Namm Questions

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
westforwishing9

Namm Questions

Post by westforwishing9 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:40 am

Well I went today and tried out everything I could get my hands on and talked to a lot of people especially access and waldorf. So if you have any questions you can ask me and i'll try to answer. Pictures soon.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:54 am

Is Bill O'Reilly really a putz?

westforwishing9

Post by westforwishing9 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:58 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:Is Bill O'Reilly really a putz?
one of the biggest.

tyrannosaurus mark

Post by tyrannosaurus mark » Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:51 am

Hey, I'm living all the way over here in new zealand so had no chance of getting along to NAMM :( Did you visit the moog booth? Glance at the new minimoog?

westforwishing9

Post by westforwishing9 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:05 pm

tyrannosaurus mark wrote:Hey, I'm living all the way over here in new zealand so had no chance of getting along to NAMM :( Did you visit the moog booth? Glance at the new minimoog?
most people that live around here don't even get to go. All my friends were jealous because its not a event thats open to the public. Yeah i spent a ton of time at the moog booth. I played with the new one a little. To me it seemed much like a cross between the new voyager and a original minimoog. It still sounded like a new voyager and everything since it has the same engine and stuff in it but without all the digital controls it feels way more natural and trully analog. I've always felt awkard when using a analog synth that has as much digital stuff as the voyager does.

Also they came out with a pedal to control expression. It has 4 cv outs, usb, and midi. seemed very simple design. There wasnt a working demo though so I dont know much of what it can do. Other than it has I think the guy said 4 LFO's that can be synced to the midi. If you want to know about it I can read the brochure I have on it.

They had a pretty cool band called "The volts per octave" playing at one point during the day that I really liked.

tyrannosaurus mark

Post by tyrannosaurus mark » Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:08 pm

Oh really, it's an invite only sort of affair? haha, shows how much I know!

Thanks for that little bit of info, very interesting :)

What were some standout products you came across?

westforwishing9

yeah

Post by westforwishing9 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:16 pm

yeah you either have to be a music dealer, work in music retail. be a vendor, work for a vendor, or beg one of the above people to give you a extra pass. I work for a music retailer.

Umm standout product for sure was the Atomizer for the Access Virus TI. Very cool effect. Umm other than that spectrasonics omnisphere was cool. I played a waldorf blofeld. I met one of the guys from waldorf stefan or something. I don't know if he really spoke english cuz he just stood there while someone else talked to me about the blofeld and than shook my hand as I left.

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:27 pm

how much are the akai and alesis drum machines going to cost?
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:05 pm

tallowwaters wrote:how much are the akai and alesis drum machines going to cost?
I would imagine they are in the low-end, less than $400 range comparible to the Boss stuff...
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

droolmaster0

Post by droolmaster0 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:07 pm

I'm very curious about what Waldorf had to say...about the Stromberg, about shipping on the Q+ Phoenix (i have one on order), pretty much anything.

westforwishing9

Post by westforwishing9 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:00 pm

droolmaster0 wrote:I'm very curious about what Waldorf had to say...about the Stromberg, about shipping on the Q+ Phoenix (i have one on order), pretty much anything.
actually I didn't ask about the stromberg. I should have and I will because the guy gave me his e-mail address. But he said there production is tiny right now and they hope to continuously grow. Right now in the entire North America there is only 12 blofelds he said. He said there was a shipment of about 100 next week and there all spoken for.

About the Akai's im not exactly sure I believe I heard sub-400 also.

aeon

Post by aeon » Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:09 pm

tallowwaters wrote:how much are the akai and alesis drum machines going to cost?
I am glad I am not the only one who took note of that new Akai.

cheers,
Ian

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:00 pm

westforwishing9 wrote:Right now in the entire North America there is only 12 blofelds he said. He said there was a shipment of about 100 next week and there all spoken for.
I heard only 12 made it as well... but I'm def one of the next 100... woohoo!!!
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt,Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom,NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080,MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex,Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Post by crystalmsc » Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:13 pm

what about Clavia? How great is the Nord Wave in real?
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

westforwishing9

hmm

Post by westforwishing9 » Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:45 am

well I went to clavia but people were playing everything. Never found that booth again.