I tried the Moog LP today

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
bustedllama
No Longer Registered

Post by bustedllama » Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:01 pm

Apparently OS updates are free.

http://moogmusic.com/detail.php?product ... uct_id=254

As I understand it, you just play them a magic MIDI file from your DAW/sequencer?

The instructions link doesn't work for me at the moment (Firefox latest/Fedora Linux 8).

Suburban Bather
Gear: Wretch Machine, Oberkorn3, Monotribe, TR-626, FX

Post by Suburban Bather » Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:57 am

SWAN wrote:
Neonlights84 wrote:
tyrannosaurus mark wrote: Is that possible-aren't tthe LFOs implemented in hardware?
Digital LFOs, you would have to access and tweak them from the menu.

Every time I go into Guitar Center I just can't help myself to mess with the LP for a while. I always have to remind my self that I don't have any room for it at the moment. As soon as I move, an LP will be mine!

Neonlights84
Gear: Moog Minimoog Model D
Behringer DeepMind12
Novation UltraNova
Korg MS20 mini
Korg EMX-1
Band: Winter's Glow

Post by Neonlights84 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:37 am

Suburban Bather wrote:
SWAN wrote:
Neonlights84 wrote: Digital LFOs, you would have to access and tweak them from the menu.

Every time I go into Guitar Center I just can't help myself to mess with the LP for a while. I always have to remind my self that I don't have any room for it at the moment. As soon as I move, an LP will be mine!

I must have the worst GC in the world by me...all they have is a microkorg.. They stopped carrying the Micron, and the rest is all Motifs and Fantoms and M3's oh my. No Voyager, LP, Dave smith stuff. s**t they don't even have nord leads...horrible.
Gear: Novation Ultranova, Korg Monotribe, Korg Electribe EMX-1, Electro-Harmonix Memory Boy, Lexicon MX200.

tyrannosaurus mark

Post by tyrannosaurus mark » Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:53 am

Haha, sounds like my local music shop :)

The new zealand equivalent of guitar center is just awful
Moog LP + Casio SK1 and MT-75 + tube amp = good tone.

Neonlights84
Gear: Moog Minimoog Model D
Behringer DeepMind12
Novation UltraNova
Korg MS20 mini
Korg EMX-1
Band: Winter's Glow

Post by Neonlights84 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:56 am

tyrannosaurus mark wrote:Haha, sounds like my local music shop :)

It seems like every other GC in the world is synth heaven....and all i can do its pitch bend a grand piano sample on a M3.....:(
Gear: Novation Ultranova, Korg Monotribe, Korg Electribe EMX-1, Electro-Harmonix Memory Boy, Lexicon MX200.

Suburban Bather
Gear: Wretch Machine, Oberkorn3, Monotribe, TR-626, FX

Post by Suburban Bather » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:46 pm

Mine has almost everything in their catalog. All of the DSI stuff, Nord(they even have a used Nord Lead 1 $8 or 700? right now), Access, Korg, etc... They do however never have a Voyager and the Moogerfoogers(no need to test those anyways, just get em) in stock.

bustedllama
No Longer Registered

Post by bustedllama » Sat Feb 23, 2008 3:19 am

Sounds familiar.

Mine has an LP on some huge precarious shelf where no body can get to it, no Prophets or anything else cool like that.

I think there's a Nord Electro and the cheap Microkorg and then a whole slew of romplers (zzzz....)

Kinda sucks but it's probably good that there's nothing there to tempt me.

The Sam Ash has one Virus that is apparently not plugged in, just so it can mock people. But also very weak on the synth selection. Yet like 9 gazillion guitars and basses. Lame :)

niemand630
Band: angel eyes

Post by niemand630 » Sat Feb 23, 2008 5:40 am

I thought i'd like the voyager way more than the LP, but at the studio my band records at there is a voyager and i try to mess around with it any chance i get, but i never seem to find anything i love. i definitely dont care for the presets, but even beyond that, i can never hit a sweet spot...however, the two times i played the LP i found several patches that just felt instantly usable and with some quick tweaking even better....i keep thinking that the LP would be more limited that the voyager, but im not sure anymore, kinda gassin for one now....

Hey Neon....if you are in naperville, i just played a little phatty at sam ash in villa park. its their synth of the month. they get decent synths occasionallys.
if you want to try the voyager and the prophet '08 you have to go to the GC on halsted in the city. i played both there last month
Learning the hard way: ax60, s612(2), s900(2), s2000(2),emu: esi32, emax 1 & 2, eiiixp, eiii, drumulator, yamaha tx81z, tambourine. SCI: Prophet 2002, pro1, drumtraks; Roland: msq-700, s760;korg dss1, esq1, tascam 122mk2......

Hossinfeffa
Gear: Roland D-50, MT-32, Korg DSS-1, DDD-1, MS-20, Yamaha FB-01, PSS-560, Akai AX-80, MfB 522, Arturia MiniBrute

Post by Hossinfeffa » Sat Feb 23, 2008 5:51 am

tyrannosaurus mark wrote:Haha, sounds like my local music shop :)

Sounds like the Guitar Center's here as well. MicroKorg's and Juno-D's galore but none of the actual upper level synths.
Well fffff.

roboctopus
Gear: Juno 60, Moog Little Phatty SE II, Moog Prodigy (dead), Moogerfoogers: MF-101 & 102, Korg ER-1, guitars, banjos, basses, drums

Post by roboctopus » Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:01 am

Here in Austin the "good" guitar center has an LP. But they seem to have gotten rid of their DSI stuff. A shame. I fiddled with a phatty just last week and did not get blown away. I was wondering if it was a replacement for my Prodigy, but I don't think it is. I mean, it does a lot more, and you can save patches, but the Prodigy has an immediacy I like. Plus, the sync sounds on the phatty sounded tame compared to the Prodigy. I always thought the prodigy was sort of a bratty sounding synth, though. So it makes sense that the sync sound is ruder.

Still, the LP seemed pretty nice.
That's the History Eraser Button.

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus C, Super Bass Station, M1r, TX81z, S760, Nord Rack 2, Nord Lead 3, JP-8000, JV-2080, SY99, Trinity Plus, EMX1, TB-03. Live 9, iMac MC309XX/A

Post by Alex E » Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:24 am

I guess I have a good GC then.

When I was there there was also a Juno-6, and a JX-3p, both in mint condition.

In the past times I've been there they've had a Broken Kawai SX-201, A DX7, a Mirage, and a CZ-101.

I was making some nasty basslines on the J6 with the arpeggiator, and I must say, it really does sound better than my Juno-106, albeit just a little bit.
The build quality is better too.
soundcloud.com/vectron

lovedroid
Gear: MEK, LP, uQ, P6, BS, SQ80, UF8, WS, Omen6, Sonar
Band: New Modern Angels

Post by lovedroid » Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:48 pm

llamastorm wrote:Apparently OS updates are free.

http://moogmusic.com/detail.php?product ... uct_id=254

As I understand it, you just play them a magic MIDI file from your DAW/sequencer?
Yup, that's true. You just load the file and press play. :)
But they also provide the updates as a small program that is supposed to update the synth by itself (I haven't tried it).

And the OS updates are actually different between the TE and SE, due to the small hardware differences. But the features in the updates should be the same!

thestreets
Gear: Maschine Mikro, Electribe ESX, KP3, Korg R3, Microkorg.

Post by thestreets » Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:41 am

Ahhh man the guitar center I go to has had the same damn synths for so long. They might add an updated Motif every so often. Yippee. I'm tight with the managment so I've been telling them to get some new stuff, specifically analog. As, oh my god im just realizing this now, that i have never played an analog synth.

Alright well im off to Albany!

insky

Post by insky » Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:06 am

Wow you guys are lucky...in my town (of about 100,000+ people) we don't even have a Guitar Center...The closest one is in Vegas about 2 hours away. The only keyboard instruments they have here are ones like the Yamaha PSR series. The highest quality we have is the Casio Privia series. No romplers, no samplers, no drum machines, no mics...just your basic guitar stuff. So I don't want to hear any complaining about only having MicroKorgs and DSI stuff.
Stuff I own:
X Station
ESQ-1
JX-8P
Poly 800
MaxiKorg 800DV
Elka Rhapsody 610

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:02 pm

I first found the Voyager in a guitar store on the very topmost shelf, impossible to reach. The owner said it was to keep kids from messing with it and greasing it up. So you had to ask them to bring it down to try.
And it was so heavy the guy almost fell down from the ladder when he brought it for me :P

Later when I checked by the shop, it was displayed on elbow height.