Second Broken Prophet 08

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Pete

Second Broken Prophet 08

Post by Pete » Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:17 pm

So I just got my replacement Prophet 08 after the one shipped around the holidays was broken. This is broken as well. I has anyone else had this problem?

I am getting sort of pissed. I am starting to think Dave is at fault and they are simply not built well or need better packing. Another broken power supply, more loose or broken off key weights. I guess I have no choice but to send it back again.

mono-poly

Post by mono-poly » Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:38 pm

The False Prophet :D

alan partridge

Post by alan partridge » Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:50 pm

can't say I've heard anything else like that on here mate. sure you're not being had by dodgy cowboy retailer or summat ?

synapsecollapse
Gear: MS20 Mini, Eurorack stuffs, Elektron Machinedrum, Venom, iPad mini, DX7

Post by synapsecollapse » Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:01 pm

who ARE you buying these prophet 08's from?

Yoozer
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Yoozer » Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:21 pm

Demand that they put it in a flightcase.

That, or pick it up yourself.
"Part of an instrument is what it can do, and part of it is what you do to it" - Suzanne Ciani, 197x.

sequence

Post by sequence » Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:10 pm

Again, where did U buy these? :?: :?:

And have U emailed Dave about this problem? He is very good at making sure his customers are happy, and will do everything he can to resolve this problem. Besides, at two broken units, he needs to know about this real soon (this is assuming U didnt get both from DSI directly).

If this was me, i'd give up, esp. NOW knowing that the P08 module will be out real soon.

h**l I went thru 2 Korg Tritons with busted keys before I got a third one that was fine...
twentyfirst century fizMO man

Pete

Post by Pete » Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:52 am

They were from Musicians Friend. They are sending the third Fed Ex 2 day with the hope that it will be treated better. UPS or the MF friend warehouse is really doing a number on them. I am guessing it is UPS.

Here is the email I sent to Dave after the first broken Prophet.

Hi Dave,

First I want to thank you for making far and away the best products in your industry. I am the proud owner of a desktop Evolver and a Prophet 08 (sort of anyway). I hope to be purchasing a drum machine from you in the future as well.

Back to the point of my email. I purchased a Prophet 08 recently and it arrived with a cracked power supply, and many of the key counterweights shaken loose (and god knows what else shaking around inside). Thankfully the store I purchased it from is taking it back and sending me a new machine when they get them in stock. It was clearly the fault of UPS, but it still saddened me to see such a great instrument in unplayable condition. I know you make great effort to price your instruments at such a level that they are affordable to musicians of more modest means, but I think a bit more expense on packing might be appreciated by your customers. Particularly those foolish enough to purchase near the holidays (UPS is clearly under a lot of pressure and not able to be as careful as they ought), and those who wish to retain the box for future moving and / or shipping. Sorry for the long winded email, but I appreciate your reading it.

Thank you and happy holidays,

Pete

Gear: TB-303, MC-505, MC-09, V-Synth GT, FR-777, FR-XS, MFB: Synth II, EMU Proteus 2500/CS, FS1R, Supernova II, Fusion 6HD, ER-1 MKII
Band: 23, A23P, Piss Ant

Post by 23 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:38 am

mono-poly wrote:The False Prophet :D
LOL

sequence

Post by sequence » Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:15 am

Hmmm... and people wonder why I will *not* use f**k UPS to ship keyboards??

Yeah and some monkeys are brown too :lol: as is most shitte

And I didnt mention that my two broken Tritons came from MF, thru UPS. The third was sent DHL at my insistence--and it arrived just fine.

tyrannosaurus mark

Post by tyrannosaurus mark » Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:24 am

That sounds really frustrating, stick with it man the P8 looks like an excellent synth!
Moog LP + Casio SK1 and MT-75 + tube amp = good tone.

drummy
Gear: Univox K-2 Mini-Korg 2
Location: Northfield, Illinois or Milwaukee, Wisconsin (I go back and forth a lot)

Post by drummy » Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:46 am

Oof. I hate Musician's Friend. Terrible packing when I ordered stuff from them, and it took forever. Terrible customer service too. Blech.

synapsecollapse
Gear: MS20 Mini, Eurorack stuffs, Elektron Machinedrum, Venom, iPad mini, DX7

Post by synapsecollapse » Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:55 am

musicians friend = guitar center = BAD NEWS.

next time try nova muzik or AH next time if for no other reason than that they are more supportive of and cater more strongly to the synth community.

really, it doesn't look like DSI is doing anything wrong here at all though.

Dr. Sound

Post by Dr. Sound » Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:01 am

Musician's Friend is still around?

I would highly recommend Nova Musik.

I also can't help but remember commenting a while back, after demoing a P-08, how I thought the build quality left quite a bit to be desired. The same was said by quite a few others.

Seems like the rack would be less prone to breakage if you have a controller handy.

Just my 2 pennies.
[ + ]

braincandy
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Post by braincandy » Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:21 am

Another satisfied Novamusik customer here. Also, Sweetwater has been great in shipping things and they use FED EX.
Fender Blacktop Jazzmaster | Squier CV Duo-Sonic | e6400 Ultra | Blofeld | a bunch of effects

sequence

Post by sequence » Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:28 am

+1 on both Nova and Sweetwater. And FedEx. I use them exclusively, hundreds of shipments, many fragile instruments, *never* an issue. 8)

And double ++1 on the Prophet 08 module :D That's what ive been waitin fer!! I want number 1 haha :lol: :roll: