Synthesizers that have a 'Moog-like' sound

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
tyrannosaurus mark

Synthesizers that have a 'Moog-like' sound

Post by tyrannosaurus mark » Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:06 am

Does anyone have experience with synths that have that sort of 'moog' sound? Maybe mono a evolver or something?

From the sounds I've programmed I can say that micro korgs, a nord lead 2s and juno-60s (hahaha, I know) DONT have those moogy-goodness sounds in them

Anyway, enlighten me!
Moog LP + Casio SK1 and MT-75 + tube amp = good tone.

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:19 am

ARP 2600 with a 4012...
But beyond synths with ripoff ladder filters, there just aren't a lot that have the Moog sound.

Of course, different people have wider allowances for what constitutes the sound. I've seen people say just about every analog synth ever "sounds like a MOOG!" But I would take that with a grain of salt. Or a bucket of grains of salt.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

sequence

Post by sequence » Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:25 am

Grasshopper, a Moog is a Moog is a Moog. Ive played digitals (ie Nord Lead) that come close--but not quite. I also play analogs (ie my Red Square mkII) that come close--but again, not quite.

It's just the unique nature of the ladder filter beast. :D

(and Evolver does *not* sound like a Moog, btw, not even close)
Last edited by sequence on Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
twentyfirst century fizMO man

tyrannosaurus mark

Post by tyrannosaurus mark » Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:25 am

Yeah, and I think some VA sounds are advertised as 'moog-like', so people without any experience of moog synths might think that's the moog sound?

Anyway, has anyone else come across a synth that sounds particularly like a moog synth?

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:38 am

tyrannosaurus mark wrote:Anyway, has anyone else come across a synth that sounds particularly like a moog synth?
I find that Minimoogs sound particularly Moogy. So does the Source.

sequence

Post by sequence » Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:40 am

When i had my Novation A-station, with some effort I could get a real close Moog emulation. A-Station had the Nova/Supernova liquid analog synth engine, so I would guess one of those might do the trick.

Although another that comes to mind is the Yamaha An1x, im sure others will have their own suggestions based on their experiences. :D
Last edited by sequence on Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

aeon

Post by aeon » Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:40 am

The Mini is the Moog sound.

So what sounds like a Mini, if not a Mini?

A Moog Source, perhaps?

cheers,
Ian

cornutt
Gear: 6th

Post by cornutt » Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:40 am

Dotcom modular with the Q150 filter.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:47 am

aeon wrote:The Mini is the Moog sound.

So what sounds like a Mini, if not a Mini?

A Moog Source, perhaps?

cheers,
Ian
Great minds! :D

tyrannosaurus mark

Post by tyrannosaurus mark » Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:52 am

My current 'source' (hehe) for moog sounds is my LP, but just wondering what other's experience is with emulating moog sounds

Of course, I've never actually played a mini (who knows if there's even one in New Zealand!) so I guess my idea of moog sounds is based on my LP, plus listening to heaps of kraftwerk

sequence

Post by sequence » Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:55 am

aeon wrote:The Mini is the Moog sound. So what sounds like a Mini, if not a Mini?A Moog Source, perhaps?
A Phatty and a Source are going to sound more like the MM model D than a Voyager would, esp. on the bass end. Simplicity has its advantages. 8)

Now the new Voyager Old School, we'll have to wait and see...

Analog Freak

Post by Analog Freak » Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:07 am

Get your pitchforks and torches ready, but I think the Korg DSS-1's filters have a very Moog-like quality. I've gotten all kinds of surprises fiddling around with the filters on these things, they can be cutting and nasty or soft and subdued (especially when you switch the cutoff to 12 dB / octave). It's just a great machine all around. I honestly can't say why the values are so low for them, they have so many great features and blow away`competition costing much more. I guess some people just can't get past the lack of knobs and the huge size. The Korg DW-8000 and the DW-6000 have the same filters (I think), and so could also have much of the same tonal qualities, but I don't have any experience with them, so I can't vouch for their similarities personally. I wouldn't buy anything but the DSS-1 though, because it does everything the DW line will do, plus a whole bunch more for about the same price.
"All Your Synthesizers Are Belong To Us!" Literally.

REwire

Post by REwire » Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:26 am

I have an Arp Odyssey 2813 whose filter I can't identify, but amazed me when I could not tell patches it made apart from my 1973 Minimoog.

Macbeth Synths are the closest new thing I've heard to my Mini. Macbeth is working on a synth called the X-Factor, which based on my M5/Mini experience, I bet will be as close to the sound.

You can find MicroMoogs, Rogues and Prodigy's still affordable that will be not as useful as an LP, but closer to the actual sound.

To correct an earlier post: A Nord Lead 1 is identical soundwise to a Nord Lead 2. I had a patch banks saved from my NL1 before selling and loaded into my later NL2 sounding exactly the same. The NL2X I cannot verify though.
Buchla, Serge & Eurorack Modular; EML101; Minimoog; Synthacon; MS20; Nord2; NordG1; PolyEvoRack; MKS80; MKS50; TB303; Electribe EMX1; JV1080
http://www.REwireMusic.com

polardark

Post by polardark » Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:30 am

I think you can make many synths sound moogy if you just program them right. I even managed to get some moogy leads from unlikely candidates such as the Novation Bass Station Rack. Main thing is that you use 24dB filters and use portamento in that wonky way that the original mini did.

i_watch_stars

Re: Synthesizers that have a 'Moog-like' sound

Post by i_watch_stars » Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:57 am

tyrannosaurus mark wrote: From the sounds I've programmed I can say that micro korgs, a nord lead 2s...!
Really? I would consider both of those the anti-moog..
JP-8080, Virus B, TG-77, JD-990, D-550, XV-5080, CS1x, Matrix 1000, SE-1, SuperNova II Pro Rack, MKS-50, EMX-1, TX-802, Nord Rack 2X, Korg RADIAS