Synthesizers that have a 'Moog-like' sound

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
esqoner

Post by esqoner » Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:37 pm

esq-1 has some passable minimoog presets.

good enough for me!

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:42 pm

THM wrote:
An example of a system that can come pretty close: the Synthesizers.com modular systems. Especially the Synthesizer.com Q150 Ladder Filter is imho a pretty decent MOOG 904A clone.
I found the Q150 to be a decent ladder filter.

However, I found the Q106 the furthest thing from a Moog oscillator of any sort. It is just too stable, too precise, and lacks a distinctive character. Of course, all of those aspects could easily be viewed at positives by many!
Anyone can judge for themselves with my Q106 demo, though!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmM8qIb8rjE
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

i_watch_stars

Post by i_watch_stars » Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:48 pm

tyrannosaurus mark wrote:I'm confused by your post, I said that those synths DON'T have that 'moogy' sound

And so I agree with you about the microkorg, but I think the nord is trying to get into that territory but it lacks a certain something, and that certain something is the thing I want! I'm gonna keep trying to program it though, its early days for me with the nord
Oh, oops. :)

Well anyway, I have had the pleasure of comparing my SE-1 with a vintage Moog model D and I have to say they sound very much alike IMO.
JP-8080, Virus B, TG-77, JD-990, D-550, XV-5080, CS1x, Matrix 1000, SE-1, SuperNova II Pro Rack, MKS-50, EMX-1, TX-802, Nord Rack 2X, Korg RADIAS

hfinn
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: http://soundcloud.com/heath-finnie

Post by hfinn » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:38 am

Probably the closest I've come with it out actually being a Moog was a Crumar DS-2 believe it or not.

tyrannosaurus mark

Post by tyrannosaurus mark » Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:07 am

Automatic Gainsay, it's your demo on youtube that put me onto the micromoog. I've actually found for sale locally both a micromoog and a prodigy which is an extremely unusual thing in New Zealand (population 4million!). Brilliant demo, you were programming sorts of sounds that are close to what I would use. What in your opinion are the practical limitations of this synth that you've come across in using it?

I'm sure the prodigy sounds great too but there are no demos that are using programs anything like what I'm interested in. I will of course try both the synths out but I like to try synths out plus look at demos because when you're sititng there with the synth it can sometimes be difficult to overcome your excitement and maintain a somewhat objective viewpoint
Moog LP + Casio SK1 and MT-75 + tube amp = good tone.

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:08 am

tyrannosaurus mark wrote:Automatic Gainsay, it's your demo on youtube that put me onto the micromoog. I've actually found for sale locally both a micromoog and a prodigy which is an extremely unusual thing in New Zealand (population 4million!). Brilliant demo, you were programming sorts of sounds that are close to what I would use. What in your opinion are the practical limitations of this synth that you've come across in using it?

I'm sure the prodigy sounds great too but there are no demos that are using programs anything like what I'm interested in. I will of course try both the synths out but I like to try synths out plus look at demos because when you're sititng there with the synth it can sometimes be difficult to overcome your excitement and maintain a somewhat objective viewpoint
I would say that it would've been nice if the envelopes were more than just AR... but the good news is, they both have switchable sustain. And, there are two. So many economy monosynths were made with a single ENV for both VCA and VCF, but the Micro has two. The AR is never as expressive as an ADSR, of course... but they're not too bad.
Also, one could always wish that it had two oscillators.

The Micro has a lot of unique features that make it a great synth for the money. I would probably take one over the Prodigy because of the incredibly unique and cool modulation routing and the continuously variable oscillator waveshapes!

Thanks for watching the demo... I'm glad it was helpful!
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage

THM
Gear: ARP 2600
Elka Synthex
EML Polybox
EMS SynthiAKS
mTron
MOOG Mini- & Memorymoog
Oberheim SEM
Roland Jupiter-8/...
Yamaha CS80
DotCom
>see MySpace
Band: THM

Post by THM » Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:57 pm

Automatic Gainsay wrote:
THM wrote:
An example of a system that can come pretty close: the Synthesizers.com modular systems. Especially the Synthesizer.com Q150 Ladder Filter is imho a pretty decent MOOG 904A clone.

However, I found the Q106 the furthest thing from a Moog oscillator of any sort. It is just too stable, too precise, and lacks a distinctive character. Of course, all of those aspects could easily be viewed at positives by many!
That's right; actually that's why I focused on the filter only. Also the DotCom Amplifier modules are too clean compared to the MOOG ones.

But imho still some sounds are coming very close to original MOOG sounds.
DotCom Modular * ARP 2600 * Elka Synthex * EML PolyBox * EMS Synthi AKS * MOOG Minimoog Model D, Memorymoog * Kurzweil PC88 * Oberheim SEM * Roland Jupiter-8, JP-8080, Juno-60, TR808, TB303, MKS50, RE301, SDE330, SRV330 * Yamaha CS0 * see THM on MySpace

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:14 pm

THM wrote:
Automatic Gainsay wrote:
THM wrote:

That's right; actually that's why I focused on the filter only. Also the DotCom Amplifier modules are too clean compared to the MOOG ones.

But imho still some sounds are coming very close to original MOOG sounds.
Ah, yes.
I didn't mean to sound as contrary as I did in my post.
It seems to be a largely held by people who have used Moog modulars that the dot com stuff can provide a similar experience and sound.
I was able to create some suitably Mooglike sounds, but I spent a lot of routing time trying to roughen up the oscillators. : )

redchapterjubilee

Post by redchapterjubilee » Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:56 pm

I've only owned two Moogs (MG-1 & Source) but have had the chance to spend a lot of time with a Model D and a Rogue. The Source is the closest I've come to the sheer "presence" of a classic Model D. So much is made of the Moog filter, but there's more to the Moog sound than just the filter. The MG-1 and Rogue share the same filter but the Rogue's true Moog oscillators are more robust than the Italian-made VCO's in the MG-1.

When I play live I have this one song "Starlight Attractions" that requires overlapping leads from the Source. Although the Source has presets I really can't do this as smoothly as I can on the recording so I've had to program the same dual-saws lead sound on a number of other synths and software. I could easily dial up the same sound on an Alesis Micron, Novation Bass Station or Arturia's MiniMoog V. That said, if I brought the same sound up on the Source (preset 2) the Source has a fuller, richer, more "present" sound than any of the digital copies. The copies are certainly good and are certainly acceptible to me, it's when you throw them up side by side that the Source kills. I've owned several other VA's (Novation A-Station, MicroKorg), an MFB Synth Lite (digital w/analog filter) and a Yamaha CS01 and those can get Moog-like and would certainly pass. The truth is the average listener won't know whether my saws lead comes from the Moog or the laptop, but I certainly can tell!
http://facebook.com/greatunwashedluminaries
ANALOG SYNTHESIZERS + EFFECTS + COMPUTERS

premieklovn
Gear: T.O.N.T.O
Band: Monomen

Post by premieklovn » Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:23 pm

My Vermona Synthesizer reminds me of Moog some how. I dont know why but I just get a moog-feeling when playing it.

Soundwave

Post by Soundwave » Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:24 pm

SE1
ATC
Pulse (better with warmer VCO's thru the filter in)
M3
AS (with the Moog ladder module)
Arturia Modular/Minimoog

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:39 pm

Okay, we've come full circle, as we always do with any Moog sound related thread.
Moog users who make comparisons between Moogs.
Moog users who make comparisons to non-Moogs.
Non-Moog users who make comparisions between Moogs and other synths.
Non-Moog users who insist that some non-Moogs sound very similar to Moogs
Non-Moog users who insist that some non-Moogs are indistinguishable from Moogs
Non-Moog users who insist that any synth can sound just like a Moog
Software users who insist that software sounds just like hardware Moogs

So, the bell curve has spoken. Everything has the Moog sound!

That's a relief. All prices should plummet now! We're saved!

tyrannosaurus mark

Post by tyrannosaurus mark » Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:52 pm

redchapterjubilee wrote:I've only owned two Moogs (MG-1 & Source) but have had the chance to spend a lot of time with a Model D and a Rogue. The Source is the closest I've come to the sheer "presence" of a classic Model D. So much is made of the Moog filter, but there's more to the Moog sound than just the filter. The MG-1 and Rogue share the same filter but the Rogue's true Moog oscillators are more robust than the Italian-made VCO's in the MG-1.

When I play live I have this one song "Starlight Attractions" that requires overlapping leads from the Source. Although the Source has presets I really can't do this as smoothly as I can on the recording so I've had to program the same dual-saws lead sound on a number of other synths and software. I could easily dial up the same sound on an Alesis Micron, Novation Bass Station or Arturia's MiniMoog V. That said, if I brought the same sound up on the Source (preset 2) the Source has a fuller, richer, more "present" sound than any of the digital copies. The copies are certainly good and are certainly acceptible to me, it's when you throw them up side by side that the Source kills. I've owned several other VA's (Novation A-Station, MicroKorg), an MFB Synth Lite (digital w/analog filter) and a Yamaha CS01 and those can get Moog-like and would certainly pass. The truth is the average listener won't know whether my saws lead comes from the Moog or the laptop, but I certainly can tell!
That's a really helpful post, thanks man! :)
Moog LP + Casio SK1 and MT-75 + tube amp = good tone.

pricklyrobot
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pricklyrobot » Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:53 pm

It's all about those resonant wooden end-cheeks, that's what's missing from the modern imitations! :wink:

Your satisfaction in the moogness of any non-Moog piece of gear probably has a lot to do with what particular part of the Moog sound really does it for you. If your moog-analog (not to be confused with a Moog analog, lame pun I know but I couldn't resist) of choice is good at replicating one particular part of the Moog sound that you love, then it'll seem much more convincing to you than to others who may be hung up on a different facets of moogness .

I'll say my Minimax ASB does the particular moogness that I enjoy well enough so that I don't regret too badly selling my Source, but that's as far as I'll go.
Arturia MiniBrute -- bits o' Euro -- Sammich SID -- E-mu MP-7 -- Korg ER-1 -- Thingamagoop

Sexor
Gear: Prophet6, Jupiter-7, MS25, Juno-50, TR-303, Rhodes 63

Post by Sexor » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:53 pm

Why can't I love my Prodigy?

I want to love it so baad but I don't :(
Monkey business since 2007!