Minimoog Voyager Old School

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
mono-poly

Post by mono-poly » Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:14 pm

I would love to see a rackmount edition of this machine.
But full modular with patchpoints.
That should be easy made of this.

The Moog Modular Voyager Very Old School.

:D :D :D

Yoozer
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Yoozer » Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:20 pm

Jack Spider wrote: That said, I like eating the grass on both sides of the fence and always work from the ground up with a 'blank' patch on the LP, to give me my 'fiddling' fix and love the ability to save it to memory. :wink:
One of the issues I've always had with patches was was organizing them - storing them, naming them, recalling them. It's a job I absolutely hate and the reason most of my synths just have the factory patches. Just playing those is a lot of fun already, and when I get lost in tweaking territory, I try to go there again by recreating the patch. When I need something for a track, it gets rendered to audio or stored in some location I'll forget anyway.

I like random patch generators; even if I'm "swimming" there's too big of a chance that you choose certain routes, and these things can solve that. It's too bad a lot of synths don't have 'm on-board, though; especially FM synths can benefit from it.
"Part of an instrument is what it can do, and part of it is what you do to it" - Suzanne Ciani, 197x.

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

SUBMIT DAMMIT!

Post by OriginalJambo » Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:08 pm

Yoozer wrote:They've invented the "MANUAL" button for that ;).
Aye, but how many synths with patch memory actually have a "manual" button? ;)

neandrewthal

Re: SUBMIT DAMMIT!

Post by neandrewthal » Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:10 pm

OriginalJambo wrote:

Every one I've tried. Either that or you just don't touch the preset buttons after you've powered it up.
What happens at fondue stays at fondue!

Jack Spider
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Gear: -
Bit One
Boss DR-220
Boss DR-660
DSI Mono Evolver Keyboard
Korg LP-10
Roland XP-50
Yamaha QX21

Post by Jack Spider » Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:31 pm

OriginalJambo wrote:Aye, but how many synths with patch memory actually have a "manual" button? ;)
The Jupiter 6 has one, which can lead to interesting results.
I didn't get where I am today by posting on internet forums.
http://www.myspace.com/thegreenalsatian
http://www.soundclick.com/greenalsatian

Hokusai
Gear: Radias, Fusion, Micron

Post by Hokusai » Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:36 pm

Will the Old School survive a EMP blast, since it doesn't have any digital components?

:P

Johnny Lenin
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: JX8P | AX60 | Little Phatty Stage II | DW8000 | Vox Jag | Fantom X6 | Juno-G | P-Bass | AS-120 | Double Jet

Post by Johnny Lenin » Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:42 pm

Hokusai wrote:Will the Old School survive a EMP blast, since it doesn't have any digital components?
EMP will kill analog too. We'll all be playing pianos after the BIG ONE.

Synthaholic
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Motif XS6, TX802, D-550, A6

Post by Synthaholic » Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:23 pm

mis psiquicios y yo wrote:I'm getting a little hot right now, thinking: should i sell my Odyssey Mk III and get (with extra money) a nice brand new VOS? the only thing i think i'll miss is the S & H. When i take the decision i'll let you know
The VOS has S&H too. ;)

As for synths with "manual" buttons, the Juno-60 and 106 have them, as well as the Korg Polysix. I believe the Jupiter-8 does too.
Two VCO: thanks to the push rods, one can choose several forms of waves at the same time!
(from a Babelfish translation of a Jupiter-6 site)

Yamaha: Motif XS6, TX802 Roland: D-550 Alesis: A6 Andromeda

Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: 18u Eurorack, Octatrack, Pro2
Band: BLUSH_RESPONSE

Post by Joey » Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:28 pm

Jack Spider wrote:
OriginalJambo wrote:Aye, but how many synths with patch memory actually have a "manual" button? ;)
The Jupiter 6 has one, which can lead to interesting results.
also, the nord lead series, the juno 106 (possibly the 60), the voyager
No one cares, no one sympathizes,
so you just stay home and play synthesizers.

http://wearereplicants.com

hfinn
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: http://soundcloud.com/heath-finnie

Post by hfinn » Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:57 pm

OriginalJambo wrote:
Ob-X, OB-Xa, OB-8, Prophet-5/10, Jupiter 4, Jupiter 6, Jupiter 8, CS-50/60/80 (called panel) and many more. I believe even the voyager had one...
Last edited by hfinn on Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:02 am

Andromeda has manual button too. Can lead to interesting (scary) sounds when you get the exact current value of 50+ knobs :)

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Post by OriginalJambo » Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:37 am

Wow, had no idea so many had manual buttons. It's not really a touted feature I guess so that's probably why, although it's plenty useful IMO.

Most of the synths I've used with patch memory don't have 'em - in fact the PolySix is the only one I could name without putting some proper thought into it - comes as quite a surprise to me!

Funny thing is PolySix is pretty much a manual synth anyway however - the patch memory is busted.

aXL
Gear: Moog LP Stage II, Ensoniq ESQ-1, Nord Electro 3, Roland JP-8080, Akai SynthStation 49, numerous softies...
Band: Nemesis Kane

Post by aXL » Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:07 pm

Worrell wrote:I think moog should make a 'Little Phatty old school' as an even more affordable moog synth. That or a one-oscillator synth.
I'm all for that. When news first came about the 'Phatty, I was quick to imagine it being the Prodigy to the Minimoog Voyager. An LPOS would definitely become a bass/lead workhorse for this synth player if it became a reality.

Also, a one-osc Moog would be amusing. Wouldn't be too far removed from the Rogue, I'd wager, and definitely a logical move if they want an ultra-basic entry-level mono.

As for the VOS, it could easily be a Second Coming of the Mini, not because of it being a sensational release like the Mini was, but because it is a new Mini. Sure, it's not a piece-by-piece copy, but all the things that made a Minimoog a Minimoog is there, plus a few new things like pressure sensitivity. Don't want to gig your almost 40-year-old Mini? Get a VOS and rock out in real-time.
Sir Nose wrote:It's like sex with or without a condom. You know which choice is gonna feel better, but it's not always a wise choice.
Disciples of the new wave, portaits in the sand...

Dirk

Post by Dirk » Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:35 pm

Johnny Lenin wrote:
Hokusai wrote:Will the Old School survive a EMP blast, since it doesn't have any digital components?
EMP will kill analog too. We'll all be playing pianos after the BIG ONE.
Michael Faraday has come up with a prety simple solution to protect equipment from EMP. Infact all modern military equipment is perfectly safe from EMP.

If the VOS does not have much better soundquality its a useless piece of c**p.
All Animals Are Created Equal But Some Are More Equal Than Others.

steveman

Post by steveman » Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:12 pm

Worrell wrote:I think moog should make a 'Little Phatty old school' as an even more affordable moog synth. That or a one-oscillator synth.
Thing is, would an old school LP be much cheaper? It'd have to have knobs for everything (20 or so, rather than just the 4 or 5 it has now) and switches for mod routings etc.
Digital is cheaper than analogue, so it wouldn't surprise me if it ended up being around the same price.