Minimoog Voyager Old School

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
xpander
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: UltraProteus, Xpander, 200e, Minimoogs, Radias, Prophet VS, PolyEvolver, Arp 2600

Minimoog Voyager Old School

Post by xpander » Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:31 pm

i figure someone should create a dedicated thread with the "Voyager Old School" title to discuss all things Voyager OS:
http://www.moogmusic.com/detail.php?mai ... t_id=21108

i just heard about this synth this morning; as a Model D owner, i really like the idea.
Last edited by xpander on Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:58 pm

Getting rid of the zipper noise noticable at high resonance and higher pitches will be nice, but some people are going to miss that touchpad I'm sure. I bet it still sounds too clean and not bassy enough.
Last edited by Solderman on Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

xpander
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: UltraProteus, Xpander, 200e, Minimoogs, Radias, Prophet VS, PolyEvolver, Arp 2600

Post by xpander » Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:06 pm

i'm a huge fan of the WYSIWYG interface of old monophonic analogs, i'm really glad Moog is finally making another synth where you can just look at the panel and know what's going on. i will definitely dump one of my monologs to get a new analog where i don't have to think about j-wires! :D

Dr. Sound

Post by Dr. Sound » Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:56 pm

Solderman wrote: I bet it still sounds too clean and not bassy enough.
Would love to know more about this. Hopefully we will get some samples soon enough.
[ + ]

goldphinga

Post by goldphinga » Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:06 pm

Solderman wrote:Getting rid of the zipper noise noticable at high resonance and higher pitches will be nice, but some people are going to miss that touchpad I'm sure. I bet it still sounds too clean and not bassy enough. That's why I'm selling my RME. Why did they have to make the Voyager's filter constant Q?!?
Not bassy enough? Are you sure your ears are ok? Seriously, the voyager has serious low end power on par with my source which has stupid amounts of low end. And as for too clean well i dont agree with that either, its raw and in your face and if you need more grit just route the right out into the mixer input and drive to taste.
htttp://www.myspace.com/jazzdoctor73
htttp://www.jd73.co.uk

LP/Voyager/Source/Moogerfoogers/NordStage/Logan SM2/Solina/Memorymoogplus/MicroKorg/B3+122RV/ClavD6/Rhodes Suitcase73x2/EmuE4K/YamahaEx5/Dx100

MrFrodo

Post by MrFrodo » Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:15 pm

It would be great if people purchasing this synth can later buy a MIDI converter - with a patch memory programmer inside it, like a Kenton MIDI-to-CV converter married to a Sequential 700 programmer, or something.
The greatest thing we ever have is the will to survive.

Rest in peace, Dr. Robert Moog.

http://www.ericbenjamingordon.com
http://cdbaby.com/cd/ebgordon
http://www.myspace.com/ericbenjamingordon

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:34 pm

MrFrodo wrote:It would be great if people purchasing this synth can later buy a MIDI converter - with a patch memory programmer inside it, like a Kenton MIDI-to-CV converter married to a Sequential 700 programmer, or something.
... or just buy a Voyager in the first place.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:36 pm

What are the changes? I don't know the MK1 well enough to deduce it from the features list. I know the X-Y pad is gone but..what else? And MIDI too. Oh..no patch storage either? It's like they went 30 years back in time on this one.
Last edited by Bitexion on Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:37 pm

goldphinga wrote:Not bassy enough? Are you sure your ears are ok? Seriously, the voyager has serious low end power on par with my source which has stupid amounts of low end. And as for too clean well i dont agree with that either, its raw and in your face and if you need more grit just route the right out into the mixer input and drive to taste.
It is bassy sometimes, but not when I want it to be. I should clarify in that I mean bass with resonance, that classic owwww bass with all the growl underneath.
Now that I've gone back and listened to some candidate patches, the bass is there, but something about the fatness of it prevents it from pegging the meters of the digital interface before it can "sound loud". Without compression and a good console EQ, the bass is lost in low end mud, I'm afraid.
Last edited by Solderman on Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

sequence

Post by sequence » Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:38 pm

Oh joy. Yet another monophonic analog. Wheeeeeee..... :roll: Bit U are right, a huge step backward here. For some reason I feel 30 year younger...

guess my dreams of a carbon fiber and titanium Theramin (or a ribbon controller similar to Kurzie's discontinued Expressionmate) have faded into oblivion
twentyfirst century fizMO man

polardark

Post by polardark » Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:45 pm

So.... is it cheaper? :D

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Post by OriginalJambo » Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:48 pm

nathanscribe wrote:
MrFrodo wrote:It would be great if people purchasing this synth can later buy a MIDI converter - with a patch memory programmer inside it, like a Kenton MIDI-to-CV converter married to a Sequential 700 programmer, or something.
... or just buy a Voyager in the first place.
:lol:

sequence

Post by sequence » Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:13 pm

polardark wrote:So.... is it cheaper? :D
A little, not much. It's on the OP's link.
Last edited by sequence on Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
twentyfirst century fizMO man

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:19 pm

So you see people. No matter what Moog or anyone else does, people are never satisfied. Now they're going back to the old school that everyone keeps bitching about (waaawaawaaaa digital controls waaawaaa), and now everyone bitches about there being too few controls instead, or not sounding enough like a 35 year old synth with ancient electronics components inside.

GeneralBigbag

Post by GeneralBigbag » Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:25 pm

Bitexion wrote:So you see people. No matter what Moog or anyone else does, people are never satisfied
They must really love what they're doing to put up with all the s**t the community gives them.
virb.com/ookpikk