Making noise, how do you go about making a sound.

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
SteveW

Making noise, how do you go about making a sound.

Post by SteveW » Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:44 pm

Now dont get me wrong I'm not looking for RTFM's. What I mean is when you have an idea for a sound you need, how do you start?
Do you turn off all your effects and slowly tweek until you get there. Do you always start with the same wave form. I was playing around with Elanor (my Ms2000) and thought it would make an interesting discussion.
Last week i started with some of the presets and played with them, and to behonest there a bit shite. Now Im tending to start with a DWGS noise and play from there with filter and cutoff, before tweeking with the attack and sustain etc. Then I get the Kp2 in there and it goes from there.
Im currently working on a Prayer Bowel sound, using the Oscillators and LFOs.

Hoping this starts a nice discussion.

Steve

P.s Anyone had there virus checker go nuts when in the forum?

Box
Gear: Roland JP-8000
Roland JX-3P
Roland JX-8P
1972 Wurlitzer Console Piano
Band: Neo Decorum
Location: Land of oscillators, filters, and other really cool looking stuff.

Post by Box » Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:36 pm

Well at first I'll run through the presets to see if there is anything that sounds close to what's in my mind. If not I'll go through and set everything to zero/off and start from the ground up. Wouldn't it be great if synths could scan your thoughts for the sound you wanted and make it? :P

As far as the other topic goes I've yet to have any kind of "Virus Warning" or scanner go off while browsing the forum. Maybe your security level is set too high?
Help our very own Maschinengeist (Stéphane) by making your next purchase or repair with him! Click the logo for more info!

Jack Spider
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Gear: -
Bit One
Boss DR-220
Boss DR-660
DSI Mono Evolver Keyboard
Korg LP-10
Roland XP-50
Yamaha QX21

Post by Jack Spider » Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:04 pm

Two methods - one, where I have an idea for a sound and try to create it, or by mucking about with my existing patches.

I always create a 'blank' patch with one oscillator (usually a saw), the filter wide open and resonance at zero. No modulations active and the envelopes such that the keys are a on/off switch for the tone.

I'll first adjust the VCA (or equivalent) to shape the sound and then start on the filter. Modulation settings as desired.

After this, I'll bring in the other oscillators and take it from there.

PS. No virus alerts here either.
I didn't get where I am today by posting on internet forums.
http://www.myspace.com/thegreenalsatian
http://www.soundclick.com/greenalsatian

presets
No Longer Registered

Post by presets » Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:30 pm

nord modular using noise osc and lfo's patched in interesting ways

JackAstro

Post by JackAstro » Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:45 pm

I start with one oscillator. Get that set with the PWM or vibrato or FM. Then I add more oscillators as needed. Then I move to the filter, set up an envelope or a fast LFO to mod the cutoff.

...scratch all that, I never get good sounds that way.

What I actually do is come up with some patch idea that i haven't tried before and then tweak it till it sounds nice.

The Cancer Years

Post by The Cancer Years » Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:02 pm

yep get an idea find a patch tweak
Ensoniq esq1 x2 : Korg sg-1 : Korg Triton 61 : Emu ESI-32 : Alesis Multimix firewire 12 : Nord Lead 2x : Akai Ax80

http://weaeroplanes.blogspot.com

Syn303
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Quite a bit...
Band: Syn303

Post by Syn303 » Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:05 pm

I just wipe everything and start from scratch, as all my ideas are in my head on how i want my patches to sound, the last thing i do after i have tweaked the filter and the envelope stages, is the LFO's to give my sounds a bit movement, and a little sprinkle of effects but not to much as that can dull the whole patch, same applies to external effects.
| syn303.bandcamp.com | soundcloud.com/syn303 |

aredj
Gear: A little bit of E-muAccessJomoxKorg -
Spectralis2!

Post by aredj » Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:58 am

I like the 'start from zero' method as well.
Also, I tend to not have a sound in my head first, but just go, and see where I end up...

stephen
Gear: Laptop
House Brick
Renoise
Loomer Aspect
FM8

Post by stephen » Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:59 am

Sometimes I start with a preset then mess with the filter settings - that's usually a good place to begin, and from there I'll bring in other changes too.

On other occasions I'll start from scratch - it usually begins with "I wonder what would happen if..." - The trick is to start with waveforms that you know will get you to the type of sound you want.

Aside from that, there's also random knob twiddling which is fun to do, and happy accidents might come around. I find the microkorg is good for this kind of treatment, especially with the DWGS and vox waveforms.

Try setting up a loop and change the DWGS as it plays. I have to do it manually on the mK, but I believe you can use the mod sequencer on the MS2000 to do this??? Crank up the filter resonance too, if you want weirdness :) Don't forget to mess with the amp and filter envelopes, they can make a big difference. Another trick I use is to play a sound with the arpeggio running, then mess with decay and release settings for the amp envelope.

As far as the virus checker goes, no I don't have a virus. But I have a nice an1x instead. Sorry Steve, couldn't resist it :twisted:
Stephen(2)

Tyler2000
Gear: HS-60, MG-1, CS-5, ESQ-1, CZ-101, DR-110, MR-10, MDP-40, EA-1, ER-1, ES-1, Trixer, SDS-9, Califorian 365, toys, guitars, ukes, etc.

Post by Tyler2000 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:02 am

It's important to be comfortable with your synths and know how to get the sounds you want relatively fast. I find that I use my HS-60 and MG-1 waaaaaay more than I use my ESQ-1 just because I can make new sounds from sratch much faster on them. I tend to just spend time with my ESQ-1 making different patches I like and saving them. Then I pull them out when I need them.
so what do I put down here now?

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:08 am

Tyler2000 wrote:It's important to be comfortable with your synths and know how to get the sounds you want relatively fast.
Totally, nude programming is the only way to go! ;)

Like others here, I've got an init patch on each of my synths that I use as a starting point when I'm making a patch. Filter open, two sawtooth oscs, envs all set to gate, no modulation.

brian.only
Gear: Mono/Poly, Polysix, Crumar Performer, Juno106, Ion, CS01, K Station, DX27,77' Rhodes 88 mk1

Post by brian.only » Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:31 am

I will start from scratch if I have a particular sound in mind.

Otherwise I will go through my patches and tweak it a bit. With my polys that have memory I will sometimes press the manual button to see if there is anything interesting going on.
sell me your KS5!

tom Cadillac
Gear: FS1R, EPS, JP8000, Kaos pad, Ineko, SP606, Mopho, MP7 and so on....
Band: Bipolarbass

Post by tom Cadillac » Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:01 am

Having lots of nice toys to play with is nice. As far as prayer bells go - I'd probably reach for the little zoom mrt ? drum machine (sorry at work so can't access the exact names of kit.) Anyway its the current cheapo one and has lovely tunable bell sounds. I'v made whole drum kits with different bell sounds - sort of gameliany too becasuse of the tuning possibilities.

Also sampling bells is good. I'd recommend the Indian Noah bells/cow bells - they are my favourites. then there's the obvious FM option.

Usually I make patches in bulk - just playing arround with a synth for a while and saving when my ears light up. Then I kind of know what's ready to go. Can't do the sound in head to patch thing - just lack of knowledge and experience I guess.

Most of the stuff ! have is quite cheap and primative, so I kind of keep to the easy possibililties of each synth.
"On the following day , the sorcery undespairingly continued: I changed my series, chose other sequences, cut other lengths, spliced different progressions, and hoped afresh for a miracle in sound." (Stockhausen)

tyrannosaurus mark

Post by tyrannosaurus mark » Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:41 am

I do pretty much all my programming on my Moog LP. I usually start with presets and tweak until they sound the way I want them to

I know have a whole memorybank full of sounds I've created that I go to to create a new sound, so I tweak the presets I've created

In the end I end up with sounds that are no-where near the presets which is a nice feeling really :)
Moog LP + Casio SK1 and MT-75 + tube amp = good tone.

Dirk

Post by Dirk » Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:13 am

I start by analizing how the sound in my head is made up.
Is it monosono or unisono, one or more oscillators, polyphonic or monophonic etc...
How does it develope over time. Analize how the attack stage sounds and developes, how does the timbre changes in the attack stage. Then do the same with the other envelope stages.

Doing this gives me a clear idea how to program the sound, and makes programming the sounds I hear in my head relatively eazy.

If you do this often, you can make complex sounds fast. And you don't have to waste time surfing through the often crappy and unusable presets.
All Animals Are Created Equal But Some Are More Equal Than Others.