MEK or P08 ???

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
divine source

MEK or P08 ???

Post by divine source » Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:19 pm

hi this my first time that im sending masage here so i hope some one can help me.
i traid to find in the search about it but i didnt find any thing this way im asking this:
i wont to get new synth soon and i dont know with one it will be...
MEK or P08? i know that the MEK i analog/digital and the P08 is full analog,but the P08 dont have HP filter ??? (all the old analog roland's got one so it was sooo hard to make in a brend new P08 as well?),the MEK is mono and the P08 is poly,but what about the sound?
at the moment i got waldorf Q, nord rack 1, mam mb33 mk2 and i wont to know with one will compliment (MEK or P08) my synth?

im shore there is some one here that got those synth and can help me...
thenks.

evening

Post by evening » Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:58 pm

I'd say MEK - that will add another level of freakage to your setup.
the P08 is nice and analog, but i think between the Q and the NL1 you've got much of that territory covered - and the MEK is about 1/2 the price!

of course you may not want freakage....
Things are not as they seem, nor are they otherwise.

drummy
Gear: Univox K-2 Mini-Korg 2
Location: Northfield, Illinois or Milwaukee, Wisconsin (I go back and forth a lot)

Post by drummy » Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:18 pm

Okay, I didn't see the rest of your post. Yeah, get the MEK. The Q and Nord Lead have got you covered in the poly area.
Last edited by drummy on Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:38 pm

evening wrote:I'd say MEK - that will add another level of freakage to your setup.
the P08 is nice and analog, but i think between the Q and the NL1 you've got much of that territory covered - and the MEK is about 1/2 the price!

Totally agreed.

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt,Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom,NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080,MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex,Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Post by crystalmsc » Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:34 pm

evening wrote:I'd say MEK - that will add another level of freakage to your setup.

+1, that would instantly put a different color.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

evening

Post by evening » Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:26 pm

+1, that would instantly put a different color.

Especially if he has a yellow Q!
Things are not as they seem, nor are they otherwise.

xpander
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: UltraProteus, Xpander, 200e, Minimoogs, Radias, Prophet VS, PolyEvolver, Arp 2600

Post by xpander » Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:07 pm

if you go PEK, buy used as they dropped in price quite a bit since the P08 was introduced. however, i like the Prophet VS much more than the PEK. and like others, the endless rotary encoders are getting temperamental on my PEK already-- that's not something i thought i would see on the second newest hardware synth i own.

divine source

Post by divine source » Sat Feb 16, 2008 6:55 pm

thenks for the answer,i wish i had the yellow Q,but i got the phonix one....
well,i all ways wont the MEK(coz it analog/digital and monophinc),but since the P08 came out i start to think about it(i all ways wonted analog synth),
but now that you say the MEK will "add another level of freakage" for my setup - sound sweet,coz this is what im looking for.... 8)

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt,Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom,NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080,MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex,Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Post by crystalmsc » Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:17 am

divine source wrote:i wish i had the yellow Q,but i got the phonix one....
well
both designs are great. but to me, I like the phoenix better than the yellow, but like the blue one the best. but no matter which one you got, it's a greatly designed synth.
divine source wrote:the MEK will "add another level of freakage" for my setup - sound sweet,coz this is what im looking for.... 8)
it is the freakiest sounding beast from my other synths :)
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

divine source

Post by divine source » Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:35 am

both designs are great,after all its just a color,and anyway its about the sound,and for the price that i paid,i dont care for the color.... :D
about the MEK,more and more i start to like it coz it sound exactly what im looking for "it is the freakiest sounding beast from my other synths"
so for now,my next synth will be the MEK unless i will find some old juno in good condition (i always wanted old roland) or jp8000 (but i know that the Q/nord/jp - its all most the same,so.....),unless some one here suggest some think different,MEK will be the next synth.

ps.maybe some one here that got waldorf Q know how to find the prodaction nomber for the Q,coz since thay only make 100 or so Q's phonix edition,for what i know its the last nomber in the sirial nomber,this is the prodaction nomber???
thenks.