ESQ-1 Destroyed During Shipping (R.I.P. 7/30/87---1/22/08)

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Italo_DX

ESQ-1 Destroyed During Shipping (R.I.P. 7/30/87---1/22/08)

Post by Italo_DX » Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:56 pm

Before I rip open the laughably futile UPS cardboard packaging that contains my next obsession, I have a few questions and concerns I'd like to get ironed out first.

1. It looks like I bought a plastic-cased model. Good or bad? Here is the manufacture info:

Date of manufacture: 7/30/1987
Serial No. ESQ-29980-D

Which software will this come with? I currently have no means of upgrading to 3.5.

2. The sequencer. Am I to understand that I can create a decent 8 track ~4 min songs using only this synth, complete with (cheesy) percussion? With 8-voice polyphony, I suppose I would have to keep chords rather simple.

3. Audio output. I really don't want to use my awful, noisy Realistic mixer to route stereo to my speakers. Does RadioShack sell a simple L/R -> Stereo adaptor?

Any help would be appreciated :)
Last edited by Italo_DX on Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yamaha SY77
Casio CZ-3000
Casio SA-5
BOSS DR-220E
Previously owned: Yamaha DX21, Roland JX-3P, Ensoniq SQ-80, Roland D-50

esqoner

Re: ESQ-1 Questions

Post by esqoner » Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:45 pm

Italo_DX wrote:Before I rip open the laughably futile UPS cardboard packaging that contains my next obsession, I have a few questions and concerns I'd like to get ironed out first.

1. It looks like I bought a plastic-cased model. Good or bad? Here is the manufacture info:

Date of manufacture: 7/30/1987
Serial No. ESQ-29980-D

Which software will this come with? I currently have no means of upgrading to 3.5.

2. The sequencer. Am I to understand that I can create a decent 8 track ~4 min songs using only this synth, complete with (cheesy) percussion? With 8-voice polyphony, I suppose I would have to keep chords rather simple.

3. Audio output. I really don't want to use my awful, noisy Realistic mixer to route stereo to my speakers. Does RadioShack sell a simple L/R -> Stereo adaptor?

Any help would be appreciated :)
plastic ones are newer...nice because they won't have corroded or rusted. there is a site you can order the 3.5 eproms from...cannot remember offhadn...i know it comes up on google.

i never use the sequencer for songs (at least yet) i set up patterns and play with them...when i was using an mmt-8 instead of the esq's sequencer i made some cool sounding stuff using the notes cutting off...not that that answers any questions...

the preset highhats are cool. they react cool to velocity and stuff (open close etc)

maybe you could get one of those little behringer (50) dollar mixers.

they do make 1/4 to rca adapters if that is what you are talking about

oh...and open the damn box :D

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Post by OriginalJambo » Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:22 pm

Mine is a metal one and it's quite heavy but looks robust. Also heats up a fair bit!

Cheesy rhythms though? I think there are a few drum waveforms but I don't think there is a drum machine with patterns or anything built in.

braincandy
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Post by braincandy » Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:25 pm

Think of the sequencer more along the lines as a scratchpad for ideas. I used it as my only sequencer back in the day because that was my only option. But it's really easy to work with and the overdub function is great. You can chain sequences (such as a verse, chorus, bridge, etc.) together to make songs and use whatever sounds you choose for each sequence. I was 15 when I learned how to use it, so that should tell you something about it's learning curve.

Oh, and I had one of the ones in the plastic case and it was extremely reliable. Never had a problem with it at all.
Fender Blacktop Jazzmaster | Squier CV Duo-Sonic | e6400 Ultra | Blofeld | a bunch of effects

Italo_DX

Post by Italo_DX » Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:40 pm

Haha well the synth will be shipped to my house but I'm 200 miles away at College right now - so maybe this weekend I'll finally get to explore it.

Once I start composing more songs, I suppose some of them will be created entirely on the ESQ-1 just for fun (with a little reverb added) and more complex productions will utilize my full '80s arsenal ('83 JX-3P, '85 DX21, '87 ESQ-1). Fun times ahead. :P
Yamaha SY77
Casio CZ-3000
Casio SA-5
BOSS DR-220E

Jack Spider
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Gear: -
Bit One
Boss DR-220
Boss DR-660
DSI Mono Evolver Keyboard
Korg LP-10
Roland XP-50
Yamaha QX21

Post by Jack Spider » Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:02 pm

As soon as you fire it up, it will tell you what OS is onboard - if you're lucky, like I was (mine's an earlier metal model), it will already be updated to 3.50.
I didn't get where I am today by posting on internet forums.
http://www.myspace.com/thegreenalsatian
http://www.soundclick.com/greenalsatian

Tyler2000
Gear: HS-60, MG-1, CS-5, ESQ-1, CZ-101, DR-110, MR-10, MDP-40, EA-1, ER-1, ES-1, Trixer, SDS-9, Califorian 365, toys, guitars, ukes, etc.

Post by Tyler2000 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:31 pm

Jack Spider wrote:As soon as you fire it up, it will tell you what OS is onboard - if you're lucky, like I was (mine's an earlier metal model), it will already be updated to 3.50.
I got lucky too!!
so what do I put down here now?

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Jupiter-6, Juno-60, Polysix, Emulator II, DX7, QX1, Arp Odyssey MKII, ESQ-1, Miami, M1r, Live 9, iMac MC309XX/A

Post by Alex E » Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:28 am

Tyler2000 wrote:
Jack Spider wrote:As soon as you fire it up, it will tell you what OS is onboard - if you're lucky, like I was (mine's an earlier metal model), it will already be updated to 3.50.
I got lucky too!!
Me too.

You only get a kick drum on the ESQ-1, so if you want drums you'll have to recreate them. :wink:
soundcloud.com/vectron

Italo_DX

Post by Italo_DX » Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:25 am

Very bad news... My mom called today, apparently the synth arrived but the box it was in was severly damaged. She doesn't even want to open it until Fedex sees it. She hears a rattling sound when she tilts the box.

This is the last thing I need right now... I'm just trying to tell myself that it is a solid state instrument and it can handle a little abuse... I hope.

Any thoughts?

:cry:
Yamaha SY77
Casio CZ-3000
Casio SA-5
BOSS DR-220E

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:40 am

The sequencer is mostly like you choose a track, sound, hit Record and start playing. Afterwards you can tigthen it up by quantizing it. A genious thing about it is that you get a question "do you want to overwrite the sequence?" when you change it. And it lets you compare them. If you like the change, save it, if not, the change is just deleted from the original.

There is also an in-built metronome that isn't part of the recording itself.
Then you choose the next track, hit record, and it plays the first track while you record the next. You can set loop points to where you want the sequence you recorded to end and it'll just play back forever.
It's not like an analog CV sequencer where you can press a key and have the entire sequence transpose to that key. Only plays what you record into it.

It also wants to play back with the sounds that were in the preset location when you recorded it. So if you change soundbanks, the sequence will play the sounds present at that location in the NEW soundbank. Some funny results can happen there :)

In many cases when you load a preset sequence, it won't make a single sound because no sounds are assigned to the different tracks.
I compare it more to an 8-track tape recorder (with 8 tapes inside) rather than an analogue step-type sequencer where you punch in note by note.

Dano

Post by Dano » Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:19 pm

Italo_DX wrote:(with a little reverb added)
Good idea - A touch of reverb adds a lot to the ESQs - I use an Alesis Ineko with my ESQ-M.

Hopefully your ESQ-1 will be OK when you open it!

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:09 pm

Another excellent touch is that you can play any other patch on top of the sequence from the keyboard, as long as the sequence doesn't use all the voices.
So you can have a whole song laid up chord-wise and rythmwise, and just play whatever you want on top of that.

Italo_DX

Post by Italo_DX » Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:27 am

It was destroyed...

Keys broken, the whole bit.

We are having FedEx file a claim and I am telling the seller to do the same with PayPal so i can get my money back...

...and buy a metal-cased ESQ-1.

Now, a moment of silence... (cue "Taps" played with HEVBRS patch)
Yamaha SY77
Casio CZ-3000
Casio SA-5
BOSS DR-220E

Jack Spider
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Gear: -
Bit One
Boss DR-220
Boss DR-660
DSI Mono Evolver Keyboard
Korg LP-10
Roland XP-50
Yamaha QX21

Post by Jack Spider » Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:19 am

I didn't get where I am today by posting on internet forums.
http://www.myspace.com/thegreenalsatian
http://www.soundclick.com/greenalsatian

Italo_DX

Post by Italo_DX » Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:25 am

Thanks, I needed that :P
Yamaha SY77
Casio CZ-3000
Casio SA-5
BOSS DR-220E