NAMM Modular and other Cool Stuff Review

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
REwire

NAMM Modular and other Cool Stuff Review

Post by REwire » Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:52 am

I spent most of my NAMM day at the Big City Music and Analogue Haven booth and checked out these things and a few others from around the joint:

Metasonix f**k f**k Amp Head - I jammed through this thing a while and man, it's gritty and over the top. It's pretty unstable and all sorts of sonic artifacts were coming out. It tracks real well to harmonics and string play and could be the grungiest amp aver made. Demo of me on YouTube.

AS RS-140 Distortion - The latest Analogue Systems module is the first distortion I've tried that works on simple analog waveforms. Most analog modular distortions are really wave multipliers and when I try analog distortion pedals on a simple waveform they just turn to square waves and add no harmonics. This one took anything I fed it at Modular line level and distorted nicely. Not over the top metal distortion but a CV input on a distortion is real hard especially feeding it with Pitch Osc FM.

Livewire AFG - new 28hp Oscillator with a ton of outputs and ability to manual or CV control the width of the top and bottom of a waveform. That creates sounds that are so animated you'd think you have a bunch, or so evil, sounds like we're being decimated by aliens. A must have for me.

Rozzbox 5 Voice Polyphonic Synth - This is a bitching tiny module with digital oscs and analog filters that sounds from creamy smooth to outright blisteringly horrid. Either side, I want one like nothing else! Whether there'll be a run in the US, who knows, the Rozzbox Mono has been unavailable here for years.

Doepfer WaveMult2 - a Sawtooth animator with 4 separate controls you need to apply CV to to get the thing working. Cyndustries has a Sawtooth Animator that has built in LFO's to do the fattening but this has control of each band that you can do more with like use envelopes.

Plan-B Wave Splicer - This is a 4Hp module that takes two waveforms in and uses half of one and half the other to make a new waveform. You can set the split point and CV it too. This makes incredibly thick sounds and the more you throw in the nastier, especially FM'ing the CV input. This would be a poor man's saw animator or AFG.

Harvestman Zorlon Cannon, Hertz Donut and Time Safari - the first, rapid fire lo-fi game sounds and gate creater; 2nd - a sharp angular digital oscillator semi styled on the Buchla 261e and 3rd, a loop sampler with Lo-Fi delays.

New Frac Rack Stuff - Suit and Tie Guy's Arp and Mankato Filters. The Arp one called "Post Lawsuit" was a nice somewhat clean filter but the Mankato, with all it's phased outputs sounded the best. It has a unique look too. My only problem with the design is having all those outputs and no common output that can morph between all of them.

Moog Voyager OS - I dunno, maybe Moog wants in on the latest modular and analog craze and thinks that crowd is avoiding and dissing the Voyager for not being analog enough. This still sounds like a Voyager to me and less like a Mini than ever. I could not make a convincing fat mini sounding bass.

Prophet 8 Rack - I'd buy that for a dollar! Now how about a 1U rack version?

Spectrasonics Omnisphere - apparently some kind of World Music morphing sample library.

Roland had nothing of interest but some new Workstation. Phooey!

Didn't see Korg or Yamaha displays but hoped the Tenori-On would be there, Damn, missed it!

Wish Buchla had been there! Saw lots more stuff but nothing to write home about.
Last edited by REwire on Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Buchla, Serge & Eurorack Modular; EML101; Minimoog; Synthacon; MS20; Nord2; NordG1; PolyEvoRack; MKS80; MKS50; TB303; Electribe EMX1; JV1080
http://www.REwireMusic.com

polardark

Re: NAMM Modular and other Cool Stuff Review

Post by polardark » Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:31 am

REwire wrote:Prophet 8 Rack - I'd buy that for a dollar! Now how about a 1U rack version?
LOL

WDW

Post by WDW » Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:49 am

I dig the video, REwire. And thanks for posting your thoughts on the various gear, some of which is out of the mainstream of what the average VSEr talks about.

WD

haricots
Gear: 5U modular, Tetra MAPS, MD UW, XS, 777, Pro One, JX-3P, Wavestation, Pulse+, Drumstation, S-760

Post by haricots » Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:03 am

Did you check out the FR XS?

WDW

Post by WDW » Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:29 am

haricots wrote:Did you check out the FR XS?
Big City Music has multiple YouTube videos of Jered demoing it at NAMM this year.

WD

clusterchord
Band: Nimbus Dei

Post by clusterchord » Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:44 am

Thanks for the info... im really intrigued by Livewire AFG. i think that is surely a first breakthru in a long while, within purely analog modules.

livewire and plan b stuff is forcing me to rethink my choice for frac over a euro standard. since i got only one module in frac so far :cry: its not the end of the world to switch.. and Paul S. still hjasnt released his fantastic moogy vco300 in the frac version which i was waiting for all this time.. im disapointed.

if frac/motm is geared towards traditional moogy sound, eurorack with livewire and plan b sounds like the ticket for ultimate in weird/farout/fx box..

a Question for eurorack users: is anyone besides Doepfer making euroracks nowadays?

ive heard bad things about crosstalk n other issues with doepfer stuff..

are there any demos online for this Rozzbox thingie? a 5voice polyphonic hybrid.. jesus thats awesome !!!.. how come we dont know more about it already ?!?!?

jupiter · oberheim · prophet · sh · moog · andromeda · ppg wave · vs · waldorf · yamaha · eii · casio
rhodes · solina · acetone · eurorack · system100 · förster · lexicon · eventide · space echo · svc350 etc

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt
Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom
NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080
MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex
Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Post by crystalmsc » Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:38 am

I miss Clavia, am eager to listen to more of the Nord Wave story :? so silent there..review please.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

REwire

Post by REwire » Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:08 am

clusterchord wrote:a Question for eurorack users: is anyone besides Doepfer making euroracks nowadays?
Cwejman is making an expensive rack for their stuff but it'll be thin and not able to handle the depth of most other modules. Plan-B is working on a Buchla style boat cabinet but that will be a while. Synthbox makes the Space Case, a clear long two row cabinet. I have mostly Analogue System cabinets for all my modules and it's deeper than Doepfer's and can handle some Frac and MOTM converted modules I have.
are there any demos online for this Rozzbox thingie? a 5voice polyphonic hybrid.. jesus thats awesome !!!.. how come we dont know more about it already ?!?!?
There were demos on the Rozzbox site.. Big Music City made some videos of the Poly being played (by me too) and they be on line soon.
crystalmsc wrote:I miss Clavia, am eager to listen to more of the Nord Wave story :? so silent there..review please.
I went by the Clavia Booth and saw a Wave sitting there with some speakers. I banged on it, made no sound, then thought for a sec about how I didn't like the demos and don't wanna pursue it further and left. For a sampler, gimme some analog filters, Clavia's have gotten too digital sounding. For a Wave synth, gimme a Waldorf.

Oh, the Virus TI's new Atomizer update looked fun. Gotta see if my Korg KP3 or Glitch Plugin can do that. Richard Devine demos it here:
http://www.sonicstate.com/news/shownews.cfm?newsid=5966
Buchla, Serge & Eurorack Modular; EML101; Minimoog; Synthacon; MS20; Nord2; NordG1; PolyEvoRack; MKS80; MKS50; TB303; Electribe EMX1; JV1080

REwire

Post by REwire » Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:45 pm

Update NAMM videos:

The Rozzbox:

Analogue Systems RS-430 Distortion (me playing):

Dr. Sound

Post by Dr. Sound » Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:07 am

The XS is quite the tweak box
[ + ]