Synthesizers that have a 'Moog-like' sound

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
tyrannosaurus mark

Post by tyrannosaurus mark » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:49 pm

What don't you like about it?

Or are you just not gel-ing with the character of the synth?
Moog LP + Casio SK1 and MT-75 + tube amp = good tone.

kaffekick

Post by kaffekick » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:55 pm

There are three synths that I think sound "instant Moog".

1. Minimoog (no s**t..)
2. Moog Little Phatty Stage Edition
3. Moog Source

Other machines that also has got much of that character but don't nail it like the three above are Micromoog and Moog Voyager.

Non Moogs that sound somewhat "moogy" to me..

Creamware Minimax (this is among the better ones IMO)
Gmedia Minimonsta (better than Arturias IMO)
SCI Pro One
MFB Synths II
Yamaha CS20m
Gear: Yamaha Electone B-405

Pete

Post by Pete » Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:21 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:
tyrannosaurus mark wrote:Anyway, has anyone else come across a synth that sounds particularly like a moog synth?
I find that Minimoogs sound particularly Moogy. So does the Source.
Yes, the word is Moogy.

otto
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by otto » Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:20 am

Sexor wrote:Why can't I love my Prodigy?

I want to love it so baad but I don't :(
Ditch it. If I've learned anything from this forum it is that we all have very different tastes and workflows and that just because many other people on the forum love a synth doesn't mean you will too.
hello darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again

clusterchord
Band: Nimbus Dei

Post by clusterchord » Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:39 am

@CZ Rider: mini is a "mini" of 921 VCOs not of 901s. 901 were highly unstable and were raplaced in modulars early on

anyway, big part of moog sound is its VCA. seems most modular manufacturers today, that are obsessed with moog sound, focus only on filters, and we have quite a few solid moogy ladder filters out there. however VCOs are just to thin and even, too perfect, and VCAs are too clean, no subtle coloration and sautration. this includes new products by moogmusic. of course, tastes vary, but to me that aint 70s moog sound. and i do like Vyg, but not as a replacement for mini. id rather have source oirmultimoog if pressed to choose a mini replacement.

fwiw first newly-made VCA i heard, that shows signs of life, in the right direction , is discrete VCA upgrade for SE products. however they're mared by insisting on software envs. so im keeping my fingers crossed that new macbeth x factor will actually be true to designs of yesteryear, thru n thru.. well see..

about nord:

fwiw, i think Nord was never meant/eared owards moog sound.. its was always Prophet, and to an extent Jupiter8. and having the originals i can recognize that in its character, to an extent. sure its not a great emulation, but i think Clavia created a "musical"instruent that works in its own right, has character, which is far more than most other va and vsti va manufacturers can say for their stuff..

@spooky: pls tell me more about MOSLAB. i heard them demos and was disaapointed with clean n perfect tone.. how was your 1st hand experience..?

COTK has very poor build quality and sound, several reports of grounding and crosstalk issues.. and it has PERFECT design. id take sound over looks any day.. so, phk it.

jupiter · oberheim · prophet · sh · moog · andromeda · ppg wave · vs · waldorf · yamaha · eii · casio
rhodes · solina · acetone · eurorack · system100 · förster · lexicon · eventide · space echo · svc350 etc

Clavier
Gear: A distraction.
Band: Rhode Out West

Post by Clavier » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:17 am

tyrannosaurus mark wrote:Wow, impressive hoard of moog synthesizers there!

How about the micromoog, a good source of 'the moog sound' ?
CZ: I nearly shat myself seeing that.

Re:Micromoog

I own one. I can't wait to get another. I think they are an excellent Moog.
Hammond RT-2, Hammond M3, Hammond L-102, Rhodes mk1 suitcase 88, Sequential Circuits Prophet-5, Yamaha TX-802, Fender Twin Reverb, Leslie 45

dracena
Gear: 2cabinet 100m,Source, MS20, sh09, JP8, OB8,OBSX,106,Performer,DX7, DX21,FB01,CZ101,Maestro, MC4,
909,707,626,Drumtraks,dr110,kpr77

Post by dracena » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:37 am

clusterchord wrote: COTK has very poor build quality and sound, several reports of grounding and crosstalk issues.. and it has PERFECT design. id take sound over looks any day.. so, phk it.
I'm not quite sure that this statement is correct. I heard that first few units, which were built by the COTK designer himself without help of other tehnicians, had poor built quality.
But that were just first few units!
After that he hired few more men that help building new units and qulity has improved. That's what I heard 1st hand from the users of COTK modulars themselves.

So if you are looking into moogy sound don't be afraid to check COTK. But be prepared to wait 3 or more months for delivey.

@Clusterchord: to confirm my words you should check the links that I sent to you 2 days ago via PM on another synth forum that you are visiting regulary.

Ezzo

Post by Ezzo » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:28 am

I totally agree
Octave Cat SRM
Korg Polysix
Boss DR 770
Line 6 POD XT
Tascam DP01

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:54 pm

clusterchord wrote:@CZ Rider: mini is a "mini" of 921 VCOs not of 901s. 901 were highly unstable and were raplaced in modulars early on
Afaik, the all-discrete oscillators used in the early RA Moog/Musonics Minimoog are not the same as the 901B osc's either. Reportedly they're somewhat more stable than the 901's but not as stable as the 921B's or the oscillators used in the Moog Music Minimoog's (units made from 1972 up to 1978).
Micke
"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979

you + me + my amplifier

Post by you + me + my amplifier » Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:39 am

i vote micromoog!

tho i dont feel they're actually all that micro... oh well

lowpass

Re: Synthesizers that have a 'Moog-like' sound

Post by lowpass » Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:37 am

Mmmh..you learn something every day...all those Moog synths gives you a Moog-like sound, I never thought about that! :o

A non-moog synthesizer (or clone) that gets you close is the ION. His mg filter does a good job and three oscillators help in emulating Minimoog or even modular patches.

ipassenger

Post by ipassenger » Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:42 am

I always thought the Waldorf Pulse was supposed to be a pretty close Moog emu. I own one and i think it can sound pretty heavy and fat, when u overdrive the oscs into the filter, whether it sounds like a genuine Mini model D or not i don't know, as without doing a side by side comparison it is impossible to tell.

Hence the problem with this kind of question a lot of folk offering their opinion have never even seen a Model D in the flesh let alone played on one. Making a judgement of a Model D's sound by a recording of one is prone to all kinds of varience to, so u really can't judge without having one in yr mits...

So all those that have made comments based on actual experience are the guys/girls to listen to...e.g. not me... hehe.

Juno6

Post by Juno6 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:54 pm

The Andromeda has copies of the circuits of the 921b oscillators and 904a filters from the Moog Modular. And also the S.E.M. filters. It can sound very moogy if you want to.

Martin P268
No Longer Registered

Post by Martin P268 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:01 pm

Some people like to complicate their lives but I don't. If I wanted Moogy sound, I would get a Moog. I wouldn't buy anything else that comes close, because being close still doesn't mean you're there.

If, for any reason, I couldn't have a Moog, I would look elsewhere for a sound character that I like and can have at the same time. So, do you like Yamaha CS or DX sound, Roland sound, Korg sound? Forget about Moog if you can't have it or frustration will force you to play the didgeridoo (affordable + has distinctive character = pleasure to play).

With synthesizers, there is nothing worse for me that spending hours upon hours, programming a Moog sound on the best Moog clone available, only to discover that my patch sounds almost exactly like the real instrument only except the tiny, tiny part. Usually, that minute missing part is responsible for sending shivers down my spine.

Italo_DX

Post by Italo_DX » Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:11 pm

I can get a convincing Moog bass sound out of my JX-3P, either a wet, "wow" type or a biting plucked type.

Leads, not so much, as the JX-3P lacks portamento.
Yamaha SY77
Casio CZ-3000
Casio SA-5
BOSS DR-220E
Previously owned: Yamaha DX21, Roland JX-3P, Ensoniq SQ-80, Roland D-50