Sequencers - Knobs & note positions - ease of use.

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
stikygum

Sequencers - Knobs & note positions - ease of use.

Post by stikygum » Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:20 pm

Some hardware sequencers have knobs to change the notes of each step of a sequence. Sometimes I find myself trying over and over to turn the knob to the right note. Do you find having knobs to change note positions of a sequence unintuitive? Or do you fiddle around too much trying to find the right note for a step in the sequence? And this doesn't just apply for notes, for sequencing filter parameters or whatever, I prefer looking at a computer screen like in Logic to see the automation drawn. Then again, that's not the point of a hardware sequencer. I just rather increase the note by a jog wheel or even a button, just because I find knobs that don't have increments (it clicks to the next value/position when you turn it) not as easy to use as a jog wheel.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:45 pm

Many modular systems have a module called Quantizer (or similar). When you route your CV output through that, it quantizes the signal to correct semitone intervals. Thus, you always get perfectly on pitch sequences.

Like this:
http://www.analoguesystems.co.uk/modules/rs260.htm

I don't have it, and it will be my next buy. It is a b***h to adjust each step's CV to get perfect semitone pitches. Specially when you got 16 or more steps. When one step is slightly flat and another is slightly sharp, you sit and fine adjust forever. I can adjust pitches by ear, but it's still difficult to get perfect intervals always.

Another tip is to use another keyboard as pitch reference for each step.

Dirk

Re: Sequencers - Knobs & note positions - ease of use.

Post by Dirk » Sun Feb 17, 2008 4:13 pm

stikygum wrote:Some hardware sequencers have knobs to change the notes of each step of a sequence. Sometimes I find myself trying over and over to turn the knob to the right note. Do you find having knobs to change note positions of a sequence unintuitive? Or do you fiddle around too much trying to find the right note for a step in the sequence? And this doesn't just apply for notes, for sequencing filter parameters or whatever, I prefer looking at a computer screen like in Logic to see the automation drawn. Then again, that's not the point of a hardware sequencer. I just rather increase the note by a jog wheel or even a button, just because I find knobs that don't have increments (it clicks to the next value/position when you turn it) not as easy to use as a jog wheel.
I have a Doepfer A-100 sequenser system (2xA-155, A-154, A-156 + extra's) and a Sequentix P3. I love them and will never make a tune using a computer again. A quantizer is a must if you want to throw the knobs around (the P3 has alway's correct tuning cause its midi).
You can ajust the range of the knobs from 1 oct to 4 octaves on the Doepfer, the P3 has about 2 to 8 oct ranges depending on the setting. This is very usefull and will allow you to make tunes very fast.

But there is a hardware sequenser that does exactly what you want: The Doepfer Schaltwerk
As you can see it has no turning knobs just buttons so you can fine tune the sequences just like you want. Unfortunately it isn't in production anymore, but with some effort you can get them second hand. http://www.doepfer.de/sw.htm
All Animals Are Created Equal But Some Are More Equal Than Others.

Syn303
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Quite a bit...
Band: Syn303

Post by Syn303 » Sun Feb 17, 2008 4:45 pm

There is also the Future-Retro Mobius Sequencer which allows you place notes on each step, and has room for 256 16-step patterns. At a cheap price of $399. Unless you want a sequencer for polyrhythmic patterns of different lengths - which would require something either like a Moog 960 or dot.com 960 sequential controllers or the doepfer maq 16/3.

| syn303.bandcamp.com | soundcloud.com/syn303 |