Behringer BCR controllers, OSX and vintage gear

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
gunark
Gear: Roland: Alpha Juno 1, HS-60, JX-3P
Yamaha: CS01, AN1x, TX81Z
SCI Pro One
DSI: Tetr4, Mopho Keyboard
Casio HT-700
Vermona DRM Mk. III
Jen SX1000
Band: British Airwaves

Behringer BCR controllers, OSX and vintage gear

Post by gunark » Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:35 am

I'm looking for some expert opinions on the use of the BCF/BCR2000 controllers to, via OSX and probably Logic and Midiquest, control synths like Poly 800 II, JX-3P (I'll pick up the mod for it) and JV1080.

Is it easy to tailor to each synth? Sort of like, in the case of the JX, replacing the PG200? Also could I program synths like SCI Max with sys ex from it? What about kit like K1 and TG77?

If not, would something like Pocket Dial or even Phatboy suffice with judicious use of the environment in Logic? Isn't the programming software crossplatform in Java or something?

I'm not a total n00b but when it comes to synths and midi, having just got back into hardware, I'm trying to keep a hands on approach with all these synths if possible. It's partly a crying shame these synths are now ignored but it also means I get them cheap on ebay! JX3P - £100, S900 - £26 (with many floppies, very important), JV1080 - £100. Missed out on a E4XT - £50, K2000 - £67 and K1 - £27 tho :( Anyway my point being I'd like to be able to integrate them as well as I can in my setup really.

Thanks in advance!

steveman

Post by steveman » Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:18 pm

So long as your controller is talking MIDI to Logic (even via USB) it should work fine. Logic's environment is great for this type of thing as you can easily convert MIDI messages - even to Sysex strings. There are lot's of templates for older synths around too.
I've an old Kawai fader box that I've used for numerous odd things like this.

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Re: Behringer BCR controllers, OSX and vintage gear

Post by meatballfulton » Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:26 pm

gunark wrote:could I program synths like SCI Max with sys ex from it?
You can actually control the MAX or the SixTrak with MIDI CCs. Read this.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

logicalhippo

Post by logicalhippo » Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:52 am

I'm a big fan of the BCR2000!

However, with stuff from the dawn of midi like JX-3P and poly 800, you're not going to have a per-parameter midi interface, so really any midi control is pretty useless.

The TG77, K1, and the JV1080 you might have a different problem - too many parameters! The TG77 is really hard to control with any control surface simply because of the sheer number of parameters in the patch! You'd need a room full of knobs to control that!

I use my BCR2000 to control my JX-8p, and it works like a dream! However, the java programming interface supplied doesn't support sysex! So for sysex gear, like most 80s stuff, you'll have to use the script-based editor (you can find one on the yahoo site), or run it through something like pd or MAX or a logic environment.

gunark
Gear: Roland: Alpha Juno 1, HS-60, JX-3P
Yamaha: CS01, AN1x, TX81Z
SCI Pro One
DSI: Tetr4, Mopho Keyboard
Casio HT-700
Vermona DRM Mk. III
Jen SX1000
Band: British Airwaves

Post by gunark » Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:09 am

Thanks all, that's quite encouraging, I'll have to get my head around midi again then - oh the fun!

rpcfender

Post by rpcfender » Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:34 pm

The BCR200 is great and you can program it to send sysex messages on the encoders (not just the buttons). So you can have a stand alone setup with a preset on the BCR2000 for each synth (assuming you have less that 32 synths :) )
There is a lot of extra stuff you can do that you won't find on the Behringer's web site or in the manual.

Check out http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/bc2000