The Microkorg

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Shleed
Gear: Doepfer A100
MFB Synth II
Waldorf Blofeld
Korg MS20 Mini
Ensoniq EPS-16+
TT303
TX81Z
Band: Shledge

Post by Shleed » Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:10 pm

Microkorg sucks. Micron is better.

There, I broke a VSE taboo. :lol:

Jack Spider
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Gear: -
Bit One
Boss DR-220
Boss DR-660
DSI Mono Evolver Keyboard
Korg LP-10
Roland XP-50
Yamaha QX21

Post by Jack Spider » Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:40 pm

Why I oughta!! :x
I didn't get where I am today by posting on internet forums.
http://www.myspace.com/thegreenalsatian
http://www.soundclick.com/greenalsatian

wahit

Post by wahit » Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:28 pm

Just received my MK Black today... it's a cool little gadget. Yet, I think I'm going to take some time to adapt my fingers to that keyboard. But the size and weight of the synth are just perfect for what I wanted! 8)

Anyway, now I have to go download the manual in english. This only came with a german version. Agh!
Oooohhh.... buttons!

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Post by zoomtheline » Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:43 pm

I love my Microkorg! The only problem Is the polyphony, runs out as soon as select layer! ha

Is it just me or is the microkorg one of the most goodlooking synths out there! Imagine a massivekorg....... full size, loads of polyphony, more voices, mod matrix replaced with rows of dials, more routing possibilties, deeper filter section and an effects section.... but exactly the same look.

would be a beast!

stephen
Gear: Laptop
House Brick
Renoise
Loomer Aspect
FM8

Post by stephen » Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:58 pm

zoomtheline wrote:I love my Microkorg! The only problem Is the polyphony, runs out as soon as select layer! ha

Is it just me or is the microkorg one of the most goodlooking synths out there! Imagine a massivekorg....... full size, loads of polyphony, more voices, mod matrix replaced with rows of dials, more routing possibilties, deeper filter section and an effects section.... but exactly the same look.

would be a beast!
Hmmm, fantasy microkorg time eh? Add in the MS2000's mod sequencer, a 40 band vocoder (like the nova's), 16 step arpeggiator, electribe-style tube and a built in kaoss pad.... while we're at it let's double up the DWGS waveforms and put the "feedback trick" into the o/s.

Courier delivered to my door same day delivery by ooh.... Kelly Brook wearing a nurse's uniform :)

Yeah, now that's a microkorg.

Umm back on topic... I do think the microkorg is a cute little synth. A bit like puppy eyes. Awww how sweet!
Stephen(2)

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:31 pm

zoomtheline wrote:magine a massivekorg....... full size, loads of polyphony, more voices, mod matrix replaced with rows of dials, more routing possibilties, deeper filter section and an effects section.... but exactly the same look.
Buy a Radias, some wood for the side panels and some spray paint and you're good to go 8)
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

wahit

Post by wahit » Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:52 am

Hi! I have to quick questions...

I'm now messing around with the presets of the MK, and I'm making some cool changes, but I can't seem to save them. How do I save the presets I've changed?! :oops:

And the final question... what is the best way to connect the MK to a computer (MacOSX) to record tracks to Ableton/Logic?! Should I buy some kind of midi interface?! What?

Thanks a bunch! :)
Oooohhh.... buttons!

Synthaholic
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Motif XS6, TX802, D-550, A6

Post by Synthaholic » Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:32 am

wahit wrote:I'm now messing around with the presets of the MK, and I'm making some cool changes, but I can't seem to save them. How do I save the presets I've changed?! :oops:
Press Write, then (if desired) change to the location you want to save to, then press Write again. If "PRT" shows up on the display when you press Write, hit Shift+8, then use the cutoff knob to set protection to "Off", then try the write again.
And the final question... what is the best way to connect the MK to a computer (MacOSX) to record tracks to Ableton/Logic?! Should I buy some kind of midi interface?! What?
You'll need a USB-MIDI interface. Google around, there's lots of companies that make them.
Two VCO: thanks to the push rods, one can choose several forms of waves at the same time!
(from a Babelfish translation of a Jupiter-6 site)

Yamaha: Motif XS6, TX802 Roland: D-550 Alesis: A6 Andromeda

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt,Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom,NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080,MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex,Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Post by crystalmsc » Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:14 am

stephen wrote:Hmmm, fantasy microkorg time eh? Add in the MS2000's mod sequencer, a 40 band vocoder (like the nova's), 16 step arpeggiator, electribe-style tube and a built in kaoss pad.... while we're at it let's double up the DWGS waveforms and put the "feedback trick" into the o/s.
that would be great, add to that a mono (or stereo perhaps) MS20 filter as an addition to the microkorg filter :)
meatballfulton wrote:Buy a Radias, some wood for the side panels and some spray paint and you're good to go 8)

:lol: just realize about this..I should say that it will works this way..should we do some photoshop work to prove this? :lol:
wahit wrote:Should I buy some kind of midi interface?! What?
yes you should. and you might also want to consider a keyboard controller with a USB midi interface to have a better keyboard instead of the tiny mk's keys. the X-station factory template has a MS2000 presets which supposed to be able to control the MK. with that, you will get a midi interface and a synth style user interface for the MK.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

thestreets
Gear: Maschine Mikro, Electribe ESX, KP3, Korg R3, Microkorg.

Post by thestreets » Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:42 am

Found a few more bands today with a "synth" player (rocking the mk on a huge-a*s stand again).

kogmachine
Gear: Probably way too much gear

Post by kogmachine » Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:11 am

thestreets wrote:Found a few more bands today with a "synth" player (rocking the mk on a huge-a*s stand again).
I used to have my mk on an Ultimate Apex stand but I also had an Ion on the lower tier. It didn't really look that ridiculous. You should post some links to some of these pics if you haven't already. Maybe I can get a chuckle.

I got rid of my mk, but I do miss it. I rewrote most of the presets too, but there were some good ones that I wouldn't touch. There was a great synth string on a68 I think.

This really sucked, but once I made this really cool heavy industrial sounding patch one day. It was a bass arp with a kick and hats all together... "gear!"
I turned off my mk and when I later went back to play it, it's entire memory had been wiped. I tried to reproduce it again but it just wasn't the same. :cry: I'm not much of a sound designer, though I do have my moments, but the mk has potential... some of it's presets included.
Don't be afraid, ever... cause this is just a ride.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:17 am

In five years people will be buying them for the 'classic' factory patches, like you've heard in so many hit songs. :D

kogmachine
Gear: Probably way too much gear

Post by kogmachine » Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:37 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:In five years people will be buying them for the 'classic' factory patches, like you've heard in so many hit songs. :D
Actually I've never recognized any mk patches in hit songs, but then again I rarely listen to the radio or watch tv so....
Don't be afraid, ever... cause this is just a ride.

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Post by zoomtheline » Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:24 pm

ha, Radias looks like a radias whether it painted white blue black etc....
I meant the microkorg looks nice as is! exactly the same (technicalities aside) just massive, like an oberhiem with palm sized buttons and a genre dial the size of a steering wheel!

Bands round here seem to be korg preset crazy too... and all have them on its own on whatever the venue provides as a table.
I would like to see a band come on and the synth player have a magicians table and pull a korg out of a hat!

ronP
Gear: BEHRINGER Xenyx 802; CASIO MT-70; KORG EA-1 mkII, MicroKorg, microSTATION, MicroX, Mini-KP, Monotron; ROLAND Micro Cube; ZOOM FS01, MRS-4B, MRT-3B
Band: Keyfish

Post by ronP » Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:14 pm

I carry my mK around town in its little Gator bag and people sometimes stop and ask me: "That one's a little longer than average. What kind of a laptop is that?" Metrosexuals and hipster chicks especially coo "Oooooh!" when I unzip, show them, and reply: "GEAR!"

:)

The mK is, to me, a keysynth player's laptop. With it and my MRT-3B I can go anywhere, plug into anybody's PA, and join the party. It's great fun, too, to create patches during my day job lunch hour.

:)

BEHRINGER Xenyx 802; CASIO Casiotone MT-70; KORG Electribe EA-1mkII, microKORG, mini-KP; QUIKLOK T20 T-REX Series X;
ROLAND Micro-CUBE; YAMAHA PSS130, PSS140; ZOOM FS-01, MRS-4B, MRT-3B

Wanted: BOSS DR-110; CASIO CZ-101; YAMAHA CS-01, DX-100