The Microkorg

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
User avatar
Johnny Lenin
Expert Member
Expert Member
Posts: 1054
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:56 pm
Gear: JX8P | AX60 | Little Phatty Stage II | DW8000 | Vox Jag | Fantom X6 | Juno-G | P-Bass | AS-120 | Double Jet

Post by Johnny Lenin » Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:16 am

Box wrote:China is just synonymous with cheap junk.China.
Let's see... China has a space program, builds advanced jet fighters, owns IBM's PC division and has one of the most advanced telecommunications infrastructures in the world. I'm sure they can find at least a few people out of one billion citizens who can build synthesizers.

User avatar
wahit
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 59
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:21 pm
Location: Portugal

Post by wahit » Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:29 am

Returning to the Microkorg. You bastards made me think twice!

I mean... i sold my Moog LP because I felt it was a bit limited soundwise. I mean, not really limited because the synth was amazing, but I'm looking for a synth more experimental-ambience based.

My next choices would be or the Evolver or the Blofeld. Since the Blofeld is coming out in 2025, my choice was the Evolver desktop + Korg Microkontrol (I want a synth that occupies very little space!).


But with all this MicroKorg talk around here, do you think it would be a good choice for me? I know the MK and the Evolver are completely different worlds, but what do you say? That MK Black Edition sure looks sweet :lol: :lol: :lol:


Cheers!



Image
Oooohhh.... buttons!

User avatar
synapsecollapse
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 491
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2006 9:43 am
Gear: MS20 Mini, Eurorack stuffs, Elektron Machinedrum, Venom, iPad mini, DX7
Location: austin, texas
Contact:

Post by synapsecollapse » Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:35 am

i say you should buy something that makes noise and use it. the microkorg is good. also 2501 is good.

User avatar
Box
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 772
Joined: Wed May 02, 2007 1:07 pm
Gear: Roland JP-8000
Roland JX-3P
Roland JX-8P
1972 Wurlitzer Console Piano
Band: Neo Decorum
Location: Land of oscillators, filters, and other really cool looking stuff.

Post by Box » Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:50 am

wahit wrote:Returning to the Microkorg. You bastards made me think twice!

I mean... i sold my Moog LP because I felt it was a bit limited soundwise. I mean, not really limited because the synth was amazing, but I'm looking for a synth more experimental-ambience based.

My next choices would be or the Evolver or the Blofeld. Since the Blofeld is coming out in 2025, my choice was the Evolver desktop + Korg Microkontrol (I want a synth that occupies very little space!).


But with all this MicroKorg talk around here, do you think it would be a good choice for me? I know the MK and the Evolver are completely different worlds, but what do you say? That MK Black Edition sure looks sweet :lol: :lol: :lol:


Cheers!



Image
The new black edition looks sweet I have to say. I'm a sucker for inverted keys. :P
Image
Help our very own Maschinengeist (Stéphane) by making your next purchase or repair with him! Click the logo for more info!

ned-ryarson
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 899
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:51 am
Location: Dublin, Ireland

Post by ned-ryarson » Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:42 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:
Box wrote:Even their food is bad; it's made from cats and dogs and gives you the shits for a week.
You ignorant little c**t.
genius

User avatar
Logan 5
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Posts: 92
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:57 am
Band: The Metamorph
Location: Harlech,Wales
Contact:

Post by Logan 5 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:15 pm

I bought my reverse-keys edition of the MK for £249 from Turnkey,London 2 weeks ago over the internet.It arrived the next day and I am really happy with it.
It actually sounds way better than I was expecting once you start dabbling with the thing.Its very easy to program and looks a treat.Obviously the smaller keys take a bit of getting used to,but they just remind me dreamily of my old Casio PT-80 from 24 years ago..
Image
FUSION 6HD,MICROKORG,CS2X,EM-1,VOLCA,JV1000,CIRCUIT,SH32,HT700,MMT-8,SU10,VSS30,,RT323,SYNSONICS DRUMS
NO COMPUTER!

https://twitter.com/TheMetamorphUK
https://themetamorph.bandcamp.com/

User avatar
wahit
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 59
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:21 pm
Location: Portugal

Post by wahit » Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:11 pm

That keyboard sure looks sweet, but it's 60 euros more than the 'standard white' version. Does it worth it? :lol:
Oooohhh.... buttons!

User avatar
nuketifromorbit
Expert Member
Expert Member
Posts: 1346
Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:07 am

Post by nuketifromorbit » Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:20 pm

Honestly I think the mk's feel a bit more solid than the ms2000s, I should know considering I've owned two of both. The knobs of the ms2000's seem kind of flimsy, despite the fact that they are a bit more, hmm accurate than the mks's knobs?

Anyway, frankly I couldn't really tell much a difference between the two in terms of build quality, despite one being made in Japan and the other in china. However, I will say that I tend to be wary of Chinese manufactured goods largely due to bad experiences I've had with cheap electronics in the past. The Japanese are known for precision high quality electronics and machinery, whether this is true all the time I don't know, but they did get famous back in the day for producing things like camera's and watches which beat out the Germans and Swiss in terms of quality and price. I'm not saying everything made in China sucks and is the product of near slave labor, but they don't necessarily have the bests track record when it comes to showing western inspectors unflattering things about their working conditions.

Its also important to take into account that American synth companies like Moog and DSI probably have to produce extremely durable and long lasting items, in addition to having excellent quality control and costumer service, just to remain competitive in the global economy. I wonder if this would be the case if they didn't have to worry about the quantity of cheap fairly well made items coming over from China? Of course some American companies aren't that great, for instance I keep reading horror stories about high dollar Gibson guitars.

User avatar
wahit
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 59
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:21 pm
Location: Portugal

Post by wahit » Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:35 pm

Well... thanks to this thread I've just ordered my very own MK Black Edition. Hope to have it next week. Can't wait :)
Oooohhh.... buttons!

User avatar
michael stein
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 222
Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2007 1:30 am
Band: S U R V I V E
Location: Austin, Texas
Contact:

Post by michael stein » Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:05 pm

Just my opinion but, that inverted keys edition should also be black or white where it is still tan. I heard the ms2000 has a 32 band vocoder while the MK only a 16 band. 16 bands works fine for the hard to understand 70 vocoder effects. And as mentioned no sequencer but the arpeggiator is cool (one thing I have not taken the time to learn to reprogram). I think it should come with optional guitar strap hooks on the side even tho I would never play a show with my synth like that but it would be fun to use the vocoder as a singer like that then fling it behind your back like a guitar when not in use.

User avatar
seamonkey
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 959
Joined: Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:09 pm
Real name: Rick
Location: Sunny Florida

Post by seamonkey » Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:25 pm

Many name brand manufacturers such as Sony, Samsung, Roland, Korg etc who have products Made in China have them assembled there. If you buy a Sony Tv it's made in China BUT the parts that are used to assemble them are either shipped there or manufactured to their strict standards and Quality Control.
If something you purchase seems to have a cheaper feel to it or the plastic casing feels cheap it is that way because the Companies such as Sony, Roland etc have chosen less expensive parts to maintain their profit share, it is THEIR choice, not the Chinese who assemble it.

Now, there is a second side to this argument and that is the purchase of items which are not Name brands whose products can be cheap and flimsy because the companies which want to import them don't care and will cut corners in order to make lots of money on people who think $250 is a great deal on a No name flatscreen TV that may on the surface look good but most likely will break down.

We have stores here in America called Dollar Stores, chances are 99.9% of their products come from China, made by companies who are not interested in quality or safety but selling bulk to greedy American importers who are only interested in a fast buck.

So in closing if your MicroKorg or any other synth product seems cheap or flimsy it's because the Korg engineers and bean counters decided that was the way they were going to make them..

Btw, I think looking at the black keys for a prolonged period would make my eyes go cross-eyed after awhile. :lol:
Enjoy your black edition wahit.:)
Moog Voyager Roland D50 Ensoniq VFX-SD, Korg Wavestation Emulator II, Emax SE Plus, Korg King Korg, Korg Arp Odyssey(Whiteface), Minibrute, Takamine Acoustic Peavey Falcon electric

User avatar
Tyler2000
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 660
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2006 4:31 am
Gear: HS-60, MG-1, CS-5, ESQ-1, CZ-101, DR-110, MR-10, MDP-40, EA-1, ER-1, ES-1, Trixer, SDS-9, Califorian 365, toys, guitars, ukes, etc.
Location: Huntsville, AL

Post by Tyler2000 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:49 pm

Box wrote:Even their food is bad; it's made from cats and dogs and gives you the shits for a week.
wtf.....seriously...WTFFFFFFFF






Oh, and jambo, I fixed your comment for you:
OriginalJambo wrote:food kicks a*s.
so what do I put down here now?

User avatar
meatballfulton
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 6099
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:29 pm
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:03 pm

nuketifromorbit wrote:Of course some American companies aren't that great, for instance I keep reading horror stories about high dollar Gibson guitars.
Gibson QC has been spotty for the last 35 years, it's nothing new.

Now the stratospheric prices, that's new.... :?
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

crufty
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 181
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:01 am

Post by crufty » Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:01 pm

mk is built pretty solidly, keys can be a little wobbly, but what are folks talking about? The thing is a tank.

O/T: all this talk of china, get over yourselves...global trade is what makes the world turn. If you have issues with Q/C then that is the fault of the company not paying for it (typically). It is better for consumers to have inexpensively priced goods, and it is better for developing countries to be suppliers of inexpensively priced goods. It raises the standard of living for everyone. I don't want to delve to much off topic, but I can't let this one go. Some basic econ theory will cover this in a rational fashion...USA folks with serious interest would be wise to take a course at their local community college. Do not forget that at one point 'Made in the USA' was viewed by europe in the same way some folks are viewing 'Made in China' today. I'm not saying its wrong to want to buy only American made goods. Just saying it seems like there isn't a good understanding of the nature of global production/trade--China isn't the source of blame UNLESS the a given Chinese supplier is being deceitful about their QC practices. But a company which doesn't do its own QC is just as much to blame..

User avatar
th0mas
Expert Member
Expert Member
Posts: 1349
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2005 5:27 pm
Gear: oakley tm3030/mopho keys/midibox sid/tr-707/tama techstars/monotron
Band: GRAVITRONIC
Location: Ontario
Contact:

Post by th0mas » Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:07 pm

microkorg question:

when I pull up a patch, I'm in the default 'realtime performance mode'. IE knob 1 is filter cutoff, 2 resonance, 3 etc..

Now lets say I dial one of the matrix selectors. Now I'm in 'voice', or 'mod 1', or whatever.. is there anyway to exit back into 'realtime performance mode' without saving my changes, going to a different patch, and going back to the patch I just edited?

Post Reply