Gear you broke.

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
JBug
Gear: Kurzweil K2000S
Roland JX 10 with PG800
Roland D50
Roland JD800
Yamaha DX7IIFD
Yamaha CS2X

Post by JBug » Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:43 am

Early giging days: I made an over-enthousiastic slide on my poly 800 . . . It went flying to the front of the stage . . . Just under the lead signer's feet as he landed from a nice jump. Being made of plastic, it made a horrible cracking sound and the batteries went flying. At least it died doing what it liked doing best. RIP.

Post giging days: My Elka Rhapsody went flying (i think my synths should have wings) off a pick up truck after hitting a BIG bump at about 60kmh. It landed in the street and we stopped to pick it up. It looked in very bad shape with the metal cover on the left of the keys missing and both slider knobs busted. I pluged it in when we arrived at destination and it worked perfectly and still does to this day. It still looks like s**t but sounds as warm as the day it was born.
Kurzweil K2000s, Roland JD-800, Roland D-50, Roland Super JX, Roland JX305 Groovesynth, Yamaha DX 7IIFD, Elka Rhapsody. VSTi out the wazoo.

thestreets
Gear: Maschine Mikro, Electribe ESX, KP3, Korg R3, Microkorg.

Post by thestreets » Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:14 am

I hadn't used my SR-16 in a long time. I fired it up one day a couple weeks ago and the sound is horribly distorted. I hit the kick drum pad and it just omitted what sounded like a the kick drum going through some metal style distortion. That goes for the rest of the sound. It's kind of cool though im gonna see if i can make it work with somethin.

oryjen

Post by oryjen » Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:42 am

In 1982, when I bought my Korg MP4, just one week later my brother let it fall, and those s**t-false-wood ends where broken on the rear, both sides.
But the synth still worked happyly.
However I still have it, and it still works really well! :P
Korg MS10-MS20-MS50-SQ10-X911-SuperDelta-800DV-MP4-ES50-P800-PE1000-M500SP-Trident MkII-KPR77-DSS1-P61-Volcas&Monotrons/Eko P15/YAMAHA CS30-CP30-DX9/RSF Bbox x2/Viscount CL1-R64/SCI Multitrack-P600/Roland GR500-SH1000/TimbreWolf/SX210/Mx3000

Tyler2000
Gear: HS-60, MG-1, CS-5, ESQ-1, CZ-101, DR-110, MR-10, MDP-40, EA-1, ER-1, ES-1, Trixer, SDS-9, Califorian 365, toys, guitars, ukes, etc.

Post by Tyler2000 » Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:04 am

ColorForm2113 wrote:...oh and somehow all 3 channels on my peavy KB100 blew out :? aparently it didnt like leaving my house or something but i found a way around it, if i plug a cable in half way to the pre EQ patch it still works...its just VERY LOUD :shock: much louder than it ever was when it worked. go figure...
Hmmm...I move my KB-100 around all the time and it's never given me any lip. Honestly, it's lived a pretty hard life.

I forgot to mention that I have a had tons of circuit bending casualties. There is probably at least one casualty for every product I have finished. Man, I suck at bending.
so what do I put down here now?

premieklovn
Gear: T.O.N.T.O
Band: Monomen

Post by premieklovn » Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:30 pm

I don't think I've broken any of my synths, just the natural wear and tear from gigging etc.

We've managed to drop our TR707 in the floor many times but surprisingly its a survivor. Plastic survivor!

Classic:

ItsMeOnly

Post by ItsMeOnly » Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:56 pm

I fried Vermona Synthesizer once, I was trying out "audio in" to filter modification, and accidentally touched one of big capacitors with a soldering gun, and one of transistors- the re was giant spark, lots of smoke, and Vermona was dead...

Tyler2000
Gear: HS-60, MG-1, CS-5, ESQ-1, CZ-101, DR-110, MR-10, MDP-40, EA-1, ER-1, ES-1, Trixer, SDS-9, Califorian 365, toys, guitars, ukes, etc.

Post by Tyler2000 » Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:05 pm

premieklovn wrote:Classic:
wow....
so what do I put down here now?

MissionBrown

Post by MissionBrown » Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:01 am

I had the misfortune to forget that my BRAND NEW Analogue delay had to use a regulated PSU.

Turns out that not using one killed a chip that has a max voltage rating of 10v fortunately it wasn't one of the MNxxxx delay chips.

I only had it 3 days :(

lesson here. When you have a bit of kit thats says "use regulated power" you really do need to otherwise you get that sinking feeling in your belly.

I've since sourced a replacement chip that has 12v max rating... waiting on the post man.

I've done the old circuit bend c**k up and DIY fry but have managed to fix most of it. I was off my face one night and put a piping hot pizza on my acoustic guitar... still plays ok but the finish is ruined.

ColorForm2113
Gear: tin cans and rubber bands
Band: Me twiddling in the corner...

Post by ColorForm2113 » Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:09 am

Tyler2000 wrote:
ColorForm2113 wrote:...oh and somehow all 3 channels on my peavy KB100 blew out :? aparently it didnt like leaving my house or something but i found a way around it, if i plug a cable in half way to the pre EQ patch it still works...its just VERY LOUD :shock: much louder than it ever was when it worked. go figure...
Hmmm...I move my KB-100 around all the time and it's never given me any lip. Honestly, it's lived a pretty hard life.

I forgot to mention that I have a had tons of circuit bending casualties. There is probably at least one casualty for every product I have finished. Man, I suck at bending.
yeah it was the strangest thing i was playing through it before band practice, everything was perfect. then i put in my car, didnt even hit a bump on the way there, plugged it in at practice and everything sounded like really bassy farts??? unfortunately it took me a while to notice the pre eq in/out. i guess i cant complain too much it was only $30.

and yea im Horrible at bending too. the only "successful" bend was i turned a DOD flanger into something that self oscillates and makes this kinda rising pitch... *beeeeeoop!

kulten

Post by kulten » Sun Feb 10, 2008 4:17 pm

6 months ago my son broke a double "level" knob steping on my SYB-5.

fortunatly, repair was cheap.
a way of live : BOSS SYB-3 bass synthesizer

https://www.facebook.com/Kulten/

kulten

Post by kulten » Sun Feb 10, 2008 4:20 pm

premieklovn wrote:
another classic :
a way of live : BOSS SYB-3 bass synthesizer

https://www.facebook.com/Kulten/

premieklovn
Gear: T.O.N.T.O
Band: Monomen

Post by premieklovn » Sun Feb 10, 2008 4:41 pm

kulten wrote:
premieklovn wrote:
another classic :
BAHAH

Analogue Crazy
Gear: Alesis Andromeda
Korg MS20 Mini
Korg Micro Preset
Korg DS-8
Yamaha Motif 7
Yamaha DX11

Post by Analogue Crazy » Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:20 pm

VL-Tone.

My Jupiter-4 sometimes get knocked around coz its on the road often. It behaves on stage but tuning can drift after some knocks. If i dropped it i would be more worried obout what it gets dropped on. Its a tank.
A6 Andromeda, MS20 Mini, M500SP, DS-8, Motif 7, DX11,

nuketifromorbit
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by nuketifromorbit » Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:33 pm

tallowwaters wrote:hmmm...

hit a biker with an xp10, but it didnt f**k up the xp10.

one time some b***h poured f**k beer over all of my f**k pedals. when i threatened to kick her c**t in her boyfriend walked over to me and our drummer blasted his a*s with a f**k folding chair before he or i could say 'boo'

i gotta tell you, you see people getting hit with folding chairs on tv and it looks funny, but when you see a 6'1" 230 lb f**k bat swing a folding chair into a douche bag's face from a blind spot, it looks a lot less amusing.

anyhow, the pedals still work fine to this day. homeboy now has 3 plastic teeth though. :lol:
moral - nobody f**k with my gear.
Is performing live in eastern NC usually that hazardous?

chamomileshark

Post by chamomileshark » Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:50 pm

I accidently damaged a Boss Dr Rythm by leaving a battery inside and then broke one of the battery connectors cleaning it. Hopefully that's fixable.

I sort of screwed my ReVox A77 by using WD40 to stop it squeaking.

Most recently I think I might responsible for the MXR Pitch transposer failure. I have a feeling the power cable is damaged as I noticed the rack was sitting on the cable.

But this is over nearly 30 years.