Korg Micro Preset

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
immigrantboy

Korg Micro Preset

Post by immigrantboy » Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:14 pm

I just bought a Korg Micro Preset (or M500, for you model number mongers). I figure an analog mono from the late 70's for $120 is a pretty good deal.

Anybody ever use on? What are your thoughts on it?
Main Gear: Korg M500, Casio CZ-101, Yamaha PSS-480, sitar, cassette tapes
Toys: Casio PT-87, Casio SA-40 "Magical Dial", Casio Rapman, "The Crappy Keyboard"

smallsynth
Gear: jp03, dx21, bass station, k-station, gnat, buzz, cs01-mkii, eml-101, eh-401
Band: resterisk

Post by smallsynth » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:34 pm

ha! i was watching this on ebay. i only forgot to bid when i was typing a message to someone. i think that's a pretty decent price -- let us know if you agree once you get your hands on it. looks great.

-geoffrey smallsynth

OMNI26

Post by OMNI26 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:12 am

I owned a MicroPreset for awhile. They are cool little synths, and rather unique. Very simple, but then again I love simple one-oscillator synths, including preset synths like this one.

Anyway, I always heard that they used the same filter as the Korg MS-10.....and actually, it really DID sound very similar to my friend's MS-10, so I would believe that. It definitely has that grainy Korg MS-series sound.

When I first picked mine up (bought it at a pawnshop, but it was in mint shape) I didn't realize that you could "mix" two of the presets at one time by just pushing down two of the preset buttons. This basically doubles your available sounds.

Supposedly the MicroPreset was used by OMD on "Enola Gay", etc. I also remember reading an interview with Brian Eno, and he stated that he used one. That alone ramps up the coolness factor of that synth! :)

I think that in today's synth marketplace, they are definitely worth what you paid for it.

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:51 am

The micro-preset is the source for the (multi-tracked) "string" sounds and melodies on OMD's first couple of albums.
"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979

immigrantboy

Post by immigrantboy » Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:39 am

Is using two presets simultaneously normal, or potentially harmful for this synth? Just curious, sounds cool. I found a ton of demoes. Sounds kinda square, but the filter sounds sweet and the 32' bassy sounds are pretty fat.

I finally have an analog! And a synth without speakers in the corners no less *glares at Yamaha PSS-480*
Toys: Casio PT-87, Casio SA-40 "Magical Dial", Casio Rapman, "The Crappy Keyboard"

Blue Monster 65
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Blue Monster 65 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:49 am

Yeah, you'll be fine doing that. Very cool that you got one! I miss mine, though I doubt I'd ever get another. Loads of fun to muck with - run it through effects (delay/flange) and you'll open up a whole world of wrong.

Now get yourself a DR-110 and you'll be in business.

Woof! - Scott
Muhahahahahahahahaha!

bigbadbarns

Post by bigbadbarns » Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:00 pm

yeah dude- i bought one for my friend's 21st and pimped the s**t out of it (it was really beaten up when i got it)- run it through some mutli-effects (I used a Zoom G7)- hectic.

Analogue Crazy
Gear: Alesis Andromeda
Korg MS20 Mini
Korg Micro Preset
Korg DS-8
Yamaha Motif 7
Yamaha DX11

Post by Analogue Crazy » Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:37 pm

The Micro Preset is my favorite preset synth. It has the lovely early Korg sound and its capable of some amazing sounds. It may not look it but its actually quiet fexible. Even its most annoying limitation, the travler only effecting Synthe and Brass presets is usefull. I love those sounds where you have got 2 presets mixed and only one is being tweaked by the the filter. What a lovely little synth.

The Micro Preset is responsable for my all-time favorite synth lead, the sound off 'Almost' by OMD. That is one of the songs that got me into analogue synths. According to the DM 'Stripped' biography, its also the sound that inspired Vince Clarke to start playing synths.
A6 Andromeda, MS20 Mini, M500SP, DS-8, Motif 7, DX11,

smallsynth
Gear: jp03, dx21, bass station, k-station, gnat, buzz, cs01-mkii, eml-101, eh-401
Band: resterisk

Post by smallsynth » Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:17 pm

well congratulations! the more posts that appear, the more i'm regretting missing this one... but i did finally get a univox k-2, which is a pretty killer synth.

immigrantboy

Post by immigrantboy » Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:49 am

I envy you smallsynth :.; I wanna Univox

I'll consider you or Blue first for sale or tradsies if I'm impartial (fat chance I will be, but I figured I'd throw the potential offer out there anyway)

Here's the demoes I found:
http://www.synthmania.com/micro-preset.htm
http://www.cykong.com/Synths/Korg%20M-5 ... M500SP.htm

http://synthmania.com/Video%20Files/Syn ... -preset.rm (RealPlayer vid download)

Blue Monster 65
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Blue Monster 65 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:55 am

True, lots of people don't like it, but then again, some people don't like ice cream, either.

To me, part of its appeal is the limited amount of sounds on board - made me concentrate on what I was playing/doing, instead of programming yet another sound.

Woof! - Scott
Muhahahahahahahahaha!

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt,Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom,NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080,MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex,Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Post by crystalmsc » Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:35 pm

that's one neat little synth, I really like the overall design of it appearance. congrats to have such an adorable antique :)
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: A hybrid of vintage and modern junk
Band: Variar

Post by Jabberwalky » Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:37 pm

It sounds a lot like the Minikorg so I'd dig using one. Seems like it has modulation of the filter as well, which is a nice touch.
godmcgarvey wrote:Nope, it's still c**p.

Blue Monster 65
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Blue Monster 65 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:50 pm

That's about right, Mcgarvey. Of course, I could say the same sorts of things about the DW8000, no?

I remember the DW series (6000 + 8000) when they came out and can tell you I thought, "What the f**k are Korg thinking with this s**t? This is worse than the Poly 800 or the Poly 61!"

Just goes to show what some people like and others don't.

The MicroPreset seems to have hit a nerve with you - why?

Woof! - Scott
Muhahahahahahahahaha!

immigrantboy

Post by immigrantboy » Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:07 am

I think I'm interested in it because of its limitations. Its got the very basics and that's that. No need to tweakerbate all over EVERYTHING!

It should arrive later next week. The seller said they'd ship it on monday. I'll give you my own thoughts when I can, but the demoes sound good, just that synthe anologue fuzz that my sound needs.

Plus it has knobs. My biggest problem with the PSS-480 is having to dial everything in with the tiny buttons and dealing with presets (should've got the 480, 680, etc...). Dials seem more... intuitive.

For as little as it costed, I don't think I'll have any complaints.