Owning two of the same synthesizer - Is it wrong?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Clavier
Gear: A distraction.
Band: Rhode Out West

Post by Clavier » Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:30 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:If you have more than one of the same synth you'll go blind. Check it out, it's in the bible.
That's true. I got two D-50s and am now 'legally blind'. I'd hate to think of what would happen if I got another Micromoog. :shock:
Hammond RT-2, Hammond M3, Hammond L-102, Rhodes mk1 suitcase 88, Sequential Circuits Prophet-5, Yamaha TX-802, Fender Twin Reverb, Leslie 45

Ezzo

Post by Ezzo » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:30 am

Not sure if this is the right forum for this thread, mods?
Octave Cat SRM
Korg Polysix
Boss DR 770
Line 6 POD XT
Tascam DP01

kogmachine
Gear: Probably way too much gear

Post by kogmachine » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:36 am

I have an Ion that I love so much I'm going to buy another AND a Micron. MIDI chain them together to increase the Ion's polyphony to 24 voices and 12 timbres. What's wrong with that? I've been running out of voices often while playing my Ion. Plus I plan to do some DIY mods to one of my Ion's so yeah it's a great board IMO. h**l I didn't come up with the idea on my own, I saw a youtube vid where a guy had an Ion and two Microns... hmmm someone who loves these boards as much as I do.

Now if you were talking about getting a second Open Labs Neko I'd be shaking my head... because they're so expensive... not that it's a bad idea, because it isn't.
Don't be afraid, ever... cause this is just a ride.

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:59 pm

Ezzo wrote:Not sure if this is the right forum for this thread, mods?
this is funny, coming from you.
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

brian.only
Gear: Mono/Poly, Polysix, Crumar Performer, Juno106, Ion, CS01, K Station, DX27,77' Rhodes 88 mk1

Post by brian.only » Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:57 am

I had two Polysix's for a short while and ended up selling the older one to pay for the newer one that I spent alot more on.
I sometimes feel like I should have kept it instead and ate ramen for he rest of the month. It was fun playing two P6's and the OG one had just a slightly different character to it that I miss.
Oh well...
I dont think its a prob @ all, unless you never use it- but even then its good to have a backup given the fickle nature of many analogs and oldies...
sell me your KS5!

clusterchord
Band: Nimbus Dei

Post by clusterchord » Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:14 am

crystalmsc wrote:
clusterchord wrote:i used to have JX-10 and two MKS-70s, as it was big part of my sound in the 90s. hwoever, as i got extra modules, i started using it less. and finally sold first one MKS and than JX, and only kept one module.
actually own the those is like keeping two JX-8P :lol:
well sorta. i had a JX-8P for a short while, and the sound, in its nucleus was the same, however, due to component change form roland goin form 8 to 10.. somthing happens int he amp phase of things so u end up wiht slightly different sounding mahcines. jx8p was noisier, darker and warmer (5534), and mks70/jx are brighter, more focused and cleaner.

esp noticeable with PW and XMOD patches.

jupiter · oberheim · prophet · sh · moog · andromeda · ppg wave · vs · waldorf · yamaha · eii · casio
rhodes · solina · acetone · eurorack · system100 · förster · lexicon · eventide · space echo · svc350 etc