I bought a Triton!

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
The Cancer Years

I bought a Triton!

Post by The Cancer Years » Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:38 am

This is the first like...NICE keyboard I have purchased. The classic studio 61 key. So far I have had it for two hours and all i can think is goddamn.

So any tips and or tricks for these I should know about?
Ensoniq esq1 x2 : Korg sg-1 : Korg Triton 61 : Emu ESI-32 : Alesis Multimix firewire 12 : Nord Lead 2x : Akai Ax80

http://weaeroplanes.blogspot.com

Ezzo

Post by Ezzo » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:29 am

I've heard there good, congrats!
Octave Cat SRM
Korg Polysix
Boss DR 770
Line 6 POD XT
Tascam DP01

Synthaholic
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Motif XS6, TX802, D-550, A6

Post by Synthaholic » Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:59 pm

Congrats on your purchase.

Play with the resonant filters. Judging from the gear list in your sig, you may not have had the pleasure of real resonant filter sweeps yet.

Other than that, just experiment, read the manual, see what the beast can do, and then go make some music/program some new sounds on it.
Two VCO: thanks to the push rods, one can choose several forms of waves at the same time!
(from a Babelfish translation of a Jupiter-6 site)

Yamaha: Motif XS6, TX802 Roland: D-550 Alesis: A6 Andromeda

Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Hugo76 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:07 pm

It's a great machine that excels in programming pads/soundscapes imo.
Congratulations! :)

btw: check to see if it has the latest OS.

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt,Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom,NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080,MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex,Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Re: I bought a Triton!

Post by crystalmsc » Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:59 pm

The Cancer Years wrote:NICE keyboard
sure it is, the Studio is one of the best looking keyboard to me with nice action keyboard. I would suggest to add the MOSS board, since they're cheap and very good, by quality or as an additional synthesis resource. The big touch screen is going to make editing the MOSS board much easier. Also check out the Karma Triton software, it will turn it into a Karma capable synth.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

The Cancer Years

Post by The Cancer Years » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:15 pm

I have wanted to get a nice all around board for a while, and the m1 is a great board but it never really covered all the basses(ha!) I wanted.

I played with it for a good three hours last night, anddownloading the manual to read at work today.

I have no idea what I ever did without a ribbon controller.

It doesn't have the latest OS, can you update that via midi or do you have to use disks?[/list]
Ensoniq esq1 x2 : Korg sg-1 : Korg Triton 61 : Emu ESI-32 : Alesis Multimix firewire 12 : Nord Lead 2x : Akai Ax80

paugui

Post by paugui » Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:15 am

I have a Triton Pro and like it a lot too, it's a really nice machine.

As I remember I did the OS update using disks.
But I have no idea if you can make it via MIDI...

If you want new patches you can find some cool ones on this website:

http://www.korgforums.com/?show=1

You can also expand your Triton.

The EXB-PCM boards are also nice, I have 4 of them and the EXB-PCM1 has quite cool pianos, and the EXB-PCM5 has some nice synth sounds with it. EXB-PCM2 is nice too, EXB-PCM3 is just grooves (not that usefull to me, unfortunately...)

I never tried the EXB-MOSS, unfortunately...

Hope this helps...

elsongs

Post by elsongs » Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:22 am

My condolences.

Mr. Black

Post by Mr. Black » Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:40 am

Moss board's are getting quite pricey these day's, sometime's selling over $400.00 on ebay,I used to own the Trinity V3 which I felt had better sound quality than triton series, I was never crazy about Moss analog emulation, but you could get some very creative sounds by combing it's PM (physical Modelling) and such, Moss filters sound a lot better than Triton's.

The Cancer Years

Post by The Cancer Years » Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:15 am

Upon further investigation it came with the pianos board installed.

I woudl like to hear the moss board before I jump that far into it. I want to know I will use it before I spend the money on it.

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt,Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom,NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080,MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex,Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Post by crystalmsc » Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:41 am

you can find some demos and useful info here. just the right topic for the question. It's not really analog sounding, but it has a Digital VA character that I like. Also, it is a very powerful and flexible card. I mostly using it layered with the rompler part to make some nice hybrid sounds.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

westforwishing9

Post by westforwishing9 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:56 am

elsongs wrote:My condolences.
If you don't have something to contribute don't post. Just because you don't like something does not mean that it is not a good unit. Maybe its a perfect addition to his studio. I have one and I love it. I can't imagine not having my triton extreme or something comparable.

Analog Freak

Post by Analog Freak » Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:26 am

Personally, my taste for this sort of instrument runs towards Kurzweil flavors, but I do enjoy the occasional Korg. As much as people roast these things, they really do have a lot of synthesis and sequencing power, if you're willing to explore a bit. Like everything else, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. In your case, I hope you like what you see. Personally, I don't see much point in buying a MOSS expansion, because you already have an Ensoniq ESQ-1, which is probably one of the most flexible and powerful hybrid synthesizers in existence. If you want to mix an analog sound with physical modeling, just use a MIDI cable and a small mixer. Of course, I'm pretty biased against all in-one boxes, so don't listen to me. :D
"All Your Synthesizers Are Belong To Us!" Literally.

ipassenger

Post by ipassenger » Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:49 am

congrats.. i am a hugs synth fan so really shouldn't like S+S machines like the Triton... and in the most part am not a fan, but i used to borrow a Trinity of a friend years ago... and it was so much fun to use and you could get musical ideas off the ground so quickly, what with all those stocks sounds, which of course you could get inside of and a re-mash for some extra complexity...

So have fun with yr new machine... i certainly would like to add one to my set-up as i am now completely devoid of bread and butter sounds..which is good but sometimes you actually want a nice piano patch or a cool horn section.

sonny1
Gear: Lots of Gear. I don't know. Gear is only about 1/4 of the equasion anyway. 1/4 is who you play with and 1/2 is what you dowith the gear you have.
Band: Press Two for Panic!!!

Post by sonny1 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:49 pm

I've owned one since 2001 and I like it alot. The resonant filters are cool and the waveforms you can change for each sound as well.

All in one synths are only as cool as you make them, because of the power to crunch up sounds.

IMO the triton interface onboard is the easiest to navigate. You have to menu dive, but with that touchscreen it's a bunches easier than tab buttons.

The sequencer is great, as well as the arpeggiator. I use the arp more and more now. You can build your own arp sequences.

I've had the roland JV 1000 workstation and the Kutz K2500 and I'll go to the triton much more than either of those. (although I play those a lot too)

I don't care what type of board you have you have to pull stuff out of it, the presets are there to show off what the synth can do, the rest will be up to you. I think you'll find the triton to be well worth what you get out of it.

I've done entire songs using the Triton, I'll up load one onto my myspace and you can check it out if you'd like. Give me an hour or so...

http://www.myspace.com/sonnywithasynth
Korg Triton (2001), Ensoniq esq-1, Casiotone 401, Suzuki Omnichord version 200 (electric autoharp). E-MU Ultra Proteus, Ensoniq QS-R. Yamaha RX-8. Yamaha QX-21,Yamaha AN1x