Ladytron (& Electribes?)

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
ronP
Gear: BEHRINGER Xenyx 802; CASIO MT-70; KORG EA-1 mkII, MicroKorg, microSTATION, MicroX, Mini-KP, Monotron; ROLAND Micro Cube; ZOOM FS01, MRS-4B, MRT-3B
Band: Keyfish

Ladytron (& Electribes?)

Post by ronP » Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:21 pm

The sounds, sequences, and songs of Ladytron have really grabbed me over the past year. I was late to discover the band, but now it's right up there with the old guard like Depeche Mode, Duran Duran, Porcupine Tree, and other bands that play keysynths manually, and live.

The band is . . . an actual band, one that plays as well as programs. I love their use of transister organs (and synth approximations) combined with hard-sync monosynth basslines, vocoder used for chord progressions, and string machine pads.

My research indicates the band is currently pretty much an advertisement for KORG gear, although I have spied a ROLAND Juno 6 and SCI Pro One in some older live pics.

I'm curious, though, if anyone knows: Has Ladytron ever used an Electribe? Considering their loyalty to KORG gear, it seems odd they would omit this entire line of instruments from their sound.

BEHRINGER Xenyx 802; CASIO Casiotone MT-70; KORG Electribe EA-1mkII, microKORG, mini-KP; QUIKLOK T20 T-REX Series X;
ROLAND Micro-CUBE; YAMAHA PSS130, PSS140; ZOOM FS-01, MRS-4B, MRT-3B

Wanted: BOSS DR-110; CASIO CZ-101; YAMAHA CS-01, DX-100

Logan 5
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: The Metamorph

Post by Logan 5 » Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:28 pm

I love Ladytron-saw them live only once but they were amazing!
The two girls both had MS20's I think and they also use a Jen SX1000.they sounded superb live and between each track it was so great to hear them creating each sound on their respective machines ready for the next song!
I am not aware that they have used Electribes but I am sure someone out there would know better than I would.
FUSION 6HD,MICROKORG,CS2X,EM-1,VOLCA,JV1000,CIRCUIT,SH32,HT700,MMT-8,SU10,VSS30,,RT323,SYNSONICS DRUMS
NO COMPUTER!

https://twitter.com/TheMetamorphUK
https://themetamorph.bandcamp.com/

WWBJD

Post by WWBJD » Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:51 pm

The only synths I noticed on stage were MS-20's.
6, 60, 600 and other assorted things.

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:57 pm

I have heard that they, within the past few years, switched the MS-20s out live and replaced them with Korg MS-2000s and Microkorgs due to their availability and reliability on the road.

Here's the article where I read that:

http://remixmag.com/mag/remix_grace_notes/

Has a kit list as well.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

Syn303
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Quite a bit...
Band: Syn303

Post by Syn303 » Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:59 pm

According to sources Ladytron only use Analog Equipment to some degree? but some sources state they also use a Juno-G, SH-201, MS2000 etc

@ JSR - that equipment list is old now, that was 2004 :?:
Last edited by Syn303 on Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
| syn303.bandcamp.com | soundcloud.com/syn303 |

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:59 pm

I'm speculating uselessly here, but I doubt Electribes are part of their aesthetic - it's mostly older analogues they use, I think: MS series, Lambda (or was it a Sigma?), that kind of thing.

ronP
Gear: BEHRINGER Xenyx 802; CASIO MT-70; KORG EA-1 mkII, MicroKorg, microSTATION, MicroX, Mini-KP, Monotron; ROLAND Micro Cube; ZOOM FS01, MRS-4B, MRT-3B
Band: Keyfish

Post by ronP » Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:02 pm

JSRockit wrote:I have heard that they, within the past few years, switched the MS-20s out live and replaced them with Korg MS-2000s and Microkorgs due to their availability and reliability on the road.

Here's the article where I read that:

http://remixmag.com/mag/remix_grace_notes/

Has a kit list as well.

Great link, JSRockit! You da man . . .

BEHRINGER Xenyx 802; CASIO Casiotone MT-70; KORG Electribe EA-1mkII, microKORG, mini-KP; QUIKLOK T20 T-REX Series X;
ROLAND Micro-CUBE; YAMAHA PSS130, PSS140; ZOOM FS-01, MRS-4B, MRT-3B

Wanted: BOSS DR-110; CASIO CZ-101; YAMAHA CS-01, DX-100

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Re: Ladytron (& Electribes?)

Post by JSRockit » Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:02 pm

ronP wrote:.

I'm curious, though, if anyone knows: Has Ladytron ever used an Electribe? Considering their loyalty to KORG gear, it seems odd they would omit this entire line of instruments from their sound.

I wouldn't call it odd...the electribes are not really a players type of synth...it is more a of a sequencing geek type of box.

smallsynth
Gear: jp03, dx21, bass station, k-station, gnat, buzz, cs01-mkii, eml-101, eh-401
Band: resterisk

Post by smallsynth » Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:39 pm

i love ladytron. i've never heard of them using electribes, as nathanscribe it's not really part of their aesthetic: neither in performance or in sound. the article js linked to demonstrates this. electribes are not usually used for this kind of sound, and ladytron is also about a cohesive presentation.

i've seen them live a couple of times, and even with a full band i'm convinced they use backing tracks. if they do it all live -- even with sequencing -- i would be so blown away. and maybe they do. i just have a hard time figuring out why you'd do it with sequencing with other instruments when you'd have to play to the sequence anyways, and the originals are so good.

-geoffrey smallsynth

gfriden

Post by gfriden » Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:52 pm

Oh! I thought this thread was about the Roxy Music song! :o Never knew there was a band that went by that name as well. Couldn't help but wonder what electribes had to do with a song recorded in 1972 though. :wink:
Art is not a copy of the real world. One of the damn things is enough.

space6oy
Gear: vimpat, citalopram & vitamin D.

Post by space6oy » Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:56 pm

the article JSRockit pointed out is a very good one, though it's just focused on what they were doing w/ touring after their last album. that was their first time to use a live drummer and i haven't found any mention of what they've used for drum machines prior to his addition.

no evidence of it or anything like that, but i wouldn't be surprised at all if they used an ER-1 or EM-1 on 604. lots of 4 pattern, 64 step drum lines...a simplicity electribes put right in front of you.

premieklovn
Gear: T.O.N.T.O
Band: Monomen

Post by premieklovn » Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:10 pm

Ive seen them live twice and I think they sound like shite. Why did they have to go "rocknroll" live? With the drummer etc. Both times it sounded like synths drenched in mud. Sad.

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:16 pm

Well, I found proof that they at least own an electribe:

http://www.korg.com/sbytes/article.asp?ArtistID=274

space6oy
Gear: vimpat, citalopram & vitamin D.

Post by space6oy » Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:22 pm

JSRockit wrote:Well, I found proof that they at least own an electribe:

http://www.korg.com/sbytes/article.asp?ArtistID=274
nice work :)
like i said, i'm no pro at sound identification, but my EM-1 has samples that are all REALLY close to the sounds in playgirl's beat. not surprised at all that that article says they do own an ER-1.

michael stein
Band: S U R V I V E

Post by michael stein » Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:40 pm

Heres what they had last year when I saw them. 3 korg ms2000s, 1 Ms-20, 1 MS-10 (told me it has better bass than the ms-20), a Roland sh-09 hiding in the back. That was the synth line up. Who knows what is in their studio.