ESQ-1 Destroyed During Shipping (R.I.P. 7/30/87---1/22/08)

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:25 pm

Any packing should be taped around the gear, as far as I'm concerned. Any packing that is loose will settle and shift as the box is vibrated, lifted, tipped etc. Packing has to be secure without being tight enough to risk putting undue pressure on pots and switches, and any outer has to be sturdy enough not to puncture too easily. I've had a couple of things arrive in packing that made me sweat donuts: an MC202 in an envelope, anyone? Loose, one layer of bubble-wrap, in a big envelope. Nonononono. Luckily, it was fine. I've never had major damage to any arrival, though a couple of times there have been minor repairs needed.

I ensure that when I pack and ship, there is a h**l of a lot of bubble-wrap in an oversize box, and everything is taped in layers. The boxes are generally taped round twice with parcel tape, and I make sure to mark 'fragile' on at least one side. Whether people read that is another matter...

Heath, I had no idea your 700 had been damaged - that really would have me tearing my hair out. Sorry to hear that.

I can vouch for mini's packing, anyway. :wink:

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:28 pm

I even saw a pic of someone that wrapped plastic bottles on the innermost layer, taped them up, then bubblewrap around that again.

But seriously, if you're so bloody cheap that you can't afford some bubblewrapping, you'd better not be selling synths via the mail.

My SQ80 had so many layers of bubblewrap around it, I'll probably have enough for years to come if I want to send something.

memo

Post by memo » Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:38 pm

There's really no excuse for poor packing - you can get bubble wrap and foam peanuts free off of craigslist from people moving. Plus nice boxes.

If you can't do that, then you need to put the $20-25 into the packing cost. Or have the buyer cover it. But you can't ship without good protection.

I have an extra ESQ-1 that I'm probably going to sell soon. The battery is out though.

Box
Gear: Roland JP-8000
Roland JX-3P
Roland JX-8P
1972 Wurlitzer Console Piano
Band: Neo Decorum
Location: Land of oscillators, filters, and other really cool looking stuff.

Post by Box » Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:19 am

minime123 wrote:
this is seriously troubling. there should be a new rule for people on this forum to force detailed packing instructions on anyone who they buy a synth from. cause we dont need any more banged up vintage synths out there. and everyone here should know that most people who dont normally sell synths dont know how to pack synths. so how bout it? new rule? :)
That's what I always do. So what if I'll look like an a*s; at least my synth will get to me in one piece. :P

But whenever I ship I'll put a wood board across the front to eliminate movement and blows to the front of the board, place newspaper under key-bed, wrap with bubble wrap then fill box with peanuts then place in another box fill with peanuts and mark "FRAGILE" on every face of the box.
Help our very own Maschinengeist (Stéphane) by making your next purchase or repair with him! Click the logo for more info!

adsr

Post by adsr » Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:34 pm

this thread is outstanding. i have been postponing the selling of some bigger gear because of the shipping involved. sharing good ideas (and horror stories) helps us all ship by the same high standards and, hopefully, we can save a few vintage pieces...

minime123...it seems you (and there are others) ship all the time. not that this should fall on you, per se, but maybe a 10 point checklist of how you ship a basic 61-key synth would help us all out. and others adding to the checklist would only make things easier...
Micron - MMT8 - AX60 - MPC2000 - MPC500 - S2800 - CZ3000 - SK1 (x2) - SQ80 - EA1 - ER1 - mK - Poly 800 II - BSR - Alpha Juno2 - JV1010 - TR505 - MicroQ - DX21 - RT123

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:38 pm

True, I've been postponing selling some of my larger boards because I'm worried I won't pack it well enough. Specially when I know how careless the mail system is with large packages. But I sold them locally anyway.

It's not like I have 61-key sized cardboard boxes lying around the house either.

BlackGnosis
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: See signature image.
Band: Eridani V

Post by BlackGnosis » Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:53 pm

Jack Spider wrote:And as if on cue...

http://media.putfile.com/Taps---ESQ-1-HEVBRS
OMG lol! your a riot =D
Ashe37 wrote:I find it funny that you're a guitar pedal snob and yet don't own a single analog synth.

Italo_DX

Post by Italo_DX » Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:44 pm

I got my refund today; $182.50, not quite the $212.50 I paid but she split the difference with the shipping.
Yamaha SY77
Casio CZ-3000
Casio SA-5
BOSS DR-220E
Previously owned: Yamaha DX21, Roland JX-3P, Ensoniq SQ-80, Roland D-50

The Cancer Years

Post by The Cancer Years » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:38 pm

i'd say it's a win, Paypal has done some shady things to me before.
Ensoniq esq1 x2 : Korg sg-1 : Korg Triton 61 : Emu ESI-32 : Alesis Multimix firewire 12 : Nord Lead 2x : Akai Ax80

http://weaeroplanes.blogspot.com

Italo_DX

Post by Italo_DX » Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:58 pm

I've decided to put off buying a third synth for a while; I don't even have an old PC to run Anvil Studio for sequencing! I'm pretty sure I can get the sounds I want out of a DX21 and JX-3P.
Yamaha SY77
Casio CZ-3000
Casio SA-5
BOSS DR-220E
Previously owned: Yamaha DX21, Roland JX-3P, Ensoniq SQ-80, Roland D-50