Quick questions about Little Phatty

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Neonlights84
Gear: Moog Minimoog Model D
Behringer DeepMind12
Novation UltraNova
Korg MS20 mini
Korg EMX-1
Band: Winter's Glow

Post by Neonlights84 » Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:21 pm

sequence wrote:Plus LP has something most other Moogs dont, the filter overdrive that's a real ball-knocker :D and if U hook in a MoogerFoog CP251 control processor LP becomes a modular with a distinctive character all its own. ummmm tasty :lol:

Some folks recoil at the price, but check NovaMusik for they have frequent specials on LP. :D
Now that I have the capital to go after a Moog...I can't decide which way to go... I've narrowed it down to the Multimoog, a Source, or an LP

I play in a synth pop band as well as a rock band, so i need something that can cover that range. It doesn't have to have a million bells and whistles, i am just looking for the best sounding Moog among those with a decent amount of tone flexibiltiy. Does anyone have any advice?
Gear: Novation Ultranova, Korg Monotribe, Korg Electribe EMX-1, Electro-Harmonix Memory Boy, Lexicon MX200.

tyrannosaurus mark

Post by tyrannosaurus mark » Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:58 pm

I have both a little phatty and a micromoog, I find the little phatty is extremly flexible and does all the sounds it can do extremly well, but that the micromoog does a smaller number of sounds but those sounds have this cool detunes and sort of 'vibe' that the phatty doesn't have. I use both all the time, but the little phatty is much more useful
Moog LP + Casio SK1 and MT-75 + tube amp = good tone.

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Post by OriginalJambo » Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:01 pm

Neon if you are looking for a Moog that sounds great I'm sure the LP won't disappoint because those are by far its best assets. It's certainly not a ground-breaking synth and isn't really that flexbile...although you would be surprised.

As long as you are expecting all this I don't see how it could possibly fail you.

Neonlights84
Gear: Moog Minimoog Model D
Behringer DeepMind12
Novation UltraNova
Korg MS20 mini
Korg EMX-1
Band: Winter's Glow

Post by Neonlights84 » Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:16 pm

OriginalJambo wrote:Neon if you are looking for a Moog that sounds great I'm sure the LP won't disappoint because those are by far its best assets. It's certainly not a ground-breaking synth and isn't really that flexbile...although you would be surprised.

As long as you are expecting all this I don't see how it could possibly fail you.
Thanks you guys...I'm definately leaning towards the LP.
I know Moogs really arn't that flexible...but I'm looking for sonic quality first.

I've always had a jumble of VA's that can make nearly any sound you can think up...but i unloaded it all, and bought a nice Juno 106 and now I'm looking for that classic analog mono (cough Moog).

What i learned was that VA's can sound really close, but theres something in those analog machines that make them sing to me in ways the VA's cant.
Gear: Novation Ultranova, Korg Monotribe, Korg Electribe EMX-1, Electro-Harmonix Memory Boy, Lexicon MX200.

tyrannosaurus mark

Post by tyrannosaurus mark » Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:42 am

yeah man you've just got to find what sounds you like, I've owned a few different VAs and they have heaps of great sounds in them but I've never found anything that's particually grabbed me

my little phatty has a character that colours all the sounds it produces, I prefer that
Moog LP + Casio SK1 and MT-75 + tube amp = good tone.

sequence

Post by sequence » Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:18 am

tyrannosaurus mark wrote:my little phatty has a character that colours all the sounds it produces, I prefer that
couldnt have said it better myself. :wink:
twentyfirst century fizMO man

amatsov

Post by amatsov » Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:43 pm

it aint the wisest question, but still...
is there a point of buying a LP if I already have minimoog?

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Post by OriginalJambo » Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:38 pm

amatsov wrote:it aint the wisest question, but still...
If you don't need patch memory or MIDI then not really.

sequence

Post by sequence » Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:28 pm

LP might be better for gigging tho, and more stable as far as tuning and atmospherics. Plus Moog does make a flight case for the LP. All I know is that if I had both, the MM would stay home, and the LP would travel and gig. That's just me tho.
twentyfirst century fizMO man

WDW

Post by WDW » Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:04 pm

If you want to discuss whether or not you should buy an LP, please ask that question in the BUYER'S GUIDE. It's not on topic in GENERAL. Thanks.

WD

WDW

Post by WDW » Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:13 pm

Actually, I see that the original poster has changed this to a "what should I buy" thread; thus, off to BUYER'S GUIDE this goes.

In the future, if you are considering buying a synth and asking questions about it for that reason, then please start the thread in BUYER'S GUIDE. Thanks.

WD

Amos

Post by Amos » Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:10 am

meanwhile here are some LP sounds. Main bassline is running through NI Guitar Rig but all other layers are dry. All synths are Little Phatty.

phatty boom bastard
"The tb-303 sounds like poo and I think I could sell it for way more if I need some gas money, but no other poo sounds as pooey as it, plus it has a sequencer..." - Zamise

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Post by shaft9000 » Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:20 am

niiiiiiice!
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

Sorcerio

Post by Sorcerio » Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:26 pm

For those considering getting an LP, I thought I would pass along that Moog is offering a $75 rebate through the end of February.