Page 1 of 5
Gear you broke.
Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:33 am
Not gear that was broke when you got it. We always talk about fixing gear, but I'm sure you all have a few good broken gear stories.
The only one I have is that one time I spilled an entire cup of grape juice into the lower manual of my organ. It has sticky keys still today.
Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:52 am
I'm paranoid around my synths. The slightest dings drive me nuts. I haven't broken anything yet.
Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:06 am
(trying to fix it)
Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:19 am
My bandmate broke the multi-function knob off our Micron somehow, he didn't notice it at all but I did when he got to practice. It had only been played once before that.
Another old bandmate dropped our EA-1 which landed on the power input jack and broke it off the circuit board, but I opened it up and fixed it.
Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:10 am
Burnt out a friend's EMS VCS3 (gulp...), fortunately I was able to repair it. Says he's still my friend...
Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:07 am
Blew a fuse on my modular, quick trip to the local maplins and bought €2 worth of fuses; a few extra just in case. It was up and making weird noises again in no time.
Not really a "broke" story, but close.
Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:29 am
I spilled a full beer on my old PolySix. Bye bye Poly.
Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:40 am
I busted a Wurlitzer organ to matchsticks with my bare hands once. I was trying to figure out how to solve fourier transforms and getting nowhere after six or seven hours, so I took my anger out on the nearest inanimate target. Ironically I busted my hands up enough that I couldn't write very well for a few days and the test got pushed back a week.
Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:08 am
I smashed my Paia Midi CV converter Eprom to pieces today in anger that I broke a pin off and it is absolutely impossible to fix. (Ok well I also wanted to see what's inside, hardly anything
Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:11 am
I have done that...taken anger out on synths,smashed the keys on a D70 broke one,did the same thing to my D50 with both hands nothing happened, I don't like to hurt keyboards anymore.
Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:36 am
i havent taken any anger out out on gear in a while, and definately never on a synth they cost way too much to fix. but i have grabbed guitars by the strings and kind of threw it to the floor with out letting go of the strings, thus breaking them and cutting my hand up pretty good lol.
ocassionaly i bump my synths into wall, doors, etc caring them down stairs and that makes my nervous. usually just a lil out of tune at the worst
Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:33 am
Most would know that I...
Fried my tr-505 in the circuit bending fiasco of 2007. Yep completely destroyed the gate array, an almost impossible part to replace.
Accicdently dropped a wire from the cpu of my cr 8000 into the live power supply. I was doing a trigger enhancement at the time.
I have completely restored a tr-909 cosmetically and functionally, it had missing switches broken ribbon cables, 16 broken traces in the kick drum circuit. My tr-404 (cr-8000 tr 505 hybrid) will be complete soon. So my destruction will be evened out by restoration.
Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:10 am
My Trinity disk drive is dead
time to fix it. It used to load tons of samples, which is very slow and hard for the drive.
Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:41 am
1. Crumar Road Runner, soldering gone wrong...
2. Vox Jaguar....this, that, and finally I threw it from my balacony into the garbage bin.
3. Yamaha SY-2, I didnt do it but a band mate dropped it and the built in wah never worked again
4. Roland MS ( the cheap little sampler) kept giving me wierd messages it seemed to only work when I didnt need it to work. A hammer solved that problem.
5. A couple of cheap amps, I have somehow managed to break off the 1/4 inch jack inputs. I like to trip over chords.
6. Boss DR 550? glass of wine
7. Fender Coronado II oh....riding home on my bike after a show, I decided I wanted to take the guitar with me. All the other gear was going to the rehearsal space aka the drummers basement. The guitar fell out of the case and shattered. I still cry when I think about it.
8. Fender MusicMaster making a wierd crackling noise, took it all apart somehow broke the nut in the process....what do you know, just a bad cable...oh, I was pissed
9. Squier Telecaster..I kept doing mod's to it and from time to time it would start shorting out. I was in a pissy mood, it started to short...I smashed it to pieces, best $50 bucks I spent.
10. Fender Jazzmaster Japan R.I. the vibrato kept callopsing, never could figure out why. Fender finally replaced it after I brought back to the store for the 4th time. The store had an offical Fender tech there and he was more puzzled then I was.
11. Univox Echo Chamber it just fell out of my hands.
Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:46 am
1) my Bontempi Minstrel Alfa keyboard broke while I was trying to bend it- i did however get a partial bend chart- i remember it did some GREAT things... until I made a connection to a voltage source.
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k32/c ... ng-map.jpg
that's about all the synth-related stuff I've broken- although I think I broke my 707 more than it already was before I let go of it.