Workstation......?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
pottolom

Workstation......?

Post by pottolom » Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:48 pm

Hi,

I make techno/electronica type music, mainly with synths and some samples. Currently I'm using a range of soft synths. In the past I've owned samplers, a Juno 60, Korg Trinity and a couple of other things, all of which I've long since sold.

Basically, I find software and computers uninspiring. I spend all day at a computer in my job and when I get home in the evenings I don't fancy using a computer again. Hence, I'm not making much music!

I'd like to get some hardware again. I had toyed with the idea of investing in a couple of synths, a drum machine, sequencer, etc. However, I really have very little room (my girlfriend and I rent a room in a small flat), it would be rather expensive and also a pain to hook it all up.....

I've therefore been wondering about getting a workstation. Something with a sequencer, sampler and synth all in one unit. I like analogue sounds, so ideally it would have analogue modelling capabilities. I also like plenty of real-time control when programming synths, so it would need lots of knobs/sliders. I'd also like to be able to sequence - both step sequences and piano-roll. Oh, and I'd really need a decent arpeggiator.

At the moment, I'm looking at the Korg Triton Extreme. It's possible to pick one up for a decent price second-hand, and I could get the MOSS board for it. Really, though, I'm worried that the MOSS board won't sound "analogue" enough, and that programming/sequencing will be too fiddly on such a small screen.....

I was wondering what thoughts people have on all this?

paugui

Post by paugui » Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:08 am

I like my Triton a lot, despite I never tried the MOSS Board.
And I only have the first edition, so no extra multi-samples... and the EXB-PCM boards I have seem quite nice, so that extra multi-samples might make the Extreme much cooler than the first one.

You could probably instead get a MOSS for your Trinity, which would probably be much less expensive to you - By the way a friend of mine is selling one, just make an offer and he might accept it... I have an announcement about this in the classified section.

Good luck on your deals

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt,Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom,NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080,MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex,Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Post by crystalmsc » Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:57 am

even without the VA section, a used MC-909 might be able to do all that. The dual D-beam is a fun feature for two :wink: with all the features, it's got a great interface within the price range. later, you can always add a VA which is double as a controller or sample the Kaossilator into it 8)
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

ReaPeR
Gear: Fusion 6HD
Waldorf Q Rack
DSI Evolver Desktop
Roland VK-8m

and other various FX/softhings

Post by ReaPeR » Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:04 am

I think that a Roland Workstation will be the better thing for you... i'm happy with my fusion but it sucks as sequencer, i use it only as a synth. The Roland workstations are capable of some really good analoguish sound and some really beautifully digital atmospheres and they have a good sequencer inside.

once i owned a triton, and i really hated its sound... it's really thin and digital, i tried the triton extreme too and it wasn't better.

pottolom

Post by pottolom » Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:41 am

Which Roland workstation do you recommend? I looked at the Fantom, but I can't seem to find any information on whether or not this contains (or is able to upgrade to) analogue modelling?

Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Hugo76 » Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:05 am

pottolom;
The Roland Fantom G could be a winner for you. It's got a large screen with the option of connecting a mouse, insert effects for all parts, 24 tracks of audio recording, plus its new plugin system *may* open for virtual analogue synts in the future. This is the workstation I'm looking at for the moment.

Another tempting option could be the Korg M3, which in fact does have an option for a virtual analogue plug-in board. Plus it has a very cool design that enables you to place another synth next to its own module. If there is place for a V-Synth XT, you'd have the ultimate setup ;)

But I recommend you take a good look at the new Fantom G; it should provide you with all the necessary tools for complete productions.
Read more here:
http://www.roland.co.uk/synth_room_catd ... d=FantomG8

pottolom

Post by pottolom » Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:11 am

Thanks for the info :)

Unfortunately, though, the Fantom G and M3 are probably a bit out of my price range..... I wouldn't want to spend any more than £1000 GBP.....

Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Hugo76 » Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:08 pm

Since you make techno/electronica style music, the Triton Extreme would probably be a perfect solution for you :D

ps: I have the Triton rack myself and can confirm this ;)