Keytars

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Shleed
Gear: Doepfer A100
MFB Synth II
Waldorf Blofeld
Korg MS20 Mini
Ensoniq EPS-16+
TT303
TX81Z
Band: Shledge

Post by Shleed » Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:49 am

People even started to compare the two, eventhough there are no real similarities.
...say that to gearwire. ;)

ReaPeR
Gear: Fusion 6HD
Waldorf Q Rack
DSI Evolver Desktop
Roland VK-8m

and other various FX/softhings

Post by ReaPeR » Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:24 pm

gurutzeta wrote:
ReaPeR wrote:i use only AX-7 as my main controller XD
The AX-7 rules... unfortunately it is out of production now (I believe)
yes it's out of production... i bought it used in a store as soon as they discontinued it so i got it almost new (it was a demo) for 400eur but now i thinki it's a better choice made something homemade... maybe using doepfer spare parts or modifying some cheap keyboard...

gurutzeta

Post by gurutzeta » Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:31 pm

ReaPeR wrote:yes it's out of production... i bought it used in a store as soon as they discontinued it so i got it almost new (it was a demo) for 400eur but now i thinki it's a better choice made something homemade... maybe using doepfer spare parts or modifying some cheap keyboard...
I have been considering a DIY keytar for some time, but I can not see it... I think that I will never get anything cool enough and, lets face it, keytars are mostly about "coolness" :lol: rather than anything else.

Synthprophet

Post by Synthprophet » Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:54 pm

If you are a good woodshaper (sorry for the bad use of words) you can probably make something nicelooking, but yes if it fails it's definitely not cool. One of the cool features I like about keyars is the ribbon for pitch, so that quite spoils the idea of using a cheap MIDI keyboard.
Otherwise it must be in the Lync style with wheels.
Nomatter if you are building a homemade keytar, it will probably never be more ugly than Jordan Rudess' Zen Riffer thing.
Clavia: /Nord Lead 2x/
Roland: /AX-Synth/D-50/SH-201/
Korg: /EMX-1/Microkorg/Monotron/MS-20 Mini

gurutzeta

Post by gurutzeta » Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:40 pm

Synthprophet wrote:If you are a good woodshaper (sorry for the bad use of words) you can probably make something nicelooking, but yes if it fails it's definitely not cool. One of the cool features I like about keyars is the ribbon for pitch, so that quite spoils the idea of using a cheap MIDI keyboard.
Otherwise it must be in the Lync style with wheels.
Nomatter if you are building a homemade keytar, it will probably never be more ugly than Jordan Rudess' Zen Riffer thing.
The wheels in the Lync seemed quite usable for me. I do not normally use the wheels in my midi controller (not sure why) but with the lync I was feeling the need of using them more often... kind of like the string bendings in the guitar... I guess it was because of the similarity with the guitar

And yes, I agree about the Zen Riffer... horrible...

Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: 18u Eurorack, Octatrack, Pro2
Band: BLUSH_RESPONSE

Post by Joey » Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:59 pm

the only good thing the zen riffer has going for it is that it looks like some kind of weapon.

If it had actual serrated or axe like blades on it, you bet i'd use one.
No one cares, no one sympathizes,
so you just stay home and play synthesizers.

http://wearereplicants.com