I tried the Moog LP today

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
theplateauxofmirror
Gear: esq1, ion, dx7s, alpha juno 1, k-station

Post by theplateauxofmirror » Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:00 pm

I gotta start checking out Guitar Center more; all they have that I find interesting is the LP. I'd love to play some DSI stuff or a Virus--or all the stuff I can't afford, basically.
Like seven years ago, I found a used Jupiter-8 at Mars Music; I was excited, but i was like 15 and didn't really understand synthesis, so I couldn't get it to make a sound. Wish I could play with one now. It was in nice shape and 1500 dollars then.
ion - dx7s - alpha juno 1 - k-station - piano forte (buy it)

Neonlights84
Gear: Moog Minimoog Model D
Behringer DeepMind12
Novation UltraNova
Korg MS20 mini
Korg EMX-1
Band: Winter's Glow

Post by Neonlights84 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:09 pm

Pilot352 wrote:Hey Neonlights84,

Congrats on the *new toy*!!! I'm glad to assist you in the new addition to your collection!! :wink:

Enjoy!

-Pilot

P.S.

Here's a photo of your old AN1x in it's new home!!

http://pilot352.home.comcast.net/~pilot ... C_4403.JPG
Hey man...thanks! Thats a really cool setup you have there. Hope old Annie1x is treating you well. :)
Gear: Novation Ultranova, Korg Monotribe, Korg Electribe EMX-1, Electro-Harmonix Memory Boy, Lexicon MX200.

polardark

Post by polardark » Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:01 pm

How come all these threads turn into threads about "aww, my local guitar center doesn't have that"... Just order online already... or don't buy synths from a music store with "guitar" in its' name.

CapnMarvel

Post by CapnMarvel » Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:17 pm

I do only buy online. I haven't bought anything at GC besides cables and guitar strings, ever.

The problem is not being able to demo a product before buying. Any more, GC is the only game in town for demoing musical instruments of any type (this is true in Dallas - up north you have Sam Ash as an alternative, but we don't. Mars used to be around but they're long gone now.). They've pushed out most or all of the old mom and pop stores, and many of them never really carried synths anyway. There's odd piano stores around that may have a few synths buried away, but that's pretty rare and I wouldn't expect them to carry the bleeding edge of synth technology. For example, I now know that the Little Phatty interface isn't confusing at all, and I was afraid it would be before playing one. I also now am convinced that the Voyager isn't really worth the $1800+ premium over the Little Phatty despite looking better on paper, because I was able to actually put my hands on one.

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Post by OriginalJambo » Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:34 am

polardark wrote:How come all these threads turn into threads about "aww, my local guitar center doesn't have that"... Just order online already... or don't buy synths from a music store with "guitar" in its' name.
What if you know...want to demo a synth before dropping $1400? Is that too much to ask? Guitar Centre sounds a lot like Sound Control over here in the sense that they both seem to be rather large, national chains with a lot of clout - do you think all those tiny family owned music stores are going to stock the LP?

To put it into perspective if I had wanted to demo a LP when I bought mine I'd have to have travelled all the way down to Turnkey in London. That's 500 odd miles just to demo a synth.

When I ordered mine online I took a risk thinking it'd be what I wanted and in my case it paid off, but you can't expect everyone to be like me.

sequence

Post by sequence » Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:39 am

Neonlights84 wrote:Well today i took the plunge! I went into Sam Ash, and walked out with my first Moog ever.
dude welcome to the family. Im only 6 mos in front of ya. U will soon discover LP will be yr "desert island" synth, if U get my drift. :wink:
twentyfirst century fizMO man

bustedllama
No Longer Registered

Post by bustedllama » Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:57 am

Synths are kind of expensive to not demo.

I bought the Moog just because it was a Moog though -- that's a safe bet. I can't say I have had the same experience with Moogerfooger stuff (kind of tame for me, but that's just me), but they make well built stuff.

Plus it's made in my home state :)

I can't imagine dropping $3000 or so on a synth and not liking it, meaning I really don't have much desire to try the expensive stuff.

Ultimately the Moog can't do super wild and crazy sounds, but I'm going with effects (I think) for that where appropriate. But the raw bass stuff is sweet though.

(If only polyphonic and velocity sensitive... well, that would be expensive...)

Neonlights84
Gear: Moog Minimoog Model D
Behringer DeepMind12
Novation UltraNova
Korg MS20 mini
Korg EMX-1
Band: Winter's Glow

Post by Neonlights84 » Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:14 am

sequence wrote:
Neonlights84 wrote:Well today i took the plunge! I went into Sam Ash, and walked out with my first Moog ever.
dude welcome to the family. Im only 6 mos in front of ya. U will soon discover LP will be yr "desert island" synth, if U get my drift. :wink:
Well hey thanks..it feels good, it really does.

And to the fellow who said we should "stop whining" about GC's and what not..That really isn't fair comment to make. Someone made a good point about wanting to demo these things before we drop serious coin on them. And in some cases, the instruments are so unaffordable, that my only chance to play them would be in a place like GC. So I will continue to whine about
my pathetic demo'ing choices.
Gear: Novation Ultranova, Korg Monotribe, Korg Electribe EMX-1, Electro-Harmonix Memory Boy, Lexicon MX200.

tyrannosaurus mark

Post by tyrannosaurus mark » Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:45 am

Neonlights84 wrote:So I will continue to whine about
my pathetic demo'ing choices.
Haha, me too!
Moog LP + Casio SK1 and MT-75 + tube amp = good tone.