What's going on with the Stromberg?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
maindeglorie
Gear: Voyager Select,Little Phatty,ARP Solus,Omni II,Yamaha CS-40M,Prophet 5,Prophet 08,OB-Xa,MaxiKorg,Nord Lead 3,Nord Wave,Eurorack modular, etc.

What's going on with the Stromberg?

Post by maindeglorie » Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:39 pm

Think they'll release it? Waldorf is always vague on releasing information on progress.

sequence

Post by sequence » Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:55 pm

they cant even get thier collective s**t together on Blofeld, so if I were U I wouldnt hold my breath here. :x
twentyfirst century fizMO man

maindeglorie
Gear: Voyager Select,Little Phatty,ARP Solus,Omni II,Yamaha CS-40M,Prophet 5,Prophet 08,OB-Xa,MaxiKorg,Nord Lead 3,Nord Wave,Eurorack modular, etc.

Post by maindeglorie » Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:04 pm

I know. It's ridiculous. All I want is a XTk type synth, and the closest thing that they are "considering" putting out is the Stromberg. Does anyone know why they don't continue the Microwave line? They sold rather well didn't they?

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:57 pm

Yep, so well that they went out of business...

Syn303
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Quite a bit...
Band: Syn303

Post by Syn303 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:25 pm

Didn't this man have something to do with the Stromberg ?

| syn303.bandcamp.com | soundcloud.com/syn303 |

clusterchord
Band: Nimbus Dei

Post by clusterchord » Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:45 pm

maindeglorie wrote:I know. It's ridiculous. All I want is a XTk type synth, and the closest thing that they are "considering" putting out is the Stromberg. Does anyone know why they don't continue the Microwave line? They sold rather well didn't they?
so whats wrong with buying a used XTk then? just curious.. service/support issues, or?

i mean, for starters, hypothetical Stromberg will be 3 times more expensive. second, as Q/Q+ line sounds quite different from XT line, so Stromberg will probably differ even more so, at least judging by Blofeld sound..

well that is, unless u rreally after a new hybrid (ie analog filter wavetable snyth), but even then, for fraction of the cost, i think a microwave1 does that ppg-ey type of sound pretty well. need more poly?.. just buy two, need knobby UI? get Remote SL that transmits sysex.. wiht all that u r still well ahead of 3-4k that stomberg will ask of your pocket..

i too think that its a very slim chance they actually release Stromberg. i see it more as a "flagship" vaporware, as if they're tryin to say "we're back in the game big time", but as others have noted, they cant even get their sh* togehter for blofeld.. bottom line, they need a LOT of money to release a $$$ board like Stromberg, and still its questionable if it will be profitable in the end..

just thinking out loud.. :wink: i mena, theyre one of my favorite synth companies, so i do wish em success by all means.

jupiter · oberheim · prophet · sh · moog · andromeda · ppg wave · vs · waldorf · yamaha · eii · casio
rhodes · solina · acetone · eurorack · system100 · förster · lexicon · eventide · space echo · svc350 etc

Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: 18u Eurorack, Octatrack, Pro2
Band: BLUSH_RESPONSE

Post by Joey » Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:26 pm

The blofeld was put out so Waldorf can gather some cash to make the stromberg.

so basically, not for a LONG time.
No one cares, no one sympathizes,
so you just stay home and play synthesizers.

http://wearereplicants.com

zobomix

Post by zobomix » Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:30 pm

they cant even get thier collective s**t together on Blofeld, so if I were U I wouldnt hold my breath here.
I don't understand that statement you made. No other company has been able to release so much synth power in such a package for that price so far. The Blofeld has some OS quirks but if you check the Waldorf music forum Stefan Stenzel himself assured that they are working on an OS update and part of the delay was due to the NAMM show.

Look at Dave Smith, he's started talking about the boomchick one year ago, now it's a linndrum thing and it will take another year before you can purchase the actual product. But in that case, lots of people seem so cool about waiting that much time. Instead, the Stromberg is already bashed for not showing up? :shock:

Only thing I can say is, time will tell.

Synthetica

Post by Synthetica » Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:04 am

DSI has released several products over the last few years, MED, MEK, PER, PEK, P08, and all of them are/were shipping and available. In Addition there will be and soon to be P08 Rack and Lindrumm.

Waldorf has one small product the Blofeld that is actually shipping and that was announced over a year ago and is still very difficult to find one to order, so doesn't seem this is a fair comparison. It does seem to me that Waldorf needs to look at there production methods a bit.

zobomix

Post by zobomix » Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:02 am

The MED, MEK, PER, PEK all share the same architecture so it is more a matter of re-packaging which may take some time to do but it's not like making a product from scratch.

As for the linndrum, check the Dave Smith's interview on sonicstate.com, he's saying it'll be ready by the end of this year. Just to point out that Dave started talking about the boomchik one year ago. 'Soon' is a rather vague term.
Waldorf has one small product the Blofeld
What do you mean by that? Small in size, power? A product is just a product so size is not the way to define its quality.

I don't like the whole brand bashing thing. Dave's a brilliant designer. Waldorf is a company with great designers, too. My point is that some people just rant in this forum for the fun of it.

Synthetica

Post by Synthetica » Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:20 am

zobomix wrote:The MED, MEK, PER, PEK all share the same architecture so it is more a matter of re-packaging which may take some time to do but it's not like making a product from scratch.

As for the linndrum, check the Dave Smith's interview on sonicstate.com, he's saying it'll be ready by the end of this year. Just to point out that Dave started talking about the boomchik one year ago. 'Soon' is a rather vague term.
Waldorf has one small product the Blofeld
What do you mean by that? Small in size, power? A product is just a product so size is not the way to define its quality.

I don't like the whole brand bashing thing. Dave's a brilliant designer. Waldorf is a company with great designers, too. My point is that some people just rant in this forum for the fun of it.

ok maybe "small" wasnt the right choice of words in this context, but i was referring to its physical size nothing more (wow, so picky people are :)). No bashing intended from me as I own and love both Waldorf and DSI products including the Blofeld that I just got yesterday and it is definitely a quality product.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:18 am

maindeglorie wrote:I know. It's ridiculous. All I want is a XTk type synth, and the closest thing that they are "considering" putting out is the Stromberg. Does anyone know why they don't continue the Microwave line? They sold rather well didn't they?
Stab Frenzy wrote:Yep, so well that they went out of business...
Actually I should point out that the XTk was discontinued before Waldorf went out of business. So maybe it wasn't selling well or maybe they should have kept selling them and they might have stayed round a bit longer. I guess it could go either way...

kogmachine
Gear: Probably way too much gear

Post by kogmachine » Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:37 am

You know I've always heard that Germans were renowned for their efficiency... well I work for a German company and it's not too efficient. Always shorthanded, always late on production quotas. I have to operate a machine that requires 4 people to run, by myself... everyday. And when anyone is free to help me they're told to sweep up the place. It's screwed up where I work but we get decent product shipped out eventually. I suspect Waldorf has the same trouble, being shorthanded. And since they just re-established their business, they're probably not in a financial state to hire a larger manufacturing team. I've never even used a Waldorf product before, but I have enough faith in German quality that I threw down on a Q+, which broke me at the time. I'm still waiting to get it... but I'm not complaining even if it sounds like I am. I'm excited to be able to play an awesome synth, and I'm just tired of waiting. The biggest b***h is how many hours I have to work just to afford all this gear I don't have time to play. I suppose I should just save all of my money but that's not as much fun. Besides a new synth smells a lot better than a wad of cash.
Don't be afraid, ever... cause this is just a ride.

kogmachine
Gear: Probably way too much gear

Post by kogmachine » Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:39 am

Just had to sniff my Fusion again... *mmmmm
Don't be afraid, ever... cause this is just a ride.

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Post by zoomtheline » Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:28 pm

sequence wrote:they cant even get thier collective s**t together on Blofeld, so if I were U I wouldnt hold my breath here. :x
What's the air like up there on your massive horse?

Get down before you cause a mischief!