Synthesizers that have a 'Moog-like' sound

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
clusterchord
Band: Nimbus Dei

Post by clusterchord » Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:44 am

dracena wrote:.. So if you are looking into moogy sound don't be afraid to check COTK. But be prepared to wait 3 or more months for delivey.

@Clusterchord: to confirm my words you should check the links that I sent to you 2 days ago via PM on another synth forum that you are visiting regulary.
thanks.. but which forum do u mean, i checked on GS electronic but i got no pm there, do u mean kss or som other?

i did hear some demos of COTK, and right off the bat it didnth have the girth or the quality i know so well from moog modular.. i grew up listening to that sound all day long.. and so far, closest ive heard is motm stuff - if indeed too clean but they at elast got the "girth" part right. now they need to work on drift n dirt.

id sure like to be proven wrong.. either in case of COTK or MOSLAB.. then id buy em for sure.. its not a religious issue for me.. i just want that sound, if someone can make it for less money than buying original 900 nmodules,.,, im happy. doenst need to have a moog sticker.

however differnet ppl have different references n needs when it comes to what is "close enough". so far i havent been convinced by any new system in existance. otherwise id surely have one.

btw, theres a moog55 locally and a frined knows the owner so hopefully will arrange a sml session soon.. im bringing something to record to..:)

jupiter · oberheim · prophet · sh · moog · andromeda · ppg wave · vs · waldorf · yamaha · eii · casio
rhodes · solina · acetone · eurorack · system100 · förster · lexicon · eventide · space echo · svc350 etc

THM
Gear: ARP 2600
Elka Synthex
EML Polybox
EMS SynthiAKS
mTron
MOOG Mini- & Memorymoog
Oberheim SEM
Roland Jupiter-8/...
Yamaha CS80
DotCom
>see MySpace
Band: THM

Post by THM » Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:25 am

When I talked about the DotCom Q150 Ladder Filter, I forgot to mention the MOTM 490 module too for very realistic MOOG-like 24dB lowpass filtering.
DotCom Modular * ARP 2600 * Elka Synthex * EML PolyBox * EMS Synthi AKS * MOOG Minimoog Model D, Memorymoog * Kurzweil PC88 * Oberheim SEM * Roland Jupiter-8, JP-8080, Juno-60, TR808, TB303, MKS50, RE301, SDE330, SRV330 * Yamaha CS0 * see THM on MySpace

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Post by shaft9000 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:03 am

martinp268 wrote: I wouldn't buy anything else that comes close, because being close still doesn't mean you're there.

With synthesizers, there is nothing worse for me that spending hours upon hours, programming a Moog sound on the best Moog clone available, only to discover that my patch sounds almost exactly like the real instrument only except the tiny, tiny part. Usually, that minute missing part is responsible for sending shivers down my spine.
Hit the nail on the head there, mate.

Until one has a Moog there's simply no substitute for the real thing, .

MacBeth, ARP, .com, Phil Cicciro(sp) all make incredible stuff but it is not Moog.
They are wonders of discrete engineering, but not Moog.

SE's are practically half-software (analog LFO's and EGs REALLY DO MATTER QUITE A BIT) - so it's certainly not the Moog experience there. Again, nice synths - but no Moog. Ditto for Waldorf Pulse; even moreso.

The Ion, MS2k, Novation etc...a loooong way from Moog. Those may 'sound like' Moog sometimes, but don't respond at all similarly.
And a VST is... is...you get the idea.

These different models have names for a reason, and it's because they are designed, built, applied and behave differently thankfully.

Actually, I'm more satisfied when a clone DOESN'T sound like a Moog so it can at least have it's own personality.
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

dronestudios

Post by dronestudios » Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:39 pm

Automatic Gainsay wrote:Okay, we've come full circle, as we always do with any Moog sound related thread.
Moog users who make comparisons between Moogs.
Moog users who make comparisons to non-Moogs.
Non-Moog users who make comparisions between Moogs and other synths.
Non-Moog users who insist that some non-Moogs sound very similar to Moogs
Non-Moog users who insist that some non-Moogs are indistinguishable from Moogs
Non-Moog users who insist that any synth can sound just like a Moog
Software users who insist that software sounds just like hardware Moogs

So, the bell curve has spoken. Everything has the Moog sound!

That's a relief. All prices should plummet now! We're saved!
I have the following synths that sound "Moogy".

Yamaha CS-15
Roland SH-2
Roland SH-3A
Roland SH-101
Roland MKS-50
Ensoniq ESQm
Korg EX-8000
Novation Super BassStation
Vermona Perfourmer
Superbass 4.4
Alesis Andromeda
Roland Juno-60
Kawai SX-240
DSI Evolver
Yamaha AN200
Oberheim Matrix 1000

Wait a minute! That's my entire synth collection! Eh, I need to get an older Moog.
Last edited by dronestudios on Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

dronestudios

Post by dronestudios » Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:48 pm

kaffekick wrote:There are three synths that I think sound "instant Moog".

1. Minimoog (no s**t..)
2. Moog Little Phatty Stage Edition
3. Moog Source

Other machines that also has got much of that character but don't nail it like the three above are Micromoog and Moog Voyager.

Non Moogs that sound somewhat "moogy" to me..

Creamware Minimax (this is among the better ones IMO)
Gmedia Minimonsta (better than Arturias IMO)
SCI Pro One
MFB Synths II
Yamaha CS20m
By the way, I have owned a Moog Voyager, Studio Electronics SE-1 and a Studio Electronics ATC-1 with all four filters.

I felt the Moog Voyager was a whole lot smoother than the SE-1 and the ATC-1. I was able to recreate all the Kraftwerk stuff from Autobahn (which was essentially done on a Minimoog) better on the SE-1 and ATC-1 than on the Voyager. Go figure!

Wadsmitter

Re: Synthesizers that have a 'Moog-like' sound

Post by Wadsmitter » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:16 pm

I think that the Vermona Lancet 15' comes pretty close to a mini!

vladimotor
Gear: V-Synth, Kurzweil PC3le6, Akai Miniak, Korg MicroX, Godin Solidac, Breedlove AC25, Live, Samplitude pro, Zebra, Z3ta, Imposcar, Absynth 4, FM8, Pro53

Post by vladimotor » Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:22 pm

I do not even understand why some people are into Moog sound. Can somebody post a musical example of why Mood is "amazing"?
The only analog synths that ever impressed me were maybe P5, Obxa and Andromeda, I can somewhat see an appeal of Arps and Jupiter8(even thou I don't really care for it). Didn't early Gary Numan used to use Moogs? His music used to sound wimpy and weak. Let me hear some signature, great Moog sound.

CZ Rider

Post by CZ Rider » Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:43 pm

For a nice listen, recorded in 2011, a modular Moog multi track holiday tune.
Christmas Eve on a 1969 Moog
Other than the Emu procussion drum track it is all 1969 R.A.Moog. All tracks straight Moog with only a phase shifter on the first guitar/harpsicord track. Enjoy!

meatballfulton
Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:18 am

vladimotor wrote:I do not even understand why some people are into Moog sound. The only analog synths that ever impressed me were maybe P5, Obxa and Andromeda, I can somewhat see an appeal of Arps and Jupiter8(even thou I don't really care for it).
Based on your tastes I'm not surprised you wonder why people like the Moog sound. Maybe the biggest reason is that until 1972 that was pretty much the only synth heard on records (except for Morton Subnotick's Buchla). Lots of great records were made in the early 70s with MiniMoogs that really brought synths into mainstream music. People still seem to have a sweet tooth for the sound of the Moog ladder filter, copping that sound has been a holy grail of both hard and soft synth makers for years...as this thread makes pretty evident.

Taste is so personal, I never was a fan of Roland or Korg analogs myself.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

vladimotor
Gear: V-Synth, Kurzweil PC3le6, Akai Miniak, Korg MicroX, Godin Solidac, Breedlove AC25, Live, Samplitude pro, Zebra, Z3ta, Imposcar, Absynth 4, FM8, Pro53

Post by vladimotor » Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:48 am

Are we talking about some sort of prog-rock synth solos?

Broadwave
Gear: Kronos 2-88, System 8, MODX6, ARP Odyssey, BroadWAVE ARP 2600EX, BroadWAVE Modular, BroadWAVE Sparta, BroadWAVE Minimoog, oh... and some guitars.

Post by Broadwave » Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:07 am

You may not like it, but there's no denying that the Behringer Model D does actually sound Moogish, so does GuinGuin's DIY "MME" Minimoog Clone which I'm currently testing :o :o :o