Gear you broke.

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
ianjhicks
Gear: 808, 707, pro one, juno 60, jx3p, juno 106
Band: Soft Metals

Post by ianjhicks » Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:15 pm

my old powerbook and x session midi controller got a full bottle of vodka and full carton of OJ spilled all over them when a fight broke out at a party I was DJing.. both survived, but the keyboard on the powerbook was the grossest stickiest thing ever and the x session crossfader sometimes jumps around without being touched... later that summer the powerbooks screen got fried after a rainstorm and a leaky bag... supremely annoying but gave me a good excuse to upgrade to the MPB and stop using that gross keyboard

michael stein
Band: S U R V I V E

Post by michael stein » Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:40 pm

Ive got a clumsy friend who managed to blow my PA speakers, fry my mixer to where smoke came out, and then the next week his headphones started smoking. Now i believe his lack of knowledge and love for extreme DB's blew my setup but, headphones smoking? I think its just his luck.

th0mas
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: oakley tm3030/mopho keys/midibox sid/tr-707/tama techstars/monotron
Band: GRAVITRONIC

Post by th0mas » Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:10 pm

headphone's smoking? that's messed up.

The laptop mention made me remember something. In the summer I DJ'd a really bad wedding stag for an associate of a friend who I didn't really like.. I got incredibly drunk and played very explicit music while the bride's mom was on the mic talking about some stupid raffle. That was the good idea. The bad one was hooking up the laptop and djing with it while my friend drove us home. it got banged up and the screen needed to be replaced.

michael stein
Band: S U R V I V E

Post by michael stein » Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:22 pm

I wanna hear more drunk stories of bad things that could have easily been avoided if not for the bad judgement. HAHA

rockmanrock

Post by rockmanrock » Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:27 pm

I bought a TR626 and the seller sent me a MC303 PSU I think (AC?), of course I didn't notice cos it said Roland on it and it fried the 626 within moments of me getting it.

I've not smashed any synth stuff on purpose but a few computer keyboards have taken a pummeling. It's the only language they understand at times.

zmd
Gear: ion, djx, su200, fb01, sk50d, dotcom, kodyssey, volcas, minibrute, minilogue, tg33, 522, streichfett, monotrons, cp35
Band: Shrimp ring/usse/wrote/usurper

Post by zmd » Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:55 pm

i got my reverse key poly 800 from a friend in trade for a tr707.
the 707 was in functionally great shape, but the 800 was in showroom shape! shining like new it was.

anyway, i get it, i'm building a patch immediately on it, and i'm so pumped to be using new gear that i don't bother with a stand for it, i just rest it on an armchair while i sit in front of it on a computer chair. i have headphones plugged in of course, and when i turn the chair to stand up, the cord is wrapped firmly round the chair or my foot or something. the keyboard LEAPS off the armchair, and flips once gracefully in mid air, then lands perfectly on the 3rd G key...right on the chair caster. shatters it. the front end gone. i had owned it for approx 45 minutes at this point.

sigh, i can't have nice things
that's not dirt, that's chili sauce!

smallsynth
Gear: jp03, dx21, bass station, k-station, gnat, buzz, cs01-mkii, eml-101, eh-401
Band: resterisk

Post by smallsynth » Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:34 pm

well, i've lost a couple k-station knobs because i was a little too excited during live shows. i've just used other, less used knobs, to replace.

i lost a nord lead knob once -- but was borrowing the nord. i had to order replacements.

i busted a red-sh101 trying to clean it out. that, of course, was the worst ever. i still have it. and it's still busted.

astraeus000

Post by astraeus000 » Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:48 pm

I busted my Chroma Polaris (now sold off) when I opened it tocheck the batteries........I knew beforehand about the brittle membrane-connector problem, so I opened it very gently...checked it, then gentley closed it back up.

After powering the Polaris back up, to my shock and horror I find that 1/3 of all the front-panel buttons are not working anymore.....I opened it back up again, gently as well, checked connections, closed it back up, and then I find that half of the buttons are dead. :cry:

that was the last time I opened it......so heartbreaking...

that synth really does kick so much a*s when its working..... :roll:

wesleymino

Post by wesleymino » Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:13 am

Dropped my SU10 in a river. Later used the "I'm dying" sound it made as the basis for a track.

Repeatedly pounded my Yamaha PSR-something keyboard with my fists when it started malfunctioning, and suddenly the tone got kinda warped sounding and the keyboard was auto-arpeggiating. Quickly tape recorded a little jam with it, sounded great! Then it died.

aXL
Gear: Moog LP Stage II, Ensoniq ESQ-1, Nord Electro 3, Roland JP-8080, Akai SynthStation 49, numerous softies...
Band: Nemesis Kane

Post by aXL » Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:22 am

I wore out the XLR input on my amp, but my synths are all working... except that one of the inside hinges for the top panel screws on the ESQ-1 broke off when the new battery was soldered on, so only three screws are actually doing their job.
Sir Nose wrote:It's like sex with or without a condom. You know which choice is gonna feel better, but it's not always a wise choice.
Disciples of the new wave, portaits in the sand...

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:41 am

hmmm...

you know, i have destroyed plenty of things in my life. women, computer monitors, printers, my fingernails, cars, big wheels, furniture, houses, various red heads, etc, but my musical instrument destroying has been pretty underwhelming. one time i broke 3 of my 4 guitars because somebody accused me of taking a dollar out of their pocket book, so i ruined 500 dollars worth of low end guitars in spite and to make them feel bad (or me look insane). i ended up rebuilding all of them into wierd homemade sitar like contraptions

hit a biker with an xp10, but it didnt f**k up the xp10.

one time some b***h poured f**k beer over all of my f**k pedals. when i threatened to kick her c**t in her boyfriend walked over to me and our drummer blasted his a*s with a f**k folding chair before he or i could say 'boo'

i gotta tell you, you see people getting hit with folding chairs on tv and it looks funny, but when you see a 6'1" 230 lb f**k bat swing a folding chair into a douche bag's face from a blind spot, it looks a lot less amusing.

anyhow, the pedals still work fine to this day. homeboy now has 3 plastic teeth though. :lol:
moral - nobody f**k with my gear.
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

zmd
Gear: ion, djx, su200, fb01, sk50d, dotcom, kodyssey, volcas, minibrute, minilogue, tg33, 522, streichfett, monotrons, cp35
Band: Shrimp ring/usse/wrote/usurper

Post by zmd » Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:18 am

i have no idea how i forgot this poor guy

goodbye psr 48 :)

yup, NIN cover band
that's not dirt, that's chili sauce!

th0mas
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: oakley tm3030/mopho keys/midibox sid/tr-707/tama techstars/monotron
Band: GRAVITRONIC

Post by th0mas » Sat Feb 09, 2008 4:19 am

zmd wrote:i have no idea how i forgot this poor guy

goodbye psr 48 :)

yup, NIN cover band
uhhh.. is that blood? I guess thats what your "yup" is to preemptively answer.

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt,Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom,NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080,MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex,Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Post by crystalmsc » Sat Feb 09, 2008 4:53 am

uh..and I also broke my SCSI HD and interface of the Trinity, just because I forgot that SCSI must on and die first rule..errgh, I hate that :?
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

ColorForm2113
Gear: tin cans and rubber bands
Band: Me twiddling in the corner...

Post by ColorForm2113 » Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:23 am

...oh and somehow all 3 channels on my peavy KB100 blew out :? aparently it didnt like leaving my house or something but i found a way around it, if i plug a cable in half way to the pre EQ patch it still works...its just VERY LOUD :shock: much louder than it ever was when it worked. go figure...