Mini-Korg 700s and K-2 two different synths?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:48 pm

OMNI26 wrote:

Technically, you are correct.....Greg Hawkes used the Prophet on Candy-O, and singlehandedly made the Prophet's "sync sound" famous. But the first album's synths were nothing but the MiniKorg and the ARP Omni. He didn't use the Prophet at all on the first album (since it came out before the Prophet was even on the market!).

Speaking of the Omni, yes it was featured prominently on Moving In Stereo, but there IS some MiniKorg in there, too (the little square-wave blips here and arpeggiations here and there). I confirmed this with Greg personally in conversations I have had with him. Yes, I read that 1979 Keyboard magazine article too which says that the song was all Omni, but apparently that wasn't really true.
The first album, yes...but you did write "first two albums" in your post, didn't you? also, I didn't say anything about that he would've used the Prophet 5 on their debut album.
"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:55 pm

OMNI26 wrote:I LOVE the MiniKorg (K1 or K2)....but holy c**p - $600 for one!?! Wow! I don't think I've ever seen one sell for so much. Oh well!
I saw that, too. That was... really shocking. Like scary shocking. I remember when people, a mere 3 or 4 years ago, would complain bitterly when one of those sold for more than $200.
There have been several other analog synths which used to be considered embarrassingly low end which are now going for prices in that range.
Prices are really getting scary.
I've always wanted a Minikorg, but wow...

I remember when I used to gripe about missing the point when analog synths were cheap. It's starting to look like the ridiculous prices I paid for my analog synths were in the second era of cheap.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

drummy
Gear: Univox K-2 Mini-Korg 2
Location: Northfield, Illinois or Milwaukee, Wisconsin (I go back and forth a lot)

Post by drummy » Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:00 pm

Automatic Gainsay wrote:
OMNI26 wrote:I LOVE the MiniKorg (K1 or K2)....but holy c**p - $600 for one!?! Wow! I don't think I've ever seen one sell for so much. Oh well!
I saw that, too. That was... really shocking. Like scary shocking. I remember when people, a mere 3 or 4 years ago, would complain bitterly when one of those sold for more than $200.
There have been several other analog synths which used to be considered embarrassingly low end which are now going for prices in that range.
Prices are really getting scary.
I've always wanted a Minikorg, but wow...

I remember when I used to gripe about missing the point when analog synths were cheap. It's starting to look like the ridiculous prices I paid for my analog synths were in the second era of cheap.
heh, I spent more than I would like, but at least my search for a Minikorg 700s is now over.

tim gueguen

Post by tim gueguen » Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:41 pm

OMNI26 wrote:

Greg Hawkes used the Prophet on Candy-O, and singlehandedly made the Prophet's "sync sound" famous.
Its funny how a lot of people think that sound was a guitar. Every few months someone on one of the guitar forums will ask what effect was used for that part.
Keys: Realistic Concertmate 500, Korg K25, Korg Micro X

Guits: '86 Fender Japan '50s Reissue Strat, '80 Aria Pro II TS-300 Thor Sound

OMNI26

Post by OMNI26 » Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:38 am

tim gueguen wrote:
OMNI26 wrote:

Greg Hawkes used the Prophet on Candy-O, and singlehandedly made the Prophet's "sync sound" famous.
Its funny how a lot of people think that sound was a guitar. Every few months someone on one of the guitar forums will ask what effect was used for that part.
Yep! And I've heard some bar bands without keyboard players do a pretty accurate rendition of it just with a guitar. Of course, you can't fool real synth fans, but 95%+ of the public doesn't know or care.