already have 4 samplers so I'm cool there, I was just interested in the nanobass as... almost a rompler of awesome bass sounds i suppose...

I'll be cool, I'll save my $250 and spend it elsewhere
fuckrapsputin

Postby space6oy » Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:46 pm

chiming in on this again since i finally have both the peavey spectrum bass and the alesis nanobass. they both have their ups and downs. nanobass has more sounds, so i'm letting the spectrum go, but i seriously wish (despite it being awesome that they can cram it into a tiny little box) it was a standard 1u rack size. probably going to buy a faceplate and cut it to force the little guy to be built into my rack.

anyway, they're both cheap ways to get decent bass guitar sounds, very easy to use.
space6oy

Gear: vimpat, citalopram & vitamin D.

Return to General Synthesizers