The Microkorg

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
thestreets
Gear: Maschine Mikro, Electribe ESX, KP3, Korg R3, Microkorg.

The Microkorg

Post by thestreets » Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:10 pm

It is unbelievable how ubiquitous the microkorg has become. I was browsing myspace the other day, and i came across several post hardcore/punk esque bands. Their line-up would look something like:
Bob-Guitar
John-Drums
Joe-Bass
Larry-Synth

Now i see that and say to myself, "100 bucks says he uses a microkorg". Sure enough, after browsing their pictures, his live setup consists of the microkorg on a huge a*s synth stand (which i must say is the stupidest looking thing ever).

The microkorg presets have become so played out, that I can't even use them anymore. If your gonna use the thing, learn how to work it, don't just use the presets, it becomes rather trite in my opinion.

Am I the only one who feels like this? (I think it only applies to the mk).

Synthaholic
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Motif XS6, TX802, D-550, A6

Post by Synthaholic » Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:28 pm

Most of the MK's presets are tacky. The real power in the MK is unlocked when you program your own sounds. That said, I think I've overwritten at least half of the presets in mine so far.

But then people have been using presets ever since the Prophet 5 came out. Synth programmers are a somewhat rare breed these days, especially those who both play and program.
Two VCO: thanks to the push rods, one can choose several forms of waves at the same time!
(from a Babelfish translation of a Jupiter-6 site)

Yamaha: Motif XS6, TX802 Roland: D-550 Alesis: A6 Andromeda

Tyler2000
Gear: HS-60, MG-1, CS-5, ESQ-1, CZ-101, DR-110, MR-10, MDP-40, EA-1, ER-1, ES-1, Trixer, SDS-9, Califorian 365, toys, guitars, ukes, etc.

Post by Tyler2000 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:10 pm

I used to really hate the microkorg for just that reason. Now i want one, but I almost want to wipe the memory before I even hook it to an amp, to avoid those presets.
so what do I put down here now?

esqoner

Post by esqoner » Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:10 pm

what is this programming you speak of???

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:20 pm

leave the 'tape choir' preset (either b.58 or a.58). its f**k sweet.
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

wahit

Post by wahit » Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:28 pm

I never had a MK, yet the thing that I like in synths it's the programming. Even though I'm not a hardcore synth-maniac like most of you, because I'm pretty newbie regarding synths, the thing I like the most is to spend 1, 2 or 3 hours tweaking and mixing knobs in order to get THAT sound. Even if it only last 1 or 2 seconds :lol:
Oooohhh.... buttons!

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Post by OriginalJambo » Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:46 am

Gotta say as over used as the presets on the mK may be, a lot of them are actually decent. Certainly has better presets than the ION or X-Station IMO.

ramos

Post by ramos » Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:02 am

IMO you have to be pretty experienced with synths to get good sounds out of it. Sounds cheesey at first, but I've seen producers like Legowelt make some awesome sounds out of them.

Thefumigator
Band: thefumigator

Post by Thefumigator » Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:25 am

The first and last time I "did" a sound, I was randomly tweaking an exisiting FM7 preset and I ended up with such a surprise that I included it in my video.
watch my first youtube video :D
-We're gonna die, you know.
-Maybe. But if we die, we're gonna die walking.

thestreets

Post by thestreets » Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:31 am

Oh, alot of them are really good i think. The tape choir is really good among others. I have no problem with using presets, EXCEPT on the mk. Mostly the leads. As soon as i hear an mk preset, it just feels weird.

tyrannosaurus mark

Post by tyrannosaurus mark » Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:45 am

Even out here in NZ most bands that have a keyboard have a microkorg

(or a nord of some description0
Moog LP + Casio SK1 and MT-75 + tube amp = good tone.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:58 am

I think it's good.

There are also a lot of bands out there that use Squire Stratocasters or Epiphone LPs, you don't see people giving them s**t for it. Everyone's gotta start somewhere, and I think Korg have done a really great thing by putting out a synth that's small, cheap and sounds good. It's not even that limited really, it has an audio in so you can do some crazy stuff with it.

The people who are using presets now might end up getting sick of it and program in their own patches later, but you can't expect someone to buy their first synth and then all of a sudden be an expert at programming it.

More power to the MicroKorg!

PS I hate the Killers.

xibalba

Post by xibalba » Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:21 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:I think it's good.

There are also a lot of bands out there that use Squire Stratocasters or Epiphone LPs, you don't see people giving them s**t for it. Everyone's gotta start somewhere, and I think Korg have done a really great thing by putting out a synth that's small, cheap and sounds good. It's not even that limited really, it has an audio in so you can do some crazy stuff with it.

The people who are using presets now might end up getting sick of it and program in their own patches later, but you can't expect someone to buy their first synth and then all of a sudden be an expert at programming it.

More power to the MicroKorg!

PS I hate the Killers.

nuff said!

thestreets

Post by thestreets » Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:29 am

Yeah i know, it just bugs me that these people have a whole sound engine to explore, with virtually endless possibilities, and yet they just say "oh i like this preset". And i've just heard each sound used so much (ie. "Somebody Told Me") that I can't even focus on whats being played.

Now there is one song that uses an MK preset thats cool. The beginning of Knowitall by phantom planet (on of my all time favorite songs) has the tape choir deep deep deep in the background.

It was just weird to turn on the radio and hear "Rushin Rushin around...microkorg solo!!!" (Somebody Told Me). I hate the killers too.

It really got to to point where i came across soooo many bands with the mk situation that it bugged me. If you really want to be a synth player, expand a bit.

The Cancer Years

Post by The Cancer Years » Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:33 am

I haven't been in the game as long as you have but damn near every patch on every song I have done has been tweaked by me, in some way. Even in post I'll still be tweaking things.

the only thing I don't really is drums...Cause well they are drums and that's how they sound.

I refuse to ever buy a microkorg.
Ensoniq esq1 x2 : Korg sg-1 : Korg Triton 61 : Emu ESI-32 : Alesis Multimix firewire 12 : Nord Lead 2x : Akai Ax80

http://weaeroplanes.blogspot.com