Good dirty bassy live keyboard

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
cartesia
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Octatrack
Bass Station 2
Band: TBA

Good dirty bassy live keyboard

Post by cartesia » Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:22 am

I want to start playing live Drum&Bass / Breaks / Dirty electro -esque basslines/bassy leadlines.. close enough to that anyway. not exactly that but that should serve as a guide. distorted bass heavy simple stuff.. nothing intricate and complex.

On the one hand I want it to sound very harsh and digital, but on the other hand.. aint no bass like an analogue bass right? :P

I want to be able to mess with most parameters live, and in a fast way.. so the more direct control the better. menus are worthless to me except for pre-programmed stuff.

Also the plan is to strap it over neck and wear it around, so keeping it smaller & lighter would be preferable... no 88key monsters... in fact 25 keys would probably even be enough. (not keen on mini keys though.. fat fingers and such)

Midi controllers I'm not interested in.. all the connections between cc's to software out to a rack etc is too much for me to be bothered contemplating and tbh i dont put alot of trust in such things.

My first thoughts are bass station keyboard, with some effects pedals... although its a little more low-tech than I'd like in terms of memory storage etc.

thoughts? other ideas?

I think my back could probably handle 49 keys... I'm a big fellow so it wouldnt be too awkward. would definitely have to be on the lighter side as far as 49key synths go though. Unfortunately there seem to be basically zero 37 key synths that fit what i want?

pricerange I dont really want to go over US$1000, and preferably less than US$700. dont need multitimbrality or polyphony. need reliability & control.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:55 am

I have a few thoughts on this.

Poly-800 + guitar pedals. The Poly is cheap so you can afford some awesome pedals for it. It has straplocks, is pretty light and can run on batteries. It just has one filter for all 8 voices so it behaves nicely with distortion. Can sound pretty beefy. The Mk II has delay built in. (I haven't used the Mk II though so don't know if it's any good.)

Evolver Keyboard. The king of harsh and digital, also does analogue. Not the best analogue basses, but it can do basses in its own way. A bit heavier than the Poly, but has wooden endcheeks you could screw straplocks into. Costs more and needs external power but has distortion and delay built in. Looks cool.

cartesia
Expert Member
Expert Member
Bass Station 2

Post by cartesia » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:13 am

^ oh hey I'd completely forgotten about the evolver keyboard... thats a great idea!

I used to have a desktop but hated the matrix interface... the only thing id worry about is if they used the same endless encoders on the kb... they seemed to me a little flimsy compared to potentiometers.. and if im balancing the thing on my knee/hanging off my shoulders, playing it furiously with one hand, its gonna need to take a bit of a beating!

I'll have a look into the poly-800, im not familiar with it.

th0mas
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: oakley tm3030/mopho keys/midibox sid/tr-707/tama techstars/monotron
Band: GRAVITRONIC

Post by th0mas » Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:51 pm

I own a bass station keyboard.

I wouldn't suggest you strap it on and play stuff live.. its build quality is not up to snuff to be tossed around like that. the line out seems a bit fragile and I would suspect begin to short after awhile.

Personally for this I would use a micron. But you don't want menus.. so that probably wouldn't work out. But if you ever get a chance to demo one, for the sounds you're looking for, find a decent clean preset patch, then use the menu to re-map your knobs to be filter cutoff, resonance, and 'effect amount'. And change the effect to be distortion, naturally :).

The dumbest thing alesis did with the micron was the preset controller mappings.. they are so useless.

MicroFi

Post by MicroFi » Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:54 pm

The Teisco 110F can sound very harsh and dirty.
The 60F is smaller/cheaper, but misses some of the 110F's features.

I'm not too sure about the 'digital' part tho :D
Both of them should fit your budget.

cartesia
Expert Member
Expert Member
Bass Station 2

Post by cartesia » Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:01 pm

^I'll look into the telsco's.. never heard of them

The micron's actually not a half bad idea! those strange side-ways sliders on the top left would be perfect for playing with my left hand while I did keys with the right... :) Last time i played with one in the shop i thought the keys were very soft and wobbly but im sure I could get by...

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt,Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom,NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080,MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex,Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Re: Good dirty bassy live keyboard

Post by crystalmsc » Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:16 am

the Xio synth supposed to be ideal for this. It's lite and small, battery powered, got nice distortion and x-y pad. I also like it's tone for some distorted bass sounds. Plus it's dirty cheap to buy another if broken :wink:
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

pix

Post by pix » Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:16 am

little phatty + evolver desktop

feed the evolver into the LP's filter and trigger the evo with LP's midi.

edit: just saw your budget. start with the fatty and add the evo later on.

cartesia
Expert Member
Expert Member
Bass Station 2

Re: Good dirty bassy live keyboard

Post by cartesia » Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:08 am

crystalmsc wrote:the Xio synth supposed to be ideal for this. It's lite and small, battery powered, got nice distortion and x-y pad. I also like it's tone for some distorted bass sounds. Plus it's dirty cheap to buy another if broken :wink:
The thing I dont like about the xiosynth is it has very tall thin knobs, which look uber-breakable

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:15 pm

Roland SH-101 and a Frostwave Sonic Decimator or the MEK.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad