I tried the Moog LP today

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
lowpass

Post by lowpass » Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:38 pm

hyphen nation wrote:
30h5 wrote: as Mrs. 30h5 was impatiently waiting in the car.
dangerous...dangerous....I went into a shop saying "I'll only be 5 minutes, I want to see if they got anything good in..."

45 minutes later my wife walked in looking none too happy...I had to explain that the owner of the shop was chatting my ear off, as he had just gotten back from NAMM...

I haven't pulled that trick since...I have pretty much avoided music stores since that event...
ha ha this is exactly the scene! Shopping with wife downtown Rome, and I said "I go inside here just 5 minutes I want to hear the Korg R3". I didn't like it at all, so after 1 minute I was getting back out when I saw the LP just underneat - plugged the earphone and 20 minutes went by in a flash...and yes she was quite upset!
...btw now I got one - but I bought it alone in NYC.
Synthesizers.com 44-space modular, Moog Little Phatty SE, MKS-80+MPG-80, MKS-70+PG-800, ION, Q rack, MWXT black, JD-800, JD-990, Nord Electro 73, EX5R, SY85, TG77, TG33, TD-10, CZ-1, Wavestation SR, Kurzweil K2000R, Hohner Pianet, Rhodes Mark V

you + me + my amplifier

Post by you + me + my amplifier » Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:29 am

lowpass wrote:
hyphen nation wrote:
30h5 wrote: as Mrs. 30h5 was impatiently waiting in the car.
dangerous...dangerous....I went into a shop saying "I'll only be 5 minutes, I want to see if they got anything good in..."

45 minutes later my wife walked in looking none too happy...I had to explain that the owner of the shop was chatting my ear off, as he had just gotten back from NAMM...

I haven't pulled that trick since...I have pretty much avoided music stores since that event...
ha ha this is exactly the scene! Shopping with wife downtown Rome, and I said "I go inside here just 5 minutes I want to hear the Korg R3". I didn't like it at all, so after 1 minute I was getting back out when I saw the LP just underneat - plugged the earphone and 20 minutes went by in a flash...and yes she was quite upset!
...btw now I got one - but I bought it alone in NYC.
aww when my man-friend got his LP i came with him to get it and it was super fun and we were both excited... that way nobody feels unhappy!
My band, Little Pictures: www.myspace.com/lotsoflittlepictures

Shanesaw
Gear: Ultranova, Minibrute, Microbrute, Spark, microKORG, microX,

Post by Shanesaw » Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:11 am

I love my LP! Love it so much that I traded a PEK for it! Crazy? Yeah..I know, that was a whole separate post, but I really don't miss the PEK that much.
Favorite features: the filter, and wall shakin'- earthquaken'- window breakin' bass.
I wished it had a sync-able LFO but that would be my only gripe.

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Post by OriginalJambo » Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:12 pm

Shanesaw wrote:I wished it had a sync-able LFO but that would be my only gripe.
I believe the next OS firmware revision will add MIDI sync options for the LFO. :thumbup:

sequence

Post by sequence » Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:50 pm

Shanesaw wrote:I love my LP! Love it so much that I traded a PEK for it! Crazy? Yeah..I know, that was a whole separate post, but I really don't miss the PEK that much. Favorite features: the filter, and wall shakin'- earthquaken'- window breakin' bass. I wished it had a sync-able LFO but that would be my only gripe.
Wanna love yr LP even more?? Get a CP-251 Control Processor that will turn that pup into a modular of sorts (2nd LFO with attentuator and lag, noise, S&H.) Check out the back of yr owner's manual where they explain how CP 251 integrates with LP. h**l I'm thinking about a second CP-251 and tying that pup in! 3 LFOS! HA! :D
twentyfirst century fizMO man

Shanesaw
Gear: Ultranova, Minibrute, Microbrute, Spark, microKORG, microX,

Post by Shanesaw » Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:24 pm

I've only read about the CP-251 a little. Sure would like to try one though. Got any sounds we can hear utilizing it?

sequence

Post by sequence » Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:43 pm

Shanesaw wrote:I've only read about the CP-251 a little. Sure would like to try one though. Got any sounds we can hear utilizing it?
Check out Jordan Ruess using the CP-251 on the MM website:

http://www.moogmusic.com/detail.php?main_product_id=12

Neonlights84
Gear: Moog Minimoog Model D
Behringer DeepMind12
Novation UltraNova
Korg MS20 mini
Korg EMX-1
Band: Winter's Glow

Post by Neonlights84 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:53 am

Well today i took the plunge! I went into Sam Ash, and walked out with my first Moog ever. My first impressions are that i love it to death already. They keyboard action is so incredibly nice, i love the interface and the sound.

My only requests would be a second LFO, and independent osc tune knobs in each block. Other than that, wow... 8) 8)
Gear: Novation Ultranova, Korg Monotribe, Korg Electribe EMX-1, Electro-Harmonix Memory Boy, Lexicon MX200.

tyrannosaurus mark

Post by tyrannosaurus mark » Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:56 am

welcome to the family! :)

Hmm, you mean the ability to tune osc one as well as osc two? Is that a common feature?

You get a second LFO with the CP-watchamacallit, and you can get a third ocs with the freq box (right?)
Moog LP + Casio SK1 and MT-75 + tube amp = good tone.

Neonlights84
Behringer DeepMind12
Novation UltraNova
Korg MS20 mini
Korg EMX-1

Post by Neonlights84 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:09 am

tyrannosaurus mark wrote:welcome to the family! :)

Hmm, you mean the ability to tune osc one as well as osc two? Is that a common feature?

You get a second LFO with the CP-watchamacallit, and you can get a third ocs with the freq box (right?)

Well on my old CS-15, in each osc block there was a tuning knob...i really with there was something like that on the LP..also i have found the tuning to be very sensitive, so it takes some practice to get a nice smooth detuned sound...other than that, holy sh!t .. :)

And yea, my next purchase outside of a LP gig bag is the CP-251.
Gear: Novation Ultranova, Korg Monotribe, Korg Electribe EMX-1, Electro-Harmonix Memory Boy, Lexicon MX200.

tyrannosaurus mark

Post by tyrannosaurus mark » Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:13 am

Can you believe that in the big new zealand music chain they sell little phatties but not the gig bags or hardcases? Very frustrating!

Oh ok, so would you detune both osc either way a little for trancey leads?

Yeah, the osc detune knob is fairly sensitive, you've really got to turn it with yours ears rather than your eyes, if you know what I mean

Try syncing up the oscs for really warm bass sounds, I've found the osc sync of the LP to be standout
Moog LP + Casio SK1 and MT-75 + tube amp = good tone.

Neonlights84
Behringer DeepMind12
Novation UltraNova
Korg MS20 mini
Korg EMX-1

Post by Neonlights84 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:17 am

tyrannosaurus mark wrote:Can you believe that in the big new zealand music chain they sell little phatties but not the gig bags or hardcases? Very frustrating!

Oh ok, so would you detune both osc either way a little for trancey leads?

Yeah, the osc detune knob is fairly sensitive, you've really got to turn it with yours ears rather than your eyes, if you know what I mean

Try syncing up the oscs for really warm bass sounds, I've found the osc sync of the LP to be standout
Yea i love that detuned bass and lead sound.. I was wondering how the sync is implemented on the LP...i know it can do that classic Cars type of sync, but is it necessary to get those full thick basses? I'm sure I'll learn more once i read the entire manual. Thanks for the tips and the greeting to the Moog community. :D

CapnMarvel

Post by CapnMarvel » Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:30 am

My local GC in Plano actually has more synths than the 'central' North Dallas one I went out of my way to visit today (I wanted to see if they had any DSI stuff - no dice).

Anyhow, the last time I was in the local GC they had a LP and a Voyager set up side by side. I have to say that while the Voyager is an impressive looking beast, the Phatty had 'the' sound, and I had an almost unnatural affinity for finding neat sounds on it. The Voyager seemed, I dunno, more disconnected and less immediate. And sounded much less punchy. I know which one of the two I'm eyeing closely...

As a matter of self-disclosure, my only previous Moog experience is from my MG-1, which is a helluva lot of fun for being as limited as it is, but it's not exactly a Minimoog Model D either.

sequence

Post by sequence » Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:35 pm

wow. A GC with a Voyager. Nice management.

Pilot352

Post by Pilot352 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:22 pm

Hey Neonlights84,

Congrats on the *new toy*!!! I'm glad to assist you in the new addition to your collection!! :wink:

Enjoy!

-Pilot

P.S.

Here's a photo of your old AN1x in it's new home!!

http://pilot352.home.comcast.net/~pilot ... C_4403.JPG
Analog: Mono/Poly, Prophet '08, Juno 106
Digital: Kurzweil SP88, Yamaha DX11, Kawai K4, MS2K, AN1x
Modules: Triton (loaded), Motif ES, MS2KR, E-Mu Proteus 2K, TR626 DM, Roland U220
New Addition: Fender Rhodes 73 Mark I
So much gear... So little time!!!