I tried the Moog LP today

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus C, Super Bass Station, M1r, TX81z, S760, Nord Rack 2, Nord Lead 3, JP-8000, JV-2080, SY99, Trinity Plus, EMX1, TB-03. Live 9, iMac MC309XX/A

I tried the Moog LP today

Post by Alex E » Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:35 am

I went to GC in Albany and they had one there, so I went to town on those knobs.

I had never played a Moog synthesizer before either, so this was a first for me.

I wouldn't call the Moog sound absolutely mind blowing, but definitely superior to any other analog I've ever played. It's how analog is supposed to taste. I even asked for a pair of monitor headphones to really get down in it. It took me a while to realize the headphone jack is on the front panel. I really like how the inputs and outputs are on the side.

At first I thought the lack of knobs would slow me down, but only barely. It was almost as good as if all the knobs were present.

Overall, I found nothing to whine about, and it's a very well designed synth, and we all know who designed it.

Maybe when I sell the Univibe I just got from my school I'll get one from Novamusik. Then I get free extras + shipping. 8)
soundcloud.com/vectron

tyrannosaurus mark

Post by tyrannosaurus mark » Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:40 am

the LP calls you!

"please buy me, feel my warm basses deep inside you"

creepy, but true
Moog LP + Casio SK1 and MT-75 + tube amp = good tone.

theplateauxofmirror
Gear: esq1, ion, dx7s, alpha juno 1, k-station

Post by theplateauxofmirror » Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:59 am

i had the exact same experience at the very same GC, actually. But i haven't really played anything else at that budget-level to compare it to. but it was fun.
ion - dx7s - alpha juno 1 - k-station - piano forte (buy it)

Neonlights84
Gear: Moog Minimoog Model D
Behringer DeepMind12
Novation UltraNova
Korg MS20 mini
Korg EMX-1
Band: Winter's Glow

Re: I tried the Moog LP today

Post by Neonlights84 » Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:00 am

Alex E wrote:I went to GC in Albany and they had one there, so I went to town on those knobs.

I had never played a Moog synthesizer before either, so this was a first for me.

I wouldn't call the Moog sound absolutely mind blowing, but definitely superior to any other analog I've ever played. It's how analog is supposed to taste. I even asked for a pair of monitor headphones to really get down in it. It took me a while to realize the headphone jack is on the front panel. I really like how the inputs and outputs are on the side.

At first I thought the lack of knobs would slow me down, but only barely. It was almost as good as if all the knobs were present.

Overall, I found nothing to whine about, and it's a very well designed synth, and we all know who designed it.

Maybe when I sell the Univibe I just got from my school I'll get one from Novamusik. Then I get free extras + shipping. 8)
Very cool first impression. I'm planning on hitting nova up as well. :)
Gear: Novation Ultranova, Korg Monotribe, Korg Electribe EMX-1, Electro-Harmonix Memory Boy, Lexicon MX200.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:02 pm

Wait until you hear it blaring out of good speakers at high volume. You'll never look back, and your VA's will be sad.

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt,Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom,NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080,MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex,Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Post by crystalmsc » Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:39 pm

nice initial impression, freebies are always nice to catch :wink:
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

30h5
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: SH-2, JV-880, D-110, M-1000, CS-15, FR-777, FR-XS, ESQ-1

Post by 30h5 » Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:46 pm

Interestingly enough Alex, if you went to the one on Wolf Rd, that was the very first Moog I had ever played as well too. I didn't have anytime to really tinker with it as Mrs. 30h5 was impatiently waiting in the car.

hyphen nation
Gear: boxes that make noises

Post by hyphen nation » Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:16 pm

30h5 wrote: as Mrs. 30h5 was impatiently waiting in the car.
dangerous...dangerous....I went into a shop saying "I'll only be 5 minutes, I want to see if they got anything good in..."

45 minutes later my wife walked in looking none too happy...I had to explain that the owner of the shop was chatting my ear off, as he had just gotten back from NAMM...

I haven't pulled that trick since...I have pretty much avoided music stores since that event...

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:42 pm

Ah, one of the benefits of being single. I spent 4-5 hours a couple weeks ago when I picked up the new modular case, playing with the Nord Wave and a massive RS-8500 AS system. And noone complained, the owner was just happy for the company :P

Customers even came by to chat seeing (and definately hearing) me mess with that monster.

otto
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by otto » Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:07 pm

If I could keep only 1 synth of all that I have owned it would be the LP. It's great, go for it.
hello darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again

SWAN

Post by SWAN » Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:31 pm

Im waiting for one to show up S/H in the UK. Tried one and I LOVE it! Feels like a real instrument. No matter how hard I tries I couldnt get a bad sound out of it ;)

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:34 pm

Same here. Once I managed to get a pure, clean sound from a simple patch (i.e. reset everything) and started programming it myself, I was floored. The interface is easy. The filter sounds awesome when it gets audio rate modulation.

Augment

Post by Augment » Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:11 pm

I just got one a week ago and can't keep my hands off of it.

I'd never played a Moog before (or any analog synth) and actually wasn't even aware that the Voyager and LP existed until about a year ago when I saw them in a shop. The Voyager wasn't set up to be played (or was broken, possibly), but the LP was all set to go. It only took me about 4 seconds to fall in love with the sound of it. Although it took me a year to get around to buying one. :D

But yeah, for being a "First Synth" for a guy who's never played a keyboard based instrument ever (and never tried programming a synth) it's about as good as an experience as you can hope for when it comes to learning synthesis.

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:25 pm

It really is a great synth. I know I sold mine...but as far as sound and pure "budget" analogs go...it is the one to beat.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

tyrannosaurus mark

Post by tyrannosaurus mark » Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:23 pm

Augment wrote:But yeah, for being a "First Synth" for a guy who's never played a keyboard based instrument ever (and never tried programming a synth) it's about as good as an experience as you can hope for when it comes to learning synthesis.
that's how it started for me, but after buying a selling a whole swag of famous synths I still haven't been able to beat the LP
Moog LP + Casio SK1 and MT-75 + tube amp = good tone.