For those who have MS2K + other VA

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Jexus

For those who have MS2K + other VA

Post by Jexus » Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:40 am

[moving out]|
Last edited by Jexus on Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

killedaway
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Electribes x 6
Revolution
Monomachine MKII
microKORG
CS01
& more!
Band: killedaway/allyourblood

Post by killedaway » Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:58 am

that being the case, don't ever play an Ion. :lol: kidding -- i own one, but it always gets c**p for sounding "plastic". in its defense, though, you can route the Ion till you're blue in the face, and then you've still got FM to tweak it further. endless sound-shaping VA, that.

to be honest, i don't even understand what it means for something to sound plastic. the MS2000 sounds nice to my ears, though it's certainly one of the more harsh-sounding VAs. that is, it seems to have a brighter and more brittle, cutting quality to it than some other synths with similar specs. but still, i was able to program some nice deep and smooth basses, and i continue to do so on the microKORG, which is basically the same sound engine. i don't suppose i'm as picky as most members of VSE, though.

if you don't like it, just toss it. it's not like you haven't got ninety other synths to play! :wink:
Last edited by killedaway on Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

synapsecollapse
Gear: MS20 Mini, Eurorack stuffs, Elektron Machinedrum, Venom, iPad mini, DX7

Post by synapsecollapse » Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:01 am

i think as a "virtual analog" it is easy to call weak, but if you look at it as a digital synth and utilize some of its more interesting features (the mod sequencer, the 4x4 mod matrix, dwgs waves) and dont compare it heavily to other VA's it still has value, and what some would call "charachter"; i think its a something some people like and others dislike, and its pretty subjective.

i like the ms2000 sound a lot and it was my only synth i kept for years, so i feel like i got to know it pretty well. when it came to purchasing my third one i ended up deciding on a microkorg for portability.

polardark

Post by polardark » Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:41 am

I am satisfied with the functions of the MS2K architecture but the sound sounds very "plastic" to me. As with the microKorg you can do the "feedback trick" on the MS2K for a fatter, more complex sound. It is a pity that Korg never implemented this in the operating system software.

Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: 18u Eurorack, Octatrack, Pro2
Band: BLUSH_RESPONSE

Post by Joey » Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:18 am

I sold it for just this reason, the sound doesn't appeal to me, it just sounds bad, there some distinct quality to it that I really dislike, something about the filter.
No one cares, no one sympathizes,
so you just stay home and play synthesizers.

http://wearereplicants.com

Yoozer
Expert Member
Expert Member

Re: For those who have MS2K + other VA

Post by Yoozer » Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:30 pm

Jexus wrote:I've had MS2000 for 2 weeks now.
I think it sounds like a rompler. It sounds most plastic compared to other VAs, and I have things like AN1x, OB-12, A-Station. And after those 2 weeks, I feel limited by its amount of functions.
Then make one of your awesome and crazy video demos of it, put it on Youtube, wait a month, then sell it for more than you've paid for it :D.
"Part of an instrument is what it can do, and part of it is what you do to it" - Suzanne Ciani, 197x.

TrondC
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Machinedrum UW & Monomachine Mk2's
Korg KP3 & Zero 4
Band: Siesta Submarina

Post by TrondC » Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:55 pm

polardark wrote:I am satisfied with the functions of the MS2K architecture but the sound sounds very "plastic" to me. As with the microKorg you can do the "feedback trick" on the MS2K for a fatter, more complex sound. It is a pity that Korg never implemented this in the operating system software.
I may have missed this, and I'm looking for ways to get sonething new out of my microkorg, what this trick again? if it involves (as I think it may do) feeding the output to the input, I havent done that yet for fear of the sound accumulating till my monitors (or worse, my ears) pops.
any way to work around that?

memo

Post by memo » Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:05 pm

I think you're right about the tone - the MS-2000 has kind of a shitty sound quality, compared to other virtual analogs.

But I love the mod sequencers. I like how easy it is to change the 16 steps using the knobs, and having 3 is great.

Cybananna

Post by Cybananna » Sat Feb 09, 2008 3:06 pm

synapsecollapse wrote:if you look at it as a digital synth and utilize some of its more interesting features and dont compare it heavily to other VA's it still has value, and what some would call "charachter";
Nice way of putting it. I love the MS2000 for what it is. It sounds cool. I'm lucky enough to have other VA's and analogs so I don't really care if it sounds"analog". As long as it sounds good, or fills a gap left by other synths.

I love it.

Jexus

Post by Jexus » Sat Feb 09, 2008 3:22 pm

[moving out]|
Last edited by Jexus on Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Box
Gear: Roland JP-8000
Roland JX-3P
Roland JX-8P
1972 Wurlitzer Console Piano
Band: Neo Decorum
Location: Land of oscillators, filters, and other really cool looking stuff.

Post by Box » Sat Feb 09, 2008 3:28 pm

I've started to find my Ion clean and not "analog" enough since the purchase of my JX-8P, there's just no comparison to be had when it comes to sound. I guess I still like the Ion and all but it's just not the same. I don't think a VA will ever truly capture the magic of analog 100% but they're getting close. From what demos I've heard of the MS2K & MK they seem to be around that of the Ion, maybe a little more digital sounding but an OK sound nonetheless. Maybe from just playing all those analogue beasts you can't settle for anything less? :D
Help our very own Maschinengeist (Stéphane) by making your next purchase or repair with him! Click the logo for more info!

Jexus

Post by Jexus » Sat Feb 09, 2008 3:40 pm

Box wrote: Maybe from just playing all those analogue beasts you can't settle for anything less? :D
Yep, maybe it's just a wrong time for a low-budget-synth like MS2k. I've spent the recent month engrossed in OB12 and Z1... so it's like getting from heaven back to earth.

Box
Gear: Roland JP-8000
Roland JX-3P
Roland JX-8P
1972 Wurlitzer Console Piano
Band: Neo Decorum
Location: Land of oscillators, filters, and other really cool looking stuff.

Post by Box » Sat Feb 09, 2008 3:48 pm

Btw, I liked the 2 part series of the Ob-12 you did. Next I think you should find a Moog modular and do a video of that. :P
Help our very own Maschinengeist (Stéphane) by making your next purchase or repair with him! Click the logo for more info!

AudiosEnvy

Post by AudiosEnvy » Sat Feb 09, 2008 3:56 pm

I love my MS2KB for ambient progressive type sounds. It always seems to find a spot in the background of my tracks. The thin sound is perfect for that use as well. For leads and basses, look elsewhere.
Gear list, Studio Pics and Music on my MySpace:

www.MySpace.com/giohouse

[Official VA Hooker]

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Post by OriginalJambo » Sat Feb 09, 2008 4:03 pm

I borrowed a microKORG for a few months a while back and I mostly agree with killedaway - the general character is bright and harsh which actually makes it comparable to many older KORG synths. And from what I remember of the ION I'd say it's the polar opposite.

The microKORG wouldn't fool many with its "analogue" patches, but it does actually sound good if you give it a chance. Maybe it has a sort of cheap VA sound to it for some but I liked it none-the-less.

The only real beef I have with it is the 4 note polyphony. To my ears it sounds like it would be a lot better for pads/strings than the ION ever was but it just doesn't have the polyphony...
Last edited by OriginalJambo on Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.