3 moogerfooger freqboxes in series = MiniMoog

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
rpstro02

3 moogerfooger freqboxes in series = MiniMoog

Post by rpstro02 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:06 am

So if I hook up 3 Moogerfooger freqboxes in series all synced with a moogerfooger LP filer at the end then I get a Moog Voyager or a Minimoog, right? And for way cheaper. What do you guys think about this?

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:24 am

Yes. You are the world's only genius.

realpolitik

Post by realpolitik » Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:27 am

No midi in, it's useless as a musical synth.
Yamaha Motif XS8, Yamaha TX81z, MIDInes

WDW

Post by WDW » Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:28 am

2+2=5

WD

idiotboy

Post by idiotboy » Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:29 am

...I think you're MAD!

MAD I tell you......

....but....it's just crazy enough to work..... :D not really

For a hundred bucks more, you could have a used voyager RME.

I'm guessing most people will tell you it won't really sound like a vintage Mini, but sadly, I have no first hand knowledge of this...sniff....sniff

idiotboy

Post by idiotboy » Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:31 am

PS: I like the way you think, ya cheap bastard!

WDW

Post by WDW » Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:07 am

Have you actually looked at the specs of the Moogerfoogers and the Voyager? How about the controls on their panels?

Just off the top of my head (without actually looking anything up to answer this question), I think that you would be missing the LFO, Modulation Bus, Mixer, part of the Filter section (i.e., spacing and keyboard cont. amount), part of the Filter Envelope and the VCA envelope.

Of course, there is also the assumption that it is the same VCO (inclusive of all of the same wave forms) and same VCF.

I do not mean to be insulting by the following question... How much experience do you have with subtractive synthesis? How about with building synths (inclusive of modulars)? Maybe I am overlooking something about which you know more than I.

WD

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:17 am

Not to mention the Voyager has two filters.

MissionBrown

Post by MissionBrown » Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:27 am

I for one think its a nice idea, but not really a replacement for the Voyager.
As I'm still waiting for my AH shipment which includes just one MF107 I cannot comment, but from the shitty demos I've heard the only semblance of pitch tracking is done by the unit in hard sync modem, where it'll take on the characteristic of the oscillator its synced to, and in the case of sync on my soundlab it sorta sounds like its the same pitch...

JackAstro

Post by JackAstro » Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:56 am

I have a 101 and a 107 in the mail. I will report when the arrive.

rpstro02

Post by rpstro02 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:25 am

I didn't mean this would be EXACTLY like the Voyager or Mini, but similar. Three oscillators, and actually more control over each one than you would get with a Mini (includes frequency modulation). As for the mixer section that is all controlled by the mix knobs on each moogerfooger. Then you add a filter at the end or whatever else you want. Of course you would need a sound source which could have it's own contour controls. So I guess it's kind of like a new Moog modular synth.

WDW

Post by WDW » Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:40 am

Any three OSCs and a filter is "like" a Mini under that definition. An ARP 2600 is "like" a Mini, for example. But it is not a Mini.

Yes, the Moogerfoogers are akin to components in a more traditional modular synthesizer system. But, again, a lot of necessary parts are missing, such as a noise source and (I think but would have to confirm) OSC sync.

Of course, if one were looking at building a modular to be Mini-like, there are modules out there for just that.

WD

MissionBrown

Post by MissionBrown » Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:46 am

If its got 1vOct scaling and CV input(I think it does) you'll be able to use it as module but from my experience with the foogers is that they don't track at 1vOct.

I tried this on the ringmod and low pass filter.

So you're just going to sync to an audio signal. Though an LFO controlled by CV might do the trick.... or even a single oscillator.

Just wish mine was here already.
15 days is too long to wait

REwire

Post by REwire » Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:42 am

I'm using the 107 as an extra Osc for my Modular (Eurorack). It's my fav osc now. No other has CV controlled waveshaping and using the audio input as well makes a nasty sound.
Buchla, Serge & Eurorack Modular; EML101; Minimoog; Synthacon; MS20; Nord2; NordG1; PolyEvoRack; MKS80; MKS50; TB303; Electribe EMX1; JV1080
http://www.REwireMusic.com

kuroichi
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by kuroichi » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:24 am

By the time youve got 3 107's, and something they can hardsynch to (CV sequencers or keybeds), plus a 101 filter, you'll be getting close to the voyager costs anyway. and considering the limitations on the OSC in the 107 it wouldnt be much like a minimoog. It might be capable of something good though, but I imagine it would be very difficult to control.
No midi in, it's useless as a musical synth.
ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
Come on Bennett.... Let's Party!