Gear you broke.

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Meso
Gear: Roland MV-8800, DSI MEK, Novation KS-4, Waldorf µwave XT, FutureRetro Revolution

Post by Meso » Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:01 pm

I had the misfortune of overloading a table with gear and it caved in because of excessive weight,
only one casualty and one injury though which is remarkable considering the table height and most of my gear in a big pile on the floor,
the casualty was a Korg EA-1 which landed under my computer monitor, and a note got chipped on the Novation KS-4.

My Soundcraft Compact 10 lit it self on fire once when in the middle of the night, well not exactly on fire but pretty well fried,
my room had that nice electric fire smell for a week.
And somehow an ER-1 got fried, still don't know how it happened, doesn't matter, got a new one... actually an older one :P

I think that sums up all of my gear misfortune.

th0mas
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: oakley tm3030/mopho keys/midibox sid/tr-707/tama techstars/monotron
Band: GRAVITRONIC

Post by th0mas » Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:58 pm

hmm

I was building a midibox SID, dropped the SID chip while I was working on soldering the module and rolled over it with my massive desk chair.

I vacuumed my micron's ac adapter.. thankfully i had a compatible spare.
I accidentally shipped my micron ac adapter when I sold one of my modfx units (the buyer will be okay, the only difference is the micron ac adapter can handle twice the amperage).. I have two music shops claiming to be trying to order the damned thing and no on's gotten back to me.

nuketifromorbit
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by nuketifromorbit » Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:01 pm

I'm not proud to admit it, but I destroyed a kawai k1m both intentionally and accidentally. I bought one for around 65 used, and when it arrived I found out that it had the old dead battery problem. In other words no patch memory. I quickly went to radio shack and picked up a new battery and attempted to super glue the new battery in place. Sadly this did not work and the circuit board had now been coated in glue, so I did the only rational thing, I got incredible pissed and smashed the thing...

I really regret doing this, plus I don't want to look like some "rawr punk rock wanna be" who destroys things and undervalues their equipment. One of the reasons I love synths is because out of all the other electronic equipment I've owned they almost always work like their supposed to. Computers and stereo equipment have given me h**l, but my synths have all proven to be reliable and non-frustrating devices, even the el cheapo ones.
Last edited by nuketifromorbit on Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Huppo
Gear: V-synth, broken Fusion 6HD, HPD10, MP-7, 60+ guitars, etc.
Band: naught

Post by Huppo » Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:02 pm

I have smashed about half a dozen guitars in my life (all of them on stage). I've wrecked a bunch of cars on purpose, too (not on stage).

I haven't ever smashed a keyboard or synth, though.
~huppo

Please feel free to add me to your Foes list.

nuketifromorbit
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by nuketifromorbit » Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:10 pm

Huppo wrote:I have smashed about half a dozen guitars in my life (all of them on stage). I've wrecked a bunch of cars on purpose, too (not on stage).

I haven't ever smashed a keyboard or synth, though.
I have to admit that I enjoy watching ol Trent Reznor during the self destruct tour going nuts and breaking up dx7's on stage and tossing the keys out to the audience. I thought actions such as this where kind of interesting due to the fact that while it was macho posturing it was being done with instruments that usually have a negative and emasculated image in American popular culture. Frankly though I would never desire to do anything like this myself.

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:29 pm

Slowly but surely, about 2 months after modding my SH101, the keyboard interface stopped working. The thing absolutely FREEEEAKS out if I don't use CV/Gate.

Not broken thankfully, but I spilled a beer into my Kurzweil K2vx, and aside from two of the keys temporarily having a little less velocity sensitivity, nothing else happened. That keybed was a really good design.
Last edited by Solderman on Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

Dr. Sound

Post by Dr. Sound » Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:23 pm

also with regards to the sh101..

mine was leaning against one of my racks on its side and slid away from the rack, landing on it's back.

from that point on, the release slider has no effect and all sounds are at maximum release if the key is hit quickly
[ + ]

steveman

Post by steveman » Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:26 pm

Ah yes, the Pro One...

Decided to add some features to my Pro One, one of which was Filter Env out (don't ask me why, I didn't have any other analogue gear, must have seemed like a good idea at the time...).
Anyway what I forgot to add was any form of buffering, so of course plugging anything into my new ENV OUT socket immediatly blew the ADSR chip. Fortunately the tech at Rod Argent's (this was a long time ago) didn't laugh too much...

I've been vaguely thinking about getting a Pro One that needs some work and adding a few mods, but on this experience perhaps I'd better leave well alone.

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:38 pm

Man, I've never broken anything... I tend to baby stuff.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

Sexor
Gear: Prophet6, Jupiter-7, MS25, Juno-50, TR-303, Rhodes 63

Post by Sexor » Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:49 pm

I accidentally fried an SK-1 once.... so I went out driving with my friends, we laid the casio on a parking lot and repeatedly crushed it with the car.

Oh yeah, one night out dj-ing... a really girl was offering me a shot but she only got as far as spilling it over my technics1200, which got really sticky but somehow survived the night but then died after the gig.
Monkey business since 2007!

th0mas
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: oakley tm3030/mopho keys/midibox sid/tr-707/tama techstars/monotron
Band: GRAVITRONIC

Post by th0mas » Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:24 pm

Sexor wrote:
Oh yeah, one night out dj-ing... a really girl was offering me a shot but she only got as far as spilling it over my technics1200, which got really sticky but somehow survived the night but then died after the gig.
I'm surprised to hear that.. I thought the tech 12's wouldn't be such a lightweight and would take closer to a 26er.

Sexor

Post by Sexor » Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:42 pm

th0mas wrote:
Sexor wrote:
I'm surprised to hear that.. I thought the tech 12's wouldn't be such a lightweight and would take closer to a 26er.
Yeah.... to be honest I think something else caused a fuse in it to blow....

gcoudert
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Roland Fantom X7 with Ultimate Keys expansion, Yamaha TX802, Roland JP-8080, Tascam DP-24SD.

Post by gcoudert » Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:49 pm

Roland Juno 60: fell over (I'd stupidly leaned it against the door frame while I put the keyboard stand up). A friend knocked it over with his guitar case and the bender broke. The guy at the local music shop managed to bend it back into position at no cost. Phew...

The Juno gave me a real scare once. We had a rehearsal one Friday night at the venue we were performing at, and left the equipment there overnight. At the final rehearsal the next morning, the Juno started behaving erratically and no sound came out. The unheated place was so cold (it was in the French Alps) that the temperature must have been below the minimum operating temperature of the keyboard. I turned the heating on, let the Juno warm up and it was OK.

Akai S2800i: I installed this neat little RAM upgrade I got from Germany via Ebay. It expands the memory to 32Mb, although the normal maximum is 16Mb. My soldering skills are so poor that I fried something in there. I now have a 32Mb S2800i but when naming samples/programmes/volumes, I have to rely on the rotary knob, as all the buttons yield the wrong characters!

Gilles
GC

Sexor

Post by Sexor » Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:07 pm

Oh yeah forgot, my friend dropped my reel to reel tape machine and completely annihilated it :cry:

MrHope
No Longer Registered

Post by MrHope » Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:36 pm

Many many years ago, I had a Yamaha SK-20 (i think that's what it was called). It was a nice simple analog thing. I was messing around with the circuitry trying to create an audio input so I could process external audio with the filters and keys. It was actually working out, but I was stupid enough to be doing the soldering while it was STILL PLUGGED IN!!! Some wired crossed, sparks flew, smoke came out, and the synth died.

Then it dawned on me that I could've been killed easily. I haven't done anything stupid like that since then. Life is too precious.